Brembo's vs base brakes...

Ditty

Established Member
Just got to say, I LOVE my Brembos. I've already had to use the superior stopping power on the hwy yesterday. (Dang Marylander's just can't drive.) If I had got the stock brakes, my 4 day old car would be a crumpled beer can. (Moron darted over 3 lanes on 695 at 50 mph, missed her by MAYBE a few inches.) AND...the 19" wheels look fantastic w/ the RaceRed. I LOVE my car! (Only thing I'd change at this point is upgrading to Boss302 Recaro seats and a LITTLE louder exhaust.)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The stopping distance from 60 is about 7 feet shorter with the brembo brakes. Most of that is due not to the larger brakes, but the stickier tires.

It's TIRES that stop a car, not the brakes. Where the brembo package shines is on track where repeatability is concerned. For a couple laps the base brake car will be on par, but as heat builds the brembo package has the ability to sink and consequently shed more head than the base brake system. It gives you longer duration runs and more sustainability without fade or fall-off of braking performance.

Additionally, the brembo package includes unique ESC tuning, the GT500 lower control arms, slightly stiffer springs and shocks valved to match.

the tires on the package alone, depend on the track would quite easily put the brembo car out front against a base brake car.

The brembo package certainly isn't for everybody, but if you're even considering tracking your car, it's a must have.

Excellent post.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
18" wheels will fit over the brembo brakes so long as the spokes are cut for them. The caliper is much deeper than the base brake calipers.

None of the 18" wheels that come on the 5.0 from the factory will clear them. However the GT500 18's and I believe the FR500's will.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Has Brembo got any slotted replacement rotors for these front brakes (the Brembo package, not base) available?

I wanna upgrade the rear to slotted, but it would be nice to have slotted in front and back.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Really? It's not a huge difference, but it's there. It has already been explained here so I'm not sure what is left to discuss.

The tires alone are significantly better than the other tires available from the factory. And that's some sort of performance, isn't it?

The package adds a small amount of handling performance and cosmetic improvement. Of all of the options for the 11-12 Mustangs, it is one of the better bang-for-buck choices available.

It's not for everyone, and it's not something that can't be achieved with aftermarket purchases, but it is well-priced for what you get.

Yea, i agree. If you're staying stock by all means get it. However, who keeps stock springs on their mustang? Who keeps the stock wheels(even though they look badass for stock)? As far as the brakes go, they are decent for stock but if you're tracking the car they are getting swapped out and/or upgraded. For me, i always have opted for aftermarket wheels and a set of GT500 take off brembos can be had for a great price. The brembo option just was not economical in my opinion. Hence the IMO in my original post.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yea, i agree. If you're staying stock by all means get it. However, who keeps stock springs on their mustang? Who keeps the stock wheels(even though they look badass for stock)? As far as the brakes go, they are decent for stock but if you're tracking the car they are getting swapped out and/or upgraded. For me, i always have opted for aftermarket wheels and a set of GT500 take off brembos can be had for a great price. The brembo option just was not economical in my opinion. Hence the IMO in my original post.

Sure, there are definitely people that the package doesn't make sense for. If you absolutely know you're going to be tearing everything out, why pay for it?

I don't mean to be callus or facetious, but 90% of people that talk about wanting this and that for track purposes, never actually put their car out on track, but use it as an example to purchase or not purchase some item. Whether it be a stock package or aftermarket.

One thing I like to point out is that depending on what you're doing with the car, you may be limited on what you can realistically add to the car. If you're an HPDE rat and you don't care for wheel to wheel racing and have no desire to TT the car, then I wouldn't purchase the brembo package either since you'll likely upgrade the car significantly from stock.

However, if you TT the car, you have to build it for the class you want to run. The 5.0's can get themselves in to TTU territory very quickly if you're not watching what you're doing and monitoring class rules. Then you find yourself competing against race prepped Z06 corvettes and the like. You'll never be competitive. In that case, the brembo package may provide enough track efficiency to keep you at the top of one class where you'll be competitive, vs the bottom of another where you won't. All without doing a brake or suspension upgrade.

So, it really just matters with what you're intentions are for the car. If like many people the car will never see more than a couple drag strip runs each season, the only reason you're looking at brakes is for a bling upgrade.

acrbill

Established Member
I took my base brake car through Deals Gap, I was a bit excessive on the brakes and by the end of the twisties the brakes were begging for mercy. That being said, I would still go with the base brakes since they have more wheel choices and they work fine for my street driving.

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
Don't get me wrong i love my brembo's. The damn thing stops on a dime and they look nice behind the wheels. That being said i also hate my brembo's. I've never heard so much squeaking in my life.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Don't get me wrong i love my brembo's. The damn thing stops on a dime and they look nice behind the wheels. That being said i also hate my brembo's. I've never heard so much squeaking in my life.

That's the pads. You can go to a more street oriented pad and cut down on the noise and dusting. Performance pads simply make noise. No way around it.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
honestly i bought it because i loved the wheels. The brakes look amazing and fill the wheels up great. Plus u get a tighter handling car.

Users who are viewing this thread