Broken JLP longbar

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I was going up the onramp on my way to work last week under pretty hard acceleration when the back end suddenly snapped to the right. I let off and straightened it out and thought I'd hit some water or something, it was still dark. I later figured that it was a painted line and dismissed it.

Today I was looking up under the truck and found that the front end of the right traction bar has broken at the weld. JLP is closed this weekend so I'll have to wait until next week to get a replacement. Good thing I found it because I was preparing to take it on a long trip this weekend, we'll be taking the wife's car instead.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I've seen some bend because of hard launching. Mine seem to be doing good except they clunk as I first accelerate and suddenly let off.

Rich

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Mine used to clunk a long time ago, torquing the front mounting bracket bolts to 40 ft. lbs. cured it as opposed to me getting them "tight" with hand tools. ;-)

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
Sorry to hear about this man. You could always just take the bars out and drive it no? I've never liked JLP or his products... Hope you get it resolved!

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Bob yours arent the first ones ive seen do that. I think you are the 2nd or thrid truck in the last year. Keep us posted man

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
That would be cool, thanks. I could reweld it but I didn't have time, out of town for family reunion until Sunday. I also wanted to wait and see if JLP will warranty it or sell me a new one or what.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
That would be cool, thanks. I could reweld it but I didn't have time, out of town for family reunion until Sunday. I also wanted to wait and see if JLP will warranty it or sell me a new one or what.

Id hope hed warranty it man, selling you a new one after the part failed is kinda cold.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Will do. I got them off today and found that the welds are in tact, the tubing itself broke. :dw: I'll snap some pics later.

Here's some pics after I removed the bars.

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
looks like they are using a tubing that is much thinner walled than it should be in that area.
bob bust the weld and use a thicker wall piece of tube re-weld and be happy man :)
We all know you got the skills for it :)

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
It will depend upon what JLP says, if they warranty it then I'm good. If they don't and I have to fix it then they'll be done differently. The other bar appears to be fine.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
It will depend upon what JLP says, if they warranty it then I'm good. If they don't and I have to fix it then they'll be done differently. The other bar appears to be fine.

the other one may seem ok but if it was a defect in the steel used, and if the steel is the fromt he same batch as your other one...keep a damned close eye on it man

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
bob it looks like to much heat in the wled based off how the breaks looks. kinda like it follows the weld which is making me think to much heat causing the bart to get brittle

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Spoke to JL today and he flatly offered to fix it for free if I sent it to him. Can't ask for anything more IMO. Given the downtime and expense (albeit minimal) I'm probably going to reweld and fix it myself. If either ever cracks again I already know what's going to replace them. ;-)

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Spoke to JL today and he flatly offered to fix it for free if I sent it to him. Can't ask for anything more IMO. Given the downtime and expense (albeit minimal) I'm probably going to reweld and fix it myself. If either ever cracks again I already know what's going to replace them. ;-)

Whats going to replace them????? :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread