Brakes

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin
I like the design of the "R" kit because it replaces the shield on the back of the rotor with a funnel type piece that forces the air to the center of the entire rotor. The kit also includes brackets to fasten the ducts so they move back and forth with the steering to eliminate the tires from rubbing on them.

Great information Darin.

However, I need to point out that the SHM CF duct kit does not come with brackets. Some must be fabricated. The pictures on the SHM website represent what was done by SHM (or their representative) as a method of brake hose attachment with pieces available at the local hardware store. I was lazy and used big zip ties...it works just fine (inspected monthly) but I do not open track this car.

I have street driven the SHM kit for about 6000 miles now with no problems save for a tiny amount of rub when I have the wheel at full lock pulling out of my parking space in the morning. I got it on sale for $249 about 9 months ago, before I even got the '03. This was before they even knew it would fit the '03 instead of the '00 R!

Highly recommended, but perhaps not for the $400 current price.:beer:

03'Darin

Established Member
I plan on searching around a little for one of these brackets.

I won't pay the $395 SHM is charging for that kit....carbon fiber or not!

I may even just take the time and make one of the brackets I have posted if it comes down to it. I would prefer to just by one if I can find it.

I would buy the 00 "R" kit for $249 IN A MINUTE. The cheapest I have found it so far is $349.

On another note.....the Hawk blue pads are only good up to 1000 degrees. That may be enough with proper ducting but 2-300 degrees short without (with dust shield still in place). I will still run the PF pads next time because of the difference in pedal effort required between the two.

I ran across a message board where someone had a post on a pair of the Mirage brackets for sale for 80 bucks. It looks by a reply post that they were sold already but I couldn't confirm because I don't have instant messaging. Anyone have a set they are looking to get rid of???

Users who are viewing this thread