Brake dust accumulation on PP front wheels

13CobraOTB

Established Member
Just under 400 miles and I've noticed a substantial amount of break dust accumulation on the front wheels. Is this normal break-in or does the car just have really soft pads? Wheels are a lot of work to clean. Anyone else have this issue?

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
This has been talked about quite a bit. It's the pads Ford put on the cars. Known for high dust.

Draiter

Established Member
Tons of dust...... Two solutions... Use Rejex on the rims or get ceramic pads when available.
They are a bitch to clean.. I bought a package of cotton knit gloves from home depot. Put cleaner on rims,.a glove on and use my hand to clean them... They come out perfect... Much easier than a brush.
Could also try Armor All wheel protectent on them to make them easier to clean...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

VaporDude

Established Member
I just put on the Amor All Wheel Protectant. I'll let you know how well it works after this weekend when I put about 300 miles on the car.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Alot of cars are like this now- dust like crazy- ever seen an Audi S5? Sucks

13CobraOTB

Established Member
any replacement pads on the market yet?

F

Called Ford SVT. Told no FRPP alternative. Referred to Hawk Racing that makes the pads used on the Cobra Jet. Spoke with Eric at Hawk 440-528-3214 and was told they have had several other inquiries for a replacement that doesn't create as much dust. They will eventually offer both street and competition versions, each promised to generate less dust. Still in the R&D process--maybe if others called and voiced similar concerns, the alternates will get to market sooner. Change out definitely on my to-do list.

peteypab2133

Established Member
Called Ford SVT. Told no FRPP alternative. Referred to Hawk Racing that makes the pads used on the Cobra Jet. Spoke with Eric at Hawk 440-528-3214 and was told they have had several other inquiries for a replacement that doesn't create as much dust. They will eventually offer both street and competition versions, each promised to generate less dust. Still in the R&D process--maybe if others called and voiced similar concerns, the alternates will get to market sooner. Change out definitely on my to-do list.

good deal!

USV8PWR

Established Member
Brake dust is just an annoyance that comes with driving a high performance vehicle. My last Corvette produced brake dust like crazy. I recall reading somewhere a lot of folks getting pissed at Porsche due to brake dust issues and their CEO, chief engineer, or someone like that quipping that if Porsche had discovered a better brake pad that produced less dust and lasted as long they would be using them!! Yes, Hawk and many other brands make pads that stop much better than our factory ones and make less dust. However those pads won't last nearly as long, eat up rotors like crazy, and a lot of times make even more noise. It's a tradeoff. For my Corvette I liked Hawk's cermanic pad. But cermanic pads do not work well on the track.

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
Just under 400 miles and I've noticed a substantial amount of break dust accumulation on the front wheels. Is this normal break-in or does the car just have really soft pads? Wheels are a lot of work to clean. Anyone else have this issue?
Think the Shelby is bad, try having 2 SRT vehicles. I could literally clean both Jeeps wheels once a week, maybe twice if a heavy driving load that week.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I second using the armorall wheel protector, you might end up using the whole can with that pattern but they sure do clean up easier (did on my lightning anyway)

Users who are viewing this thread