Brembo Suspension

tangerine

Established Member
Whats up everyone

Ok I am about to do the suspension on my Brembo package car and I had a few questions.

I plan on going with K Springs and was thinking about upgrade the shocks/ struts and panhard bar... My real question is how good are the stock shocks and struts on this car. I read that the Brembo springs and Shocks/Struts are better but not sure how much. Should I upgrade over these or just leave them?

Thanks

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I recommend if going with any spring that is 1in or more drop to do aftermarket shocks.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I recommend if going with any spring that is 1in or more drop to do aftermarket shocks.

This ^^^ I was going to run my stock struts/shocks, but with H&R SS Springs, I didn't want to end up pulling everything all apart again to replace the stockers if I didn't like the ride, so I'm going with Steeda Pro Actions and FRPP GT500 strut mounts....Do it once...do it right.

tangerine

Established Member
Yea I guess that is a pretty solid answer... Cause I really don't wanna pull this apart again. The Steeda Struts are the ones I was leaning toward... Just curious they list 2 different part #s on their website.. Can you order the ones for 05-10 and they work if you use the gt500 mounts? or I would def need to order the ones for 11-13?

BRNG ITT

Established Member
I have K springs, Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates, bobs racing LCAs, BMR adjustable pub, all on stock shocks and struts with no issues after 5K miles.

I am about to go with sportlines, and will be replacing my shocks and struts however.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Just curious they list 2 different part #s on their website.. Can you order the ones for 05-10 and they work if you use the gt500 mounts? or I would def need to order the ones for 11-13?

I've been doing research about this, and it seems that the issue stems from the difference in the seating surface of the strut mounts from 05-10 and later. If I'm not mistaken, the shaft length that protrudes from the top of the strut is different between the two year ranges. So it seems that if you buy the 05-10 struts and mount them on 2011+ with stock strut mounts, the threaded portion protruding from the strut towers won't be low enough to tighten to a seated position.

Is anyone able to confirm or correct me on this?

86merc

Established Member
The shocks and struts on the car from the factory are not ideal for a lowered suspension with a higher spring rate. Many say they are marginal with the stock springs. But Ford has to set the car up for ride comfort over a large variety of roads and different drivers. So they are "soft" compared to an aftermarket set. Even a shock & strut change on stock springs will make the car feel more planted and stable. The spring rates and shock/strut valving need to work together to get the most out of them. Shocks and struts are important as they control how fast or slow the suspension moves through it's range or motion. Just as you would build an engine as a complete combination of parts to get the most out of it you should do the same with your suspension.

If money is tight you can re use what you have. If you have the money I would change them out. Especially if you don't want to redo the work over again.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Spend the money and skip the headaches and order some aftermarket, preferrably adjustable, shocks and struts. You will thank yourself later.

CSG

Established Member
I have the sportlines with stock shocks & struts and I don't feel that they control the springs well.

tangerine

Established Member
I was initially leaning towards addings shocks and struts. This isn't my rodeo with lowered mustangs.

I was just mainly curious how much better the Brembo Shocks and Struts were. If they were a good bit better and would handle the springs then I would keep them. But if they were just a little better than stock I was gonna trash them and go with the Steeda Shocks and Struts

Fun4me

Established Member
I was initially leaning towards addings shocks and struts. This isn't my rodeo with lowered mustangs.

I was just mainly curious how much better the Brembo Shocks and Struts were. If they were a good bit better and would handle the springs then I would keep them. But if they were just a little better than stock I was gonna trash them and go with the Steeda Shocks and Struts
Does 5% better count?

2003 Silver

Banned
I had my '13 vert lowered via Evolution....not just springs, the full package minus the shocks/struts. They said stockers r fine. Car has a TVS too.

Users who are viewing this thread