Brake pads

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
What is everyone running for a good street pad? My car sees occasional track use so I'm looking for recommendations . I have used EBC before the red which was a nice pad thinking I could try the yellow. I also have tried Hawks and didn't think they grabbed as hard as the EBC. What other options are there for street and occasional track?

barspen

Established Member
My 2 cents (bang-for-the-buck) and the Cliff-notes version:

- Street only - AutoZone CMAX - Low cost, low dust, low noise, lasts a long time
- Street/Track - HAWK HPS/5.0 - low noise/dust but can handle light track duty -- HAWK HP+ - more noise, more dust but better stopping power at higher temps
- Track Only - CarboTech XP-10/XP-12 on the front and HAWK choices above for the rear setup - There are many other good "track-only" options if you do some searching

The thing is, what you want in a street pad (low noise, low dust and stopping power at low temps) is completely opposite of what you want/need in a track pad (high bite at temp, lots of dust and crazy noise)

Van@RevanRacing

What is everyone running for a good street pad? My car sees occasional track use so I'm looking for recommendations . I have used EBC before the red which was a nice pad thinking I could try the yellow. I also have tried Hawks and didn't think they grabbed as hard as the EBC. What other options are there for street and occasional track?

I drove my 2007 GT500 with a Full Griggs GR40 RT Chassis to the track (116 Miles One Way) on Porterfield R4-S Pads. Did two days of Time Trial Unlimited (.001 of a second from setting track record) and the drove it home.

Low Dust, No Noise and can handle the needed pressure of high temperature braking where and when needed for light and heavy track duty. Customer of mine just got done doing three days at VIR in the advanced run group with Porterfields and had zero brake fade all weekend. I have a number of customers running them as it gives you the best of both worlds. Street and track with low dust and great stopping force.

http://www.revanracing.com/products/r4s-brake-pads-for-gt500-four-six-piston-brembo.html

Van

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm running the C-Max Gold ceramic pads. They stop well enough, I guess. I haven't done any really hard [read: ABS activation] braking with them since they've been on the car. I'm not sure how many miles I have on them, +/-10K, maybe, but it looks like I might need to replace the rears in another 5K miles. Extremely low dust and no noise. My car doesn't get to see track duty, yet, so I have no idea how well they'd standup to track duty.

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
I drove my 2007 GT500 with a Full Griggs GR40 RT Chassis to the track (116 Miles One Way) on Porterfield R4-S Pads. Did two days of Time Trial Unlimited (.001 of a second from setting track record) and the drove it home.

Low Dust, No Noise and can handle the needed pressure of high temperature braking where and when needed for light and heavy track duty. Customer of mine just got done doing three days at VIR in the advanced run group with Porterfields and had zero brake fade all weekend. I have a number of customers running them as it gives you the best of both worlds. Street and track with low dust and great stopping force.

http://www.revanracing.com/products/r4s-brake-pads-for-gt500-four-six-piston-brembo.html

Van

Thanks Van I am strongly considering that pad

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
My 2 cents (bang-for-the-buck) and the Cliff-notes version:

- Street only - AutoZone CMAX - Low cost, low dust, low noise, lasts a long time
- Street/Track - HAWK HPS/5.0 - low noise/dust but can handle light track duty -- HAWK HP+ - more noise, more dust but better stopping power at higher temps
- Track Only - CarboTech XP-10/XP-12 on the front and HAWK choices above for the rear setup - There are many other good "track-only" options if you do some searching

The thing is, what you want in a street pad (low noise, low dust and stopping power at low temps) is completely opposite of what you want/need in a track pad (high bite at temp, lots of dust and crazy noise)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have ran the HPS before but I see they have a new pad at auto zone by Hawk that suppose to be better than HPS?

Speedboosted

Established Member

Van

Any experience with the R4? I just bought a set for track only use, from what I read they have a higher temp range then the R4-S, so they should be even better on track, is this correct with what you've seen?

ponyboy96

Established Member
Stock Ford Shelby GT500 pads. I was in the same boat and honestly there were just too many compromises with the others. The stock pads did well all around and I had no complaints (other than the dusting). Could they be better on course? Absolutely, but I never had any issues even braking hard from 165mph into turn 10a at Road Atlanta. Brake fluid I'm running motul and change it before every track weekend.

Van@RevanRacing

Any experience with the R4? I just bought a set for track only use, from what I read they have a higher temp range then the R4-S, so they should be even better on track, is this correct with what you've seen?

Never ran the R4. If I'm going all out track pad I run Hawk DTC-70's or DTC-60's or Raybestos ST-43's. The R4-S has had good results both in track and street duty for me including Time Trial driving to the track and running without changing pads.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Stock Ford Shelby GT500 pads. I was in the same boat and honestly there were just too many compromises with the others. The stock pads did well all around and I had no complaints (other than the dusting). Could they be better on course? Absolutely, but I never had any issues even braking hard from 165mph into turn 10a at Road Atlanta. Brake fluid I'm running motul and change it before every track weekend.

That's a pretty amazing claim. That downhill section is very fast. To think you are getting no fade, on the stock pads, must say a lot for the brake fluid. I notice, sometimes, on the street, the stock pads fading out, at no where near the speeds you are reaching. However, I have the brake fluid flushed only once a year, and it's replaced with factory fluid.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Never said I was as fast on the other parts of the track. Lol. I get some fade at times, but generally I'm ok. I'm not doing time trials or anything just some DE stuff.

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member

That's a pretty amazing claim. That downhill section is very fast. To think you are getting no fade, on the stock pads, must say a lot for the brake fluid. I notice, sometimes, on the street, the stock pads fading out, at no where near the speeds you are reaching. However, I have the brake fluid flushed only once a year, and it's replaced with factory fluid.

I attended a HPDE event at VIR with stock pads and fluid. I thought the brakes were great throughout two of my three 20 minute sessions, braking hard enough to engage ABS on entry to several of the turns. I was hitting 135-140 mph on the back straightaway. In my third session, I boiled the brake fluid and the pedal went straight to the floor without warning. After the event, I inspected the brake pads and all of them were cracked. Just a couple of things to think about if pushing the stock braking system to its limits. Fresh high temp brake fluid is a must prior to any road course event if you intend to “drive” your car. I have since installed DBA 4000 series slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Ford Racing brake lines, and Castrol GT/LMA fluid for high performance street application and could not be happier in terms of stopping power and low brake dust accumulation.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Never said I was as fast on the other parts of the track. Lol. I get some fade at times, but generally I'm ok. I'm not doing time trials or anything just some DE stuff.

Ok that explains it then. You weren't pushing it hard on the whole course, just in that section.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Ok that explains it then. You weren't pushing it hard on the whole course, just in that section.

I was pushing it, just not as hard as I could have been. Tires getting greasy were a bigger issue. Running the stock goodyears. I do flush the brake system before every track weekend. Run dot 4. Was running super blue, then switched to motul when they quit making that.

If I were running as hard as you guys as much as you guys I would run carbotech pads and the DBA rotors on some r compounds.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Those that bleed before every event, what is the easiest way? Are you using a power bleeder? Any good recommendations?

barspen

Established Member
Those that bleed before every event, what is the easiest way? Are you using a power bleeder? Any good recommendations?

The Motive power bleeder works great. Much faster and easier than using the manual method with two people.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ +2 and use the Ford specific 3 tab brake reservoir adapter. I have heard that the universal adapter does not seal well on some cars and you run the risk of spilling brake fluid on your paint.

Motive Power Bleeder w_adapter.jpg

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member

My stock pads are squeaking so that is half the reason I want to change my pads.

Users who are viewing this thread