Brewmasters TV

AKcobra

Established Member
Has anyone else had a chance to catch this show? It's on the Discovery channel Thursdays at 8. I have watched the first two episodes and loved it! I am trying to spread the word so this show stays on. Its hosted by Sam Calagione owner of Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware. They make some really great craft beers! The show is all about beer, from ancient recipes to specialty brews. Really cool show, check it out and let me know what you think!

Mayo5

Established Member
I love beer and was into Home Brewing, but not right now. Looking to hopefully get back into soon again though.

I don't really like the show to be honest. It's way too campy. Every show I've seen they somehow have that 5 week timeline. Which is bs and I think the writers just trying to create suspense. I wish they would spend more time on the brews and how they make it and their design process for coming up with the beers. Some collaborations with other ones like the NZ one.

The rap bit was a bit embarrassing to watch as well. I will probably keep watching though, because I love beer and Dogfish brews but I don't see this show making it very long. I think a more dry approach to the show would make it alot more successful.

Last edited:

AKcobra

Established Member
Hahaha! The rap was hard to watch! Your right about the timeline deal, but I think they do that to add some sort of drama effect. I really like seeing the recipes and what goes into them. It beats the crap out of reality shows!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Haven't watch it because I figured it was yet another workplace reality show. IF it's actually about history and different kinds of beers other that DFH, maybe I'll check it out.

Mayo5

Established Member
Hahaha! The rap was hard to watch! Your right about the timeline deal, but I think they do that to add some sort of drama effect. I really like seeing the recipes and what goes into them. It beats the crap out of reality shows!

This is true, I also wish they had different brewers in there as well. Goose Island, Stone, Russian River, Troegs, Three Floyds, Sweetwater, etc etc. I think it would give the show a pretty rounded experience of different brewmasters. But I think Sam is a good tv personality, and this is probably why they chose him.

I was actually concerned this show would catch on and create "poser beer-snobs". :rolling::rolling: Kind of what OCC did to the bike scene. I had envisioned sitting at my favorite bar drinking micro-brews and hearing college kids (my age) order the same drink and talk about hops like they know how beers are made. But I guess on the flipside, it's good for everyone to realize there are other beers out there that actually taste good and are not made by AB/Miller.

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
its a pretty good show, the only thing I dont like about bear is all the nasty stuff thats bad for you that gets filtered out with alcohol like making vodka or what not stays in beer (what gives you headaches).

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I was actually concerned this show would catch on and create "poser beer-snobs". :rolling::rolling: Kind of what OCC did to the bike scene. I had envisioned sitting at my favorite bar drinking micro-brews and hearing college kids (my age) order the same drink and talk about hops like they know how beers are made. But I guess on the flipside, it's good for everyone to realize there are other beers out there that actually taste good and are not made by AB/Miller.

lol its been happening without the show.

Craft brews and microbrews are becoming hugely popular, even though they still only account for 5% or less in total market sales.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I need to start watching it. Just picked up some Double Bastard today. :beer:

Stone Brewing Co ftw. Need to pick a DB up, I saw it in the stores a few days ago too.

I used to have an Arrogant Bastard to start out the night, but now that our local brewery (DustBowl) has a beer that equals it, I gotta support the local boys. Plus I know the brewmaster.......

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Local brew is often the best way to go. The one in the last town I lived in way great. I'm now in search of a good one in the Myrtle Beach area.

I may get a Lucky Bastard tomorrow.

scottminot

Established Member
Local brew is often the best way to go. The one in the last town I lived in way great. I'm now in search of a good one in the Myrtle Beach area.

I may get a Lucky Bastard tomorrow.

Please let me know if you find any decent beer in Myrtle. Been going there once yearly for a while now and I haven't been able to find anything.
I'm particularly fond of Belgian ales but like a lot of American craft beers as well.

Anyways. The show is pretty cool but I would be more interested in learning more about their r&d and their brewing processes rather than the drama.

The rapping has got to go! I was embarrassed when I watched that episode.

AKcobra

Established Member
Local Brew is good. We have Silver Gulch Brewing up here, but they have changed brewmasters a couple of times. With each change they lose quality in some beers and gain in others. I support them, but also like trying new stuff.

Stone is one of my favorite breweries, also enjoy Lefthand Brewing

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Please let me know if you find any decent beer in Myrtle. Been going there once yearly for a while now and I haven't been able to find anything.
I'm particularly fond of Belgian ales but like a lot of American craft beers as well.

Anyways. The show is pretty cool but I would be more interested in learning more about their r&d and their brewing processes rather than the drama.

The rapping has got to go! I was embarrassed when I watched that episode.

Two places I can say that have a good selection of beers on tap, locals included, are Liberty Taproom and Stool Pidgins bar at Broadway.

verbal

Established Member
I remember being a teenager in Rehoboth Beach, DE when Dogfish Head was just getting started. It is pretty cool to see that they have become so big. That is the main reason I watch the show. I get bored with it fast and have not been able to make it through a whole episode though.

Users who are viewing this thread