Broke my sc crank pulley

Black01Vert

Established Member
No idea how or why this happened..

Just done with the termi swap on my mach and when I started the car up, everything was fine till 1 min later, I noticed the sc belt was not moving. The harmonic balancer spins just fine but not the sc pulley.

Looks like it broke around the 14mm Allen bolt and I can easily spin it with my hand.

Anybody have this happen to them? The car was idling, didn't even rev it.

DannyBoy08

Established Member
Did one of the stock idler bearings seize up? I would check each to see how they spin. I would imagine something drastic had to happen to allow a bolt to shear.

Black01Vert

Established Member
Did one of the stock idler bearings seize up? I would check each to see how they spin. I would imagine something drastic had to happen to allow a bolt to shear.

Don't think so, I was turning the belt with my hand and everything seemed fine, I'll check them though..

What I did notice at first was that the belt was off one tooth inward on the crank pulley, and the eaton pulley got a little hot to the touch after running for 2 min.. Pulley not aligned?

Black93Fox

Established Member
I wouldn't think a eaton would get that hot so quick. Sounds like something else may have been a issue. How much tension was on the belt?

aarons04cobra

Established Member
you didn't check the oil in the blower before you installed and started it???? sounds like you are going to be buying a new s/c soon. sorry man

mhinchley

Established Member
Oil was immediately my first thought too. Most drain the oil before shipping.

Also could possibly be caused from hitting the snout with a hammer or dropping it, so that it pushes the snout shaft further into the case, which would also cause an alignment issue. But I have burnt up a rib or two off a belt, by just not getting it (the belt) installed just right. Just did it a couple days ago in fact.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread