Brake slides locking up

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
I just replaced my rear passenger caliper because one of the slides was completely locked up. I had to heat it up and pound it out with a hammer and vice grips it was stuck so bad.

So took the car out to make sure everything is ok, and now I have the same humming/rubbing sound coming from the rear drivers side. I havent took the tire off and inspected yet but im 99% sure the caliper or slide locked up. Im assuming they are the stock calipers on the car, I might just have to replace them all I guess.

Anyone else had a problem with this? Im also thinking it could possible by the emergency brake causing the noise, but I kind of doubt it. Its an intermittent noise, it happend 3 times on the highway for about 3 seconds at a time.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Did you grease the slides up when you installed the new caliper? They should slide quite easily (except for the vacuum that the grease seal can create). One possibility that I've heard before is that if you installed GT brake pads (thicker than Cobra pads) the rubbing can generate a lot of heat and, possibly, cook out the grease. When you installed the caliper did you have to force the caliper into position?

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Did you grease the slides up when you installed the new caliper? They should slide quite easily (except for the vacuum that the grease seal can create). One possibility that I've heard before is that if you installed GT brake pads (thicker than Cobra pads) the rubbing can generate a lot of heat and, possibly, cook out the grease. When you installed the caliper did you have to force the caliper into position?

All the slides got brake grease pretty heavily to avoid this happening again. I even shaved one of the pins down because it didnt slide back and fourth very easily. I guess Im not sure if they were GT brake pads or not, I told him 99 cobra but I suppose its possible he just grabbed GT brakes.

The calipers went on relatively easy, I compressed the piston and they werent a huge pain to get in, but somewhat tight I guess. Now you have me thinking, maybe I should check my receipt and check the brake pad number and see what I got

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you were able to get the calipers on you have the right pads. Did the pins slide easily after you greased them? You shouldn't have to shave anything. Did you also clean the bores the pins slide in?

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
If you were able to get the calipers on you have the right pads. Did the pins slide easily after you greased them? You shouldn't have to shave anything. Did you also clean the bores the pins slide in?

The pins slid very easily with the grease, I wire brushed the pin hole pretty well and got alot of rust on the brush so I doubt thats ever been cleaned before. Im not sure why the one pin hole was so stubborn, but I filed the pin a tad and it went in with ease. I will know for sure this weekend when I tear her apart again I guess. Starting to get very frustrated with the car, I havent quit working on it since I bought it.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I compressed the piston and they werent a huge pain to get in, but somewhat tight I guess.

You did screw in the pistons, right? Whenever I hear someone use the term "compressed" I think of a C-clamp or similar, which is fine for the front calipers but not the rear calipers.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
You did screw in the pistons, right? Whenever I hear someone use the term "compressed" I think of a C-clamp or similar, which is fine for the front calipers but not the rear calipers.

Haha, yep. Had to rent the tool from O'Reilly, I was confused though, never knew ford had calipers like this.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
The pins slid very easily with the grease, I wire brushed the pin hole pretty well and got alot of rust on the brush so I doubt thats ever been cleaned before. Im not sure why the one pin hole was so stubborn, but I filed the pin a tad and it went in with ease. I will know for sure this weekend when I tear her apart again I guess. Starting to get very frustrated with the car, I havent quit working on it since I bought it.

Make sure the rubber boot isn't torn. If it is it'll let out the grease out and water in.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
The brake pads came with new boots so thats not an issue. I dont think seized slider pin was the cause of the noises. Im starting to get them again, I noticed today while driving. Im kind of a at a loss right now. I went over the brakes and didnt find any other issues other than that one slider pin.

I cant get a video of the noise because it happens intermittently for only a couple seconds, its very random. Its definitely some kind of metal on metal humming/howling noise from the rear of the car. I unhooked the emergency brake thinking that maybe that was getting hung up, but that did nothing.

Anyother suggestions for what would cause this noise? Only other thing I think of is clutch or flywheel? Its got a brand new spec 3+ clutch with a steel flywheel, I also installed some UPR upper and lower control arms last winter, they were greased properly but I know they can cause some noise when low on grease.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
You sure you have the correct brake pads? If you clock in the piston with the tool you should have plenty of room to put in new brake pads, they shouldn't fit snugly - the caliper should slide right over the rotor with the new pads installed & the piston fully clocked back in. If you managed to get GT brake pads on the rear, once they are compressed for the first time they won't back off the rotor enough b/c the Cobra rear rotors are vented (thus thicker) versus the solid piece GT rotors, you'll hear them rubbing every time you drive the car. GT pads are thicker then what is called for on the Cobra rear b/c of the non-vented rotors.

Last edited:

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
You sure you have the correct brake pads? If you clock in the piston with the tool you should have plenty of room to put in new brake pads, they shouldn't fit snugly - the caliper should slide right over the rotor with the new pads installed & the piston fully clocked back in. If you managed to get GT brake pads on the rear, once they are compressed for the first time they won't back off the rotor enough b/c the Cobra rear rotors are vented (thus thicker) versus the solid piece GT rotors, you'll hear them rubbing every time you drive the car. GT pads are thicker then what is called for on the Cobra rear b/c of the non-vented rotors.

I think you may be right. There is nothing else that can be causing the noise, both rear brake calipers are brand new with brand new slider pins. I could hear the noise coming diretly from the wheels while driving yesterday.

If it is the brake pads its kind of my fault for going to Oreilly autoparts, god I hate that place.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you also grease where the pads contact the bracket? I had a chirp coming from my driver side. Very annoying and embarrassing. I regreased the slide pins and the tabs of the pads where they sit in the bracket. All is quiet now.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i have never seen where someone successfully put GT pads in a Cobra/Mach/Bullitt rear caliper and got it all installed on the rotor without really going through some hell (unless your rotors have been turned way down or something

Users who are viewing this thread