Brembos vs 3.73's

niterydr

Established Member
So I am looking at picking up a used 2011+ GT and I really want a car with the brembo package and the 3.73's. However, all the cars I see at dealers in my area have one or the other. I would go new and just get both, but I'm really tryin to keep the price at or under $30,000.

So if you had to choose between the brembo package and the 3.73's, which would you pick? This car will be my daily driver with a few mods (intake,exhaust, tune) and would probably see the track a few times.

Last edited:

Mika

Established Member
I'd pick the Brembo's. At least you can toss the 3.73's on for relatively cheap. Tossing on suspension mods, better brakes and the like will cost you a lot more than tossing on gears. Also, the better mileage of the 3.31's or 3.55's(negligible, I know) is another good point for Brembo's. Only reason to go with the 3.73's is if you have plans for putting better suspension on it anyways. Just my 2 cents.

Mika

ViciousJay

Established Member
follow mika's advise. Ill say this that with 3.31's the car does feel a bit wimpy though

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Same boat I'm in when deciding on the options I want in my '13. I don't really have a need for 3.73s on a car that will be a 20 mile RT DD, with very seldom strip action.

The Brembo package upgrade is nice for the things you get. As stated, much cheaper to add gears later that a full Brembo set plus the other goodies.

Just sucks that all of the none Track Pack dealer '13 cars are 3.31s, and I really want 3.55s.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Save a little more and order a new one. Get everything you want. Give you time for more rebates to come out and better financing deals.

pohnjarker

Established Member
It took me a while to find my 2011 5.0 with both brembos and 3.73 gears...it seemed all of the ones i found were upgraded with the Roush package so i know how hard it can be to find one with both.

I would go with the brembos, it's much cheaper to add the gears later.

SicShelby09

Banned
Brembos. The gears can be had for like $160 and installed for as little as $200 I have seen. The Brembo brakes alone are $1200 and then there are all the other suspension upgrades and the wheels. This is truely a no brainer.

niterydr

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the responses. I had no idea there were other suspension parts in the package other than the brakes and wheels. I think I will definitely lean toward the brembo's over the gears.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
If you end up swapping the gears out later, even if you have ford do it, they might dock your powertrain warranty from 60k to 12k miles. Plus there might be issues with installing new gears with who does it, whining noises ect. Check with your dealer and make sure they still cover your warranty if you do end up swapping gears. I've read this other places but never checked it out myself but it may be something you should check into. I know most dealers will do the swap for around $900, some places will do it for $600, I've never seen a price for $200 for a gear swap. But then again I live in CA where everything is more expensive.

SicShelby09

Banned
If you end up swapping the gears out later, even if you have ford do it, they might dock your powertrain warranty from 60k to 12k miles. Plus there might be issues with installing new gears with who does it, whining noises ect. Check with your dealer and make sure they still cover your warranty if you do end up swapping gears. I've read this other places but never checked it out myself but it may be something you should check into. I know most dealers will do the swap for around $900, some places will do it for $600, I've never seen a price for $200 for a gear swap. But then again I live in CA where everything is more expensive.

You are insane to pay anything more than $250 for this. Its not that hard to do. You just need the shims and fluid.

ViciousJay

Established Member
You are insane to pay anything more than $250 for this. Its not that hard to do. You just need the shims and fluid.

people everywhere are getting butt rpaed for gear swaps these days i got quoted 6 hours and luaghed and walked out and got it done for 150 in the sticks. just do a gear OP and make sure they know what they are talking about before hand, if your a newb ask questions here so we can help :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread