Brake Light Comes On Intermittently?

Juiced-03

Established Member
I have noticed for a while now that my brake light (E-brake light on the dash) will come on while driving. It usually comes on during hard braking and sometimes while applying the brakes on turns. Has anyone else had this problem? It doesnt seem like a big deal, but more of a nuisance than anything.

03DOHC

Established Member
Check the fluid level in the brake reservoir. Maybe you have a short in the e-brake switch?:shrug:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Check the fluid level in the brake reservoir. Maybe you have a short in the e-brake switch?:shrug:

ahh good idea,,,I think I am a little low now that I think about it!

ronreid03

Established Member
I had a similar problem early on and it turned out to be a bad connection on the convertible top switch. You might check around the e brake switch. According to the repair manual, the only two things that make the light come on are low fluid and the ebrake.

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
ahh good idea,,,I think I am a little low now that I think about it!

I would be a little worried if your brake fluid is low this soon, pad and shoe wear will make it go down slightly, but I would not think enough to make the light go on. Check for leaks around wheels and master if you are that low on fluid, just in case.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Every Ford I ever had had with brake fluid sensor had brake light come on with normal pad wear significantly before pads needed changing. This is the case with hard acceleration or deceleration, which causes the fluid to slosh around the reservoir. However, you should still check for leaks and excessive pad wear.

cobra101

Established Member
Same here and it still does it. I will check fluid tomorrow.

It only happens to me when I am hard on the gas and then goto the brake with some pressure (more than 50% it seems).

Otherwise the light does not come on.

Juiced-03

Established Member
wow this one came back from the dead! Ya it turned out that the reservoir was low. The dealer filled it up for me and the light went away!!! I had the same symptoms cobra101. Thanks 03DOHC!

cobra101

Established Member
Yeah I had to ressurect it. I was going to post a new thread but thought I should search first. Then I founf this thread and did not see the final culprit. I will add fluid tomorrow.

Nothing special here right? Just fill up the resovouir (sp?) and I am good to go? I imagine the fluid type is listed in my manual?

03DOHC

Established Member
One thing to keep in mind is that your brake fluid may be low because your pads are worn. I'd inspect your brakes.

03Cobvertible

Established Member
OK,

My car just started doing this (brake light under hard braking).

I'm pretty annoyed 'cause the MC res has been overflowing since I got the thing (nothing major - but you can see fluid on the outside of the res), and I figured they just filled it up too much at the factory, and eventualy enough would come out so it wouldn't overflow. Now I have to fill it??!!!

I checked it and the level seems fine to me. A bit below the "MAX" level, but not alarmingly.

I'd rather not fill it and get back into messy overflow mode. Anyone have the same thinking here?

-Bill

ronreid03

Established Member
03Convertible,

See my earlier post on this issue. I had a bad connection on my top switch that was causing the light to come on intermittently.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread