Brakes

kevin

sam, i think you said you'd like to go to road america sometime. a bunch of us go there in early september each year. if this interests you, let me know and i'll give you specifics.

also, given your location (ga), where you planning on going to the shelby national event in nashville over memorial day weekend?

KHsonic03

Established Member
I was referring to the 2000 Cobra R brake kit (4 piston calipers, etc). I know that there have been many rotor hat failures with the one piece brembo rotors at the track. I have seen the pics, and they are scary.:uh oh:

kevin

Originally posted by KHsonic03
I was referring to the 2000 Cobra R brake kit (4 piston calipers, etc). I know that there have been many rotor hat failures with the one piece brembo rotors at the track. I have seen the pics, and they are scary.:uh oh:

good. i have personal experience (not good) with the one piece.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
what's the name of the brakes article in popsci?

thanks
m.

It is called the 1500HP Brake Install. Or something to that effect. It is about the writer installing brakes on his little porsche that came off an 1100hp Porsche Race car. More than adequate.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
sam, i think you said you'd like to go to road america sometime. a bunch of us go there in early september each year. if this interests you, let me know and i'll give you specifics.

also, given your location (ga), where you planning on going to the shelby national event in nashville over memorial day weekend?

Well I said, Road Atlanta. I am in Marietta, GA. No I was not planning on the Shelby Event.

SuperSonic

Established Member
Wow, lots of great info in this thread. I will be a Road America for the Shelby event this September with the new Cobra. Been going up there with my 91 5.0 for about 7 years now. Ran a best standing start of 2:49 with that car with the stock front brakes and a rear disc conversion with race pads. I was pushing the limits with those brakes, so it will be interesting to see how the Cobra brakes hold up.

Cobra-R

Established Member
supersonic,
We have a pretty good group that goes to that event also. Please plan on stopping by, we pit all the way down on the end closest to turn 1. Just look for the group of R's (along with other stangs). You are welcome to pit with us as well, but only if you like to have alot of fun. :)

Brian

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by KHsonic03
351MachOne- I checked with Wilwood for the part number, then did a search to find the cheapest supplier. Summit has it for $1243 and Precision Brakes has it for 1208. The kit ends with 6155-D.

Ok... Is this a direct bolt for our cars? B/C I dont think that it is. I just got done with the guys at Pro3i, they say the Brembo 4piston Kit will direct fit our cars with no mod. It comes with..

"This new bolt-on front brake kit for 1994-2001 Mustangs includes 4-piston aluminum calipers, high performance brake pads, cadmium-plated 13 inch vented discs, and braided stainless steel DOT brake hoses. "

These are the winners... Brian is this the EXACT same as the Cobra R, and is it a good kit!??

Thanks for all the input!!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 351MachOne
Ok... Is this a direct bolt for our cars? B/C I dont think that it is. I just got done with the guys at Pro3i, they say the Brembo 4piston Kit will direct fit our cars with no mod. It comes with..

"This new bolt-on front brake kit for 1994-2001 Mustangs includes 4-piston aluminum calipers, high performance brake pads, cadmium-plated 13 inch vented discs, and braided stainless steel DOT brake hoses. "

These are the winners... Brian is this the EXACT same as the Cobra R, and is it a good kit!??

Thanks for all the input!!

The Brembo kit is a direct bolt in kit, you can have it installed in an hour including bleeding the brakes.

Just looking at the wheels on the 03, it looks like they will clear the Brembo calipers fine. If someone can confirm this, great. If not, and you need me to try a 03 wheel to make sure, let me know. (won't be able to do it for a few days though)

Brian

KHsonic03

Established Member
The Wilwood kit IS a direct bolt on, however, you need to purchase their SS brake lines as well (about $80). The part number for those is 220-6458. From what Wilwood has said to me, these brakes work with the stock master cylinder, and are a direct bolt on. I am not sure about '03 wheel clearance, but I have 2000 Cobra R's (18"). I would have no problems with clearance. The only mod you have to do is remove or alter the stock dust shield. I think you have to do this with the Brembos as well, but I am not positive.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
The Brembo kit is a direct bolt in kit, you can have it installed in an hour including bleeding the brakes.

Just looking at the wheels on the 03, it looks like they will clear the Brembo calipers fine. If someone can confirm this, great. If not, and you need me to try a 03 wheel to make sure, let me know. (won't be able to do it for a few days though)

Brian

Actually Brian, the guys at Pro3i, said the wheel clearance is fine. I believe them. I have had good experiences with that company. I will not ask you to check it for me, but if you get the urge, Ill be happy to listen... =)

Again, big help everyone. Thanks.

-Sam

mike69440

Established Member
Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Who makes a Stainless Steel brake line Kit for the Cobra brakes and how much do the typically cost.

My intention is to first try pads, Stainless lines and high performance brake fluid first and only then if dissatisfied, look at a set of calipers & rotors.

Suggestions on pads welcome also.

help appreciated

Mike 69440

Last edited:

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Re: Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Originally posted by mike69440
Who makes a Kit for the Cobra brakes and how much do the typically cost.

help appreciated

Mike 69440

If you read through the entire post, I know its long, you will find that the discussion was about the Brembo Kit (Cobra R) and the Willwood 6 piston kit.

Both kits are about 1100-1200 Dollars. (CHEAP!).

KHsonic03

Established Member
Well, I guess I'll let everyone know how the Wilwoods are. I ordered them today after much debate/research. I decided to get the Baer 2-piece rotors for the rear. They are almost identical to the wilwoods (visual design only). The two things you have to factor in with the Wilwoods are ss lines $83 and brake fluid. They recommend using their brake fluid. I went with 6 bottles, unless anyone would advise otherwise. $10 a bottle! I ordered from Summit and they don't charge shipping, so it came to about $1390. Not bad when you figure that Brembo's are about 1150 and you probably need fluid for those as well. Plus Wilwoods are 6 piston, have 2 piece rotors, and have an easier method for pad changing. $240 more. A lot of people had opinions about the Wilwoods, yet no one has ever tried them, so it is hard to listen to those comments. They seem like a very good system, but I guess I will find out. Thanks for all the help and opinions.:-D

KHsonic03

Established Member
Actually, I found out that Wilwood sells their fluid in 6 packs, so I called back Summit and ordered it. It was only $36. For some reason they mark up the individual bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread