brake cooling duct. your experiences ?

masterjr33

Established Member
Looking to get a set of brake cooling ducts put on the 04 cobra.

Looking for any experiences with a certain brand. or fitament issues?
what brand do you have?
how did they go on?
how do the come off!.
did you get a noticable effect?
Who installed then for you?

do they go on your factory brakes?
are your brakes upgraded? do they fit your "aftermarket" or upgraded brakes as easy as they fit the factory caliper and rotor ?

thanks guys.

weaselp1

Established Member
I have a custom set that I had made - you had to take the front spindle off and brake dust shield off to get them on - but they are solid and don't rattle and aren't coming off anytime soon. They made a huge difference on the open track! My brakes were 150 degrees cooler coming off the track than any other cobra at the event I did.

If you arent planning on open tracking, they are really not worth the time or effort IMHO. The tube routes from the front opening next to the fog light and connects to the plate behind the front spindle and forces the air onto the back of the rotor.

Here is a pic of the tube before it was connected: (you can only see the tube, because the duct is hidden behind my big brake kit. But you could use stock brakes with them also, just have to remove the brake dust shield

2013042295194540_zps7091570b.jpg

masterjr33

Established Member
nice pics..
I smoked the brakes at the track down here in florida in about 5-6 laps.
very short track. lots of hard 90* turns. short straights.
so yes. its for the track.

weaselp1

Established Member
nice pics..
I smoked the brakes at the track down here in florida in about 5-6 laps.
very short track. lots of hard 90* turns. short straights.
so yes. its for the track.

if you arent running a big brake kit, i would say that some brake ducts are necessary...that and super super high temp carbotech race pads. I never had the cobra on the track with the stock brakes. I was advised against using the stock brakes while at the track due to the reasons you are explaining

SlowSVT

Established Member
Not really needed for the street unless you drive like a maniac but definitely needed on a road racer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9eb8sKq30

The best brake duct backing plates are custom made for the rotor/caliper combo. That way you can get it to seal the gaps to minimize the air from bleeding-off and not getting sucked in to the rotor veins. If you buy generic backing plates chances are they will leak like a siv.

Here are the backing plates I made for 14" Wilwood rotors and Bear 6R calipers. Excuse the duct tape they are finished but I didn't have any photos of them on my Photobucket account but you get the idea. I'll post up the finished plates later. These are made to accept a 3" hose.

Mustangfrontbrakecoolingplate5.jpg

Mustangfrontbrakecoolingplate3.jpg

Mustangfrontbrakecoolingplate7.jpg

Mustangfrontbrakecoolingplate2.jpg

Baer6Rcaliperon14Wilwood2.jpg

Last edited:

weaselp1

Established Member
Not really needed for the street unless you drive like a maniac but definitely needed on a roads racer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9eb8sKq30

The best brake duct backing plates are custom made for the rotor/caliper combo. That way you can get it to seal the gaps to minimize the air from bleeding-off and not getting sucked in to the rotor veins. If you buy generic backing plates chances are they will leak like a siv.

Here are the backing plates I made for 14" Wilwood rotors and Bear 6R calipers. Excuse the duct tape they are finished but I didn't have any photos of them on my Photobucket account but you get the idea. I'll post up the finished plates later. These are made to accept a 3" hose.

Mustangfrontbrakecoolingplate5.jpg

Mustangfrontbrakecoolingplate3.jpg

Mustangfrontbrakecoolingplate7.jpg

Mustangfrontbrakecoolingplate2.jpg

Baer6Rcaliperon14Wilwood2.jpg

Awesome SlowSVT - that is exactly what I had done with my setup! :)

Users who are viewing this thread