Breeding a dog and raising puppies

Zemedici

Established Member
Our golden had 10 pups. It was definitely busy. What we learned:

- don't be so busy you miss the fun. Take moments to watch and enjoy.
- they grow fast. Take pics and short videos and start right away. You'll be glad you did.
- not sure how your vets are there but here it's just a money grab. Instead of vet vacinating (around $50 per) and inspecting (mandatory at an extra $100+ per) we went to the local animal pharmacy and vaccinated them ourselves (about $12 per).
- If the pups are healthy you will know it. Monitor weight gain to know they are thriving.

Have fun with them.

Congrats!

Vets are the same here, and it hasnt always been that way, its a shame. Completely turned into 'for profit' vs 'treating animals'

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Pups will be 3 weeks old soon, and growing like crazy. The male is at 4 lbs already. Last Sunday he was at 2.5 lbs.

IMG_0479.jpg

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Man I wish you lived closer. We decided our next dog would be an Irish Wolfhound.
Curious what your experiences have been with them around small children?
Pros/cons of them?
We have always owned large dogs (80-100lbs), but never one as large as a wolfhound.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Man I wish you lived closer. We decided our next dog would be an Irish Wolfhound.
Curious what your experiences have been with them around small children?
Pros/cons of them?
We have always owned large dogs (80-100lbs), but never one as large as a wolfhound.

They are a very interesting and amazing breed. We know a guy who hunts coyotes with his, and also has toddlers at home that crawl all over his Wolfhounds. They are a great family pet, incredibly smart and very relaxed.

Their size is really the only issue people have with them. If you own a small place with lots of stuff on the tables, you will end up with things on the floor. Or if you are a small person or have small kids, they can accidentally cause damage with their tails, which can hit like a whip.

I've heard stories of them knocking over small kids by accident, but they are definitely not an aggressive breed when it comes to people. They can scare people off but are not meant to be guard dogs. They are very affectionate dogs.

Our hound doesn't mind rain, fireworks don't bother her, she doesn't care about deer in our backyard. She will chase a cat if they get too close.

My wife and I agreed, this is hands down the best breed we've had, and will never have a different breed other than Wolfhounds.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
They are a very interesting and amazing breed. We know a guy who hunts coyotes with his, and also has toddlers at home that crawl all over his Wolfhounds. They are a great family pet, incredibly smart and very relaxed.

Their size is really the only issue people have with them. If you own a small place with lots of stuff on the tables, you will end up with things on the floor. Or if you are a small person or have small kids, they can accidentally cause damage with their tails, which can hit like a whip.

I've heard stories of them knocking over small kids by accident, but they are definitely not an aggressive breed when it comes to people. They can scare people off but are not meant to be guard dogs. They are very affectionate dogs.

Our hound doesn't mind rain, fireworks don't bother her, she doesn't care about deer in our backyard. She will chase a cat if they get too close.

My wife and I agreed, this is hands down the best breed we've had, and will never have a different breed other than Wolfhounds.
Yep. That's pretty much what we have read over the past couple years. We have a 7 year old labradoodle whose amazing to have around our 2 year old son. The Wolfhounds sound like a much larger version of her.
Thanks for the info.
How much are you selling the females for?

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Yep. That's pretty much what we have read over the past couple years. We have a 7 year old labradoodle whose amazing to have around our 2 year old son. The Wolfhounds sound like a much larger version of her.
Thanks for the info.
How much are you selling the females for?

$2000 for limited registration, $2500 for full registration. Pretty much the standard going price.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
They turn 6 weeks old today! The male (Lochlan) is already 11.5 lbs. He's going to be massive.

Mom dog stepped on one of the babies last week after feeding and fractured a femur. Vet said it's not bad, no cast or splint. It should heal up in 4 weeks due to how fast they are growing. However, that pup has to remain separated and she hates that. Cries all night long.

We had one buyer back out, and got another one almost immediately. This buyer has a 700 acre ranch, and 2 Wolfhounds. They use their Wolfs to hunt wild boar and deer. Pretty cool!

They have a male Wolfhound that is 245 lbs.

Hounds 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread