Broke rear sway bar?

snake it

Anyone ever seen this? What would cause this?

d2e80739.jpg

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Thats the 29mm Eibach sway bar. I have the same one - it's pretty beefy.

From the looks of your pic, you can see it was rubbing against the half-shaft. Note the wear on the shaft (the rust has been abraded off) and the same on the bottom of the sway bar. Could be?

On a good note, I seem to recall that it had a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I think the marking on it is from after it broke and started laying in the half shaft. My guess would be maybe the bar is binding near the diff bracket (mine did at first but I clearanced the bracket), the bar had a defect/crack in it or you went off road and did some superman style cornering. LOL! Either way, it is not going to be fun to change.

snake it

The rubbing was after it broke.
I removed it and mig welded it back together.
It is now back on the car and just finished testing it. I slamed it around several corners and a couple of highway on ramps. All is right in cobra land again.
The removal and install required the gas tank to come out.
It wasnt to bad but I have two lifts in my garage. ;-)
The whole thing took a leasurely 4-5 hours.

I was wondering...I have MM delrin bushings, could the additional articulation have put more stress on the bar?

racebronco2

Established Member
Friend of mine broke two of them, eibach replaced them at no charge. I think it's because the rear is much stiffer than the front of the car. I have never had a problem but i am running a steeda front tubular bar. The eibach front solid bar was way to stiff. Even when i did have the stock front bar i never had a problem.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I think the marking on it is from after it broke and started laying in the half shaft.

Or that too! The end-link did also look a bit close, but it was hard to tell from the pic. I can only use mine on the end setting, but it's still a nice improvement over the factory bar.

The rubbing was after it broke.
I removed it and mig welded it back together.
It is now back on the car and just finished testing it. I slamed it around several corners and a couple of highway on ramps. All is right in cobra land again.
The removal and install required the gas tank to come out.
It wasnt to bad but I have two lifts in my garage. ;-)
The whole thing took a leasurely 4-5 hours.

I was wondering...I have MM delrin bushings, could the additional articulation have put more stress on the bar?

I would think you should get on Eibach, but then you have to go through the hassle of another removal and install. It's a pain to drop the fuel tank, but if you aren't motivated to pull the IRS, it is the way to go especially if you get a new bar.

Users who are viewing this thread