Bridesmaids - A Quick Movie Review

hb712

Established Member
I just got back from seeing Bridesmaids with the wife and it is hilarious. I figured I'd write a really quick review so you guys have an idea of what you may or may not be missing.

Bridesmaids, Universal Studios 2011.
4.75/5 Stars
Living in the shadow of a close friend's life is something most everyone can relate to. There is usually someone in your life who is wealthier, better educated, happier than you are. Most of the time this amounts to petty jealousy and drunken arguments. In Annie's (Kristen Wiig) case, everyone around her has everything she wants. Bridesmaids flawlessly takes us through the roller coaster ride which is Annie's life.

We begin with the announcement of best friend Lillian's (Maya Rudolph) engagement and Annie's appointment as maid of honor. From here on Bridesmaids rolls through the introduction of the remaining bridesmaids, including the soon to be arch nemesis Helen (Rose Byrne), to the planning of the pre wedding events, all while giving us a glimpse of the tragedy that is Annie's life. I feel as though this brief synopsis is both required (in terms of length) and at the same time unfitting. Bridesmaids is simply one of those comedies, akin to movies like the Hangover, that has to be watched to really be appreciated.

It's difficult to tell that this is Kristen Wiig's first screenplay given the seamless integration of both comedy and drama. From the main characters down to the bit parts, every scene and character is well written and clever. My accolades are so many that it is easier to count the negatives and just assume everything else was a home run. My only real complaints are that the introduction is slightly slow as the film builds its base for the drama aspect and that it is indeed, infused with a taste of 'chick flick'. Those objections aside, every guy reading this should go see Bridesmaids. It is not written only for women; I promise you that this comedy is equal opportunity.

If I could say just one thing about Bridesmaids, I would say just wait for the constant references to come. Just like the Hangover, Bridesmaids will be quoted everywhere. "I shit myself. I shit in the street."

Enjoy.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
So what was better, The Hangover or Brides Maids? I cant Wait for The Hangover Part 2. Its in like 12 days. :rockon:

hb712

Established Member
So what was better, The Hangover or Brides Maids? I cant Wait for The Hangover Part 2. Its in like 12 days. :rockon:

They were different types of movies, but I liked them both equally. Each one had my laughing the whole movie.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
you guys make fun of people about american idol threads and went and paid to see the chickiest flick of 2011?

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member
you guys make fun of people about american idol threads and went and paid to see the chickiest flick of 2011?

Didn't say a word about American Idol. It also isn't the "chickiest flick of 2011". Like I said, there was some aspect of chick flick in it, but it was hilarious and worth paying to see.

hb712

Established Member
Know how I know you are gay?

Because I went to see a comedy that was filmed primarily with women? Could it be the fact that you would rather watch a movie filmed primarily with men? I'm just trying to keep up with your flawed logic, it confuses me.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Because I went to see a comedy that was filmed primarily with women? Could it be the fact that you would rather watch a movie filmed primarily with men? I'm just trying to keep up with your flawed logic, it confuses me.

You meant "primarily for women", right? Dude, you wrote a review for a chick flick!

Because you live in CA? O you meant the OP...

I don't live in CA. Go back to runnin' your moonshine down there in NC you hillbilly. :)

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
You meant "primarily for women", right? Dude, you wrote a review for a chick flick!

I don't live in CA. Go back to runnin' your moonshine down there in NC you hillbilly. :)

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in the South is a hillbilly. I know this is news to you fudge packers over there in the West. What is Arnold teaching you guys these days? :read:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My wife and I can't wait to see this movie. I would expect it will be one we'll watch more than once.

Thanks for the review. :)

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in the South is a hillbilly. I know this is news to you fudge packers over there in the West. What is Arnold teaching you guys these days? :read:

Let me speak slowly so I don't confuse you...I...do...not...live...in...California.

Now...please...go...back...to...screwing...your...sister...with...no...teeth...and...runnin'...your...shine...since...you...do...not...understand...the...meaning...of...a...smiley...face.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
WOW...quite the review...

Did your husband like it? :lol1:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Let me speak slowly so I don't confuse you...I...do...not...live...in...California.

Now...please...go...back...to...screwing...your...sister...with...no...teeth...and...runnin'...your...shine...since...you...do...not...understand...the...meaning...of...a...smiley...face.

Calm down buddy, I'm just messing around. And how did you know my sister has no teeth? ;-)

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Wife and I went to see it yesterday. VERY funny movie.

Anyone making comparisons to Hangover don't know.

The bridal gallery scene will quickly become and instant classic. Laughed so hard I was crying.

Comes very highly recommended and will definitely be a BD purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread