Brakes squeaking

svtar15

Drive fast,Shoot Straight
Established Member
My brakes are driving me crazy! They squeak like an old lady's LTD. I replaced the front pads last fall, so I guess the rear ones need to be changed now. However, I though about upgrading to drilled & slotted rotors at the same time, since I bought the 18's. The added weight may need a little help. Here's the question, with new rotors, do I need new calipers as well, or can I use my stock ones? Any help is appreciated.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
You don't need new calipers. IMO for looks get the slotted rotors and skip the crossdrilled.

Your rear pads might not be shot. They might need some brake quiet.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
pads

When you replaced you fronts did you use new anti rattle clips or reuse the stockers?

The reason I ask is the originals have a piece of rubber in them and most replacements do not which can cause that nice high pitched noise when you come to a stop. You should reuse the stockers if you didn't already. You can try some anti-squeal compound too.

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
What kind of shoes are you using? Are they Ceramic, carbon-ferro, or semi-metalic? And, did you bed them in properly?

svtar15

Drive fast,Shoot Straight
Established Member
"Wagner Thermo Quiet Premium Disc Pads" I can't find a material on the box. I got them from an "O Reilys". They were $100. I figured they were good. As far as installation, I had a friend who knows help me. I think it's the rear. How does the brake quiet work?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Brake quiet is a thick paste you spread around on the backing of the pads, let harden a little and then put it back together.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Hawk pads yes. The rotors?

Eh. For Flash I guess. I can't stand paying more than a bill a rotor.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Brake quiet is a thick paste you spread around on the backing of the pads, let harden a little and then put it back together.
+1!

I used brake quiet last year when I changed all four rotors and pads last year and they never made a peep! Put some on the backs of the pads and also on the retaining pin, I have yet to find this little rubber priece people speak of???

Users who are viewing this thread