Build Stock 4.6 or Get a New Crate Engine?

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
There has been some debate in my household recently... I have a '99 Mustang GT. Completely stock 4.6L 2V engine (although I do plan to gradually build it to be a beast). The debate is whether to build my current 4.6 in my car or buy a new 4.6 2V crate engine. My engine is a Windsor, and my husband read something "scary" the other day that has him worried about me building my stock engine..

"If you're building a 4.6 SOHC engine, you need to know there are two basic Windsor block castings, and four basic Romeo block castings. It's a good idea to keep Windsor heads with Windsor blocks, and Romeo heads with Romeo blocks to eliminate any confusion in your engine build. If you're going to interchange parts and castings between the two plants, you better know exactly what you're doing or expect all kinds of disappointment, wasted time, and expense."

What do you guys think about this? I guess I'm looking for some advice or opinions. Would it be wise to buy a new complete crate engine that I can just purchase and drop in my car, or would that even matter at all? My beau is a 100% Camaro dewd, and his Chevy is in a different world than my Mustang, so he's not much help in my area.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I had the same debate when I was swapping my engine.

IMO, get a crate motor and drop it in. Have a big name, professional company build it. Many of them come with a warranty too.

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
I had the same debate when I was swapping my engine.

IMO, get a crate motor and drop it in. Have a big name, professional company build it. Many of them come with a warranty too.

What swap did you go with? And even with a crate motor, do you have to be cautious when it comes to buying parts (does the Windsor/Romeo situation matter with the new crate engine)?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I'd build the 4.6 in the car. Youll have much less money in it than buying something from mmr etc. Idk why the windsor/romeo issue bothers you. Buy parts for a windsor, every aftermarket head out their has an option of windsor or romeo block.

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
That's what I thought.. But him being the Chevy guy tried to convince me otherwise, lol. He thought it was going to be some difficult task picking parts.

Brutal DSG

Angry Turtle
Established Member
Build your motor you'll be fine. You may want to look into finding a Teksid block to take some weight off the nose. If you want to go crazy get a Boss block and do a big bore motor. What are the plans for your car N/A or FI? If FI Nitrous or Blower or Turbo?

2004gt604

38FCKER
Established Member
What swap did you go with? And even with a crate motor, do you have to be cautious when it comes to buying parts (does the Windsor/Romeo situation matter with the new crate engine)?

it wouldnt matter because it wouldnt be a romeo or a windsor block if you dropped a new engine in it, but honestly unless your going to race it the engine you have it in there will be more then power for a dd just put a pd blower on the top and your fine, the tork tech terminator kits make around 400hp on a bone stock engine (thats the intercooled kit)

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
What is the ultimate plan for the car? 9 second drag car, powerful daily? What do you plan on doing with it? Then this question can be better answered!

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
Quite simply, this is my daily driver (but I don't "work" so I don't get out as much as you would think), but I'm wanting this car to dominate the dragstrip. Basically, since everyone thinks girls can't drive, that alone gives me a good advantage when it comes to people being willing to race me for some cash. :-D I am definitely going to go with a supercharger. I love turbos, and they make amazing power on Mustangs, but my heart has always been set on a supercharger, lol. I plan on lots of mods. My goal is to get to around 600-650 hp.

2004gt604

38FCKER
Established Member
looks like your husband is going to be spending some money then. our engines (the one you have in there now are good for about 425 hp with the stock internals, with that the cheapest and easiest way to attain that is to put a supercharger on there what i would do is get a tork tech terminator kit and slap an eaton m112 on the top, the best kindd of superchargers are positive displacement superchargers because you get boost at all rpms not just after 3 or 4k but if your going to be dragging the car and racing it hard your going to run into problems when pushing this engine to the max (with stock bottom end and internals) if you going to race this car regularly i would put a bigger and stronger crate engine a corba or bullit engine, of forge the bottom end and rotating assembly, bottom line with the engine you have in it right now getting to 650hp is going to cost you alot and so is putting a crate engine in will to if its just your dd really think about if you wanna pour that much cash into it

Last edited:

2004gt604

38FCKER
Established Member
some things i would start on though would be a good tune, a CAI and a set of new gears, the stock gear ratio sucks

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
What your planning won't be cheap. Everything is going to have to be upgraded. Whether you forge your internals, or go for a 4v engine is up to you. Then comes the T-45 behind it, it won't hold that so a t-56 is going to be needed or an auto if you'd prefer. Then your going to have to upgrade the carrier in the rear end to a 31 spline, with 31 spline axles. Lastly I'd top the new motor off with a kenne bell or some sort of PD type supercharger as they have the best drivability and make impressive torque numbers. Your husband got deep pockets? He's easily spending in excess of 10k dollars.

Last edited:

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
Very good info here. Thanks, guys. Yeah, I'm prepared for this build to take a while. A little at a time, and we'll get there eventually. I don't drive it except on the weekends really. We have a Maxima and a Camaro, too, so the Maxima is our "miles" car. If anyone has any more info, please share! Thanks..

teufel GT

Established Member
What your planning won't be cheap. Everything is going to have to be upgraded. Whether you forge your internals, or go for a 4v engine is up to you. Then comes the T-45 behind it, it won't hold that so a t-56 is going to be needed or an auto if you'd prefer. Then your going to have to upgrade the carrier in the rear end to a 31 spline, with 31 spline axles. Lastly I'd top the new motor off with a kenne bell or some sort of PD type supercharger as they have the best drivability and make impressive torque numbers. Your husband got deep pockets? He's easily spending in excess of 10k dollars.

^this.
Drivetrain..Clutch, 26 spline t56 w/the bells and whisles to run it, axles and diff.
Fuel system to support the power.
Bottom end, mainly the rodes and pistons, crank for good measure.
upgrade the heads so they can breath.
Tires and wheels that can hook.
And we cant forget the suspension to put said power to the ground.
Annnnnd tune.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Yeah I was just pointing out the basics. The little things will add up fast upgrading everything. It would honestly be cheaper to just buy a cobra lol

teufel GT

Established Member
Yeah I was just pointing out the basics. The little things will add up fast upgrading everything. It would honestly be cheaper to just buy a cobra lol

Sad but true....if I had to do it again I would have saved the cash, sold the car and picked up an 03/04...only bad thing is really the irs IMO.

OP from a glass half full point of view, you do have a vast amount of power support options.
Tork tech like stated above has a kit which will allow you to bolt on blowers designed for the 03/04. The kit together put my car from 262/306 up to 409/396 on stock block/heads/internals. Granted those numbers are not own the strip numbers but still respectable.

To make the power you want it is going to be expensive. Not only because you will need a power adder, be it turbo, centrig, or positive displaced. Ive basically highlighted the parts above needed to even support the numbers you want. All you really need to do is shop around. Kits will be the easiest/fastest routes...but piecing will most certainly be the most cost saving method, although it is in general the most time consuming.

Don't let the different motor models scare you into purchasing a costly second block. Most legit stores will highlight the models and engine types their parts are for, but do your home work and you will not run into an issue.

The road to power in the 2v is costly....i am still working toward my goal of mid 500s and 10 second runs in full street trim. Be patient, shop smart and educate your self on the application route you choose and you'll be good to go!

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
The only limit to any project is money. When I decided to put my blower on I had a goal of a respectable weekend "toy" that I could keep the stock internals with. The GT is certainly limited by the factory parts. Like its been said everything will have to be upgraded. But if your dead set on making that 2v a 650 horsepower car it can be done. Just not cheaply, but in retrospect what car makes 600+ cheaply anyways? The best advice I can give is sit down think everything you want to do out and make a plan. Becase in the end it will be how well all these parts work together that will factor into your goal. What size tires, gear ratio, 5 speed or 6 speed, what heads and cams will mate well to your choice of forced induction, etc, etc. Theres a lot to decide, but once it's figured out take it one step at a time! Good luck! :beer:

phoenixx

youjustgotpassedbyagirl
Established Member
By the way, my GT is an automatic tranny. When I bought it, I had been searching for a Cobra for months. They are just hard to come by around here. I never saw one Cobra, Mach, or anything. :cryying: I was pretty sure that I wanted a centrifugal supercharger, but did someone mention that a roots-style will produce power from beginning to end and not just at high rpm? If that's the case, then that's enough to change my mind. I have somewhat of a plan started, but I am still trying to figure out the best brands to get. I've seen that a lot of people go with BBK stuff, some Trickflow. Everyone definitely has their own opinions when it comes to Mustangs...

Users who are viewing this thread