brothers tesla at the drag strip

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So a couple of things. Aside from the one time we can clearly see he redlight, -.032 vs a green .454, that's half a second head start. how many other times did he redlight or just destroy the other car off the tree. The camaro and the HC both looked like they gave him a second headstart? I'd say the Scat pack was the only one with in a couple of tenths with leaving with him on the tree. that has nothing to do with how great a Tesla is, but how bad the other drivers were.

2nd, how do those things not spin the tires? Lots of powerful AWD cars still spun somewhat out the hole, looks like Tesla has found some kind of magic that they just hook.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
how do those things not spin the tires? Lots of powerful AWD cars still spun somewhat out the hole, looks like Tesla has found some kind of magic that they just hook.

This is one of the huge advantages of electric cars: the traction control can be absurdly good. A mechanical traction control has to cut cylinders or actuate the ABS to bring wheelspin under control. An electric traction control just changes the torque to the *wheel* in question, electronically, and they can do that around 30X / second. An electric car with AWD has (at least) two motors, and they can do this party trick with the front and rear wheels independently. The result is that the acceleration is really at the limit of what the tires can mechanically deliver, up the point (40-50 MPH for a P100 Tesla) where the car is no longer traction limited.

Working against electric cars is their weight, which is mostly due to the battery pack (the electric motors are light relative to an IC motor), and their somewhat-limited horsepower. That's why they are near-unbeatable from a stoplight, and get slaughtered in roll racing.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, Ben has it correct. Independent wheel or axle control of torque management can keep the tires at the practical limit of grip. Add R compound or drag radials and it's pretty much game over on the street or strip.
I'll still take ICE for now and insane top end pull from real power, but once they affordable combine the two, I'll take my Hellcat Charger with Teslas formula on the front axles.
-J

_Snake_

Established Member
This is one of the huge advantages of electric cars: the traction control can be absurdly good. A mechanical traction control has to cut cylinders or actuate the ABS to bring wheelspin under control. An electric traction control just changes the torque to the *wheel* in question, electronically, and they can do that around 30X / second. An electric car with AWD has (at least) two motors, and they can do this party trick with the front and rear wheels independently. The result is that the acceleration is really at the limit of what the tires can mechanically deliver, up the point (40-50 MPH for a P100 Tesla) where the car is no longer traction limited.

Working against electric cars is their weight, which is mostly due to the battery pack (the electric motors are light relative to an IC motor), and their somewhat-limited horsepower. That's why they are near-unbeatable from a stoplight, and get slaughtered in roll racing.

This. And it’s incredible. I rode in friend’s and he did a quick 0-80 on a wet road faster than 99% of other cars would do on a dry road. It was actually a bit violent and there wasn’t even a hint of spin. Blew my mind.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
and a 1.8 short time is not really all that great (probably due to its stock tires.)

but looking at the rest of the timeslip, you can see that this computerized vehicle is really putting down its power in the most efficient way possible for the rest of the run considering the trap speed

i welcome our new robot overlords

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'll take the Z06. Internal combustion FTW!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I do love internal combustion engines. But I gotta say, if the future is electric, it's gonna be damn fun.

The Tesla roadster will be *insane*

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I do love internal combustion engines. But I gotta say, if the future is electric, it's gonna be damn fun.

The Tesla roadster will be *insane*
I can see how the electrics using max torque constantly pulling through one gear is perfect for a drag strip, and I know you have a ton of road course experience, so do you think the Tesla will be difficult to drive on track?
I guess I'm assuming you want some wheel spin to modulate and an on/off switch may be a challenge.
Total newb question, but I'm guessing you have unique perspective :)
-J

_Snake_

Established Member
I can see how the electrics using max torque constantly pulling through one gear is perfect for a drag strip, and I know you have a ton of road course experience, so do you think the Tesla will be difficult to drive on track?
I guess I'm assuming you want some wheel spin to modulate and an on/off switch may be a challenge.
-J

Drift mode. :)

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
-J
So far the electrics are not great at the track. They're heavy and lack the brakes and cooling necessary, and since you're usually going faster than 40 mph, their traction trick is less useful.

I am curious to see if Elon gives the roadster enough brake and cooling capacity to do a few laps at a time. It's going to be fearsome in a straight line, for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread