Break check!!!! Help!

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
Brake check!!!! Help!

I need to replace my front brake pads so while im at it I want to replace my rotors of course but im not sure what route to go? I was reading that some people prefer stock rotors over crossed and drilled rotors? What do you guys think?also can u point me in the direction as to where I can buy some for a reasonable price thank you all

Last edited:

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
First, it's brakes... not "breaks".

Go with drilled and slotted rotors if you prefer the looks of them over the solid rotors. There will be basically no performance difference between the two on a street driven car.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I recently did my front brakes. I went with Hawk HPS pads, OEM rotors and MM stainless steel lines. Brake pedal feels more solid and the pads bite great. I wouldn't bother paying more for slotted/drilled rotors as they probably wont make any difference on a street driven car and you'll just end up paying more for them.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
dont bother with cross drilled, just asking for trouble unless you're running some expensive rotors. They wont help anything and cheap drilled rotors are prone to cracking

AMDanBailer

I need to replace my front break pads so while im at it I want to replace my rotors of course but im not sure what route to go? I was reading that some people prefer stock rotors over crossed and drilled rotors? What do you guys think?also can u point me in the direction as to where I can buy some for a reasonable price thank you all

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear it is that point in your Stang's life, but you are right, this is a great time to upgrade the other brake components.

A lot depends on how you use your vehicle, if it is a daily driver you may not want to go with anything but a stock rotor. Reason being, that the any drilled or slotted rotor has some structural integrity compromised with these cut sections. When daily driving you want rotors that will last the longest and give you reliable stopping power for years. Overtime specifically the cross drilled rotors have a tendency to crack. Beyond this, when you are using your brakes you are generally not over heating them to the point where the drilled or slotted sections can be of much benefit.

If your car is a weekend toy and you really like the looks, the fact that the brakes might not last as long wont really make a huge difference to your wallet. They will work on the streets, and give you an awesome look .

However, if you have a track car, you certainly want drilled and slotted rotors. You want to provide as much cooling surfaces as possible to get the best bite every time. You will be quickly heating up the brakes and being able to cool them quicker will greatly benefit your braking capabilities. If this is the case, make sure you get a high quality kit such as Brembos, Willwoods or Baers, that can really handle tough abuse.

If you do plan on getting any brakes, we have plenty to pick from, and offer our forum members a 6% discount off their entire purchase. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch with myself, or our customer service team listed below my signature. Good luck!

-Dan

makriluc

Established Member
I did try "Drilled & Slotted" rotors, basically it was for the looks.
But I went back with OEM style as mine were noisy.
When braking, they sounded like playing cards going through spokes of a bicycle.
My 0.02 cents

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
First, it's brakes... not "breaks".

Go with drilled and slotted rotors if you prefer the looks of them over the solid rotors. There will be basically no performance difference between the two on a street driven car.

Haha thanks for pointing that out bro I did write this at like 2 am lol but oh okay I thought they would really make a difference

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear it is that point in your Stang's life, but you are right, this is a great time to upgrade the other brake components.

A lot depends on how you use your vehicle, if it is a daily driver you may not want to go with anything but a stock rotor. Reason being, that the any drilled or slotted rotor has some structural integrity compromised with these cut sections. When daily driving you want rotors that will last the longest and give you reliable stopping power for years. Overtime specifically the cross drilled rotors have a tendency to crack. Beyond this, when you are using your brakes you are generally not over heating them to the point where the drilled or slotted sections can be of much benefit.

If your car is a weekend toy and you really like the looks, the fact that the brakes might not last as long wont really make a huge difference to your wallet. They will work on the streets, and give you an awesome look .

However, if you have a track car, you certainly want drilled and slotted rotors. You want to provide as much cooling surfaces as possible to get the best bite every time. You will be quickly heating up the brakes and being able to cool them quicker will greatly benefit your braking capabilities. If this is the case, make sure you get a high quality kit such as Brembos, Willwoods or Baers, that can really handle tough abuse.

If you do plan on getting any brakes, we have plenty to pick from, and offer our forum members a 6% discount off their entire purchase. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch with myself, or our customer service team listed below my signature. Good luck!

-Dan

Thanks for the advice bro.how do I go about using the 6% discount on my next purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread