build t45 or t56 swap

Gtmaniac

DR. SVT
Established Member
hey folks I'm finishing up a year long build and I'm coming down to the issue of the drive train. I'm putting a D1sc on my built 4v and is hoping for 500-550rwhp with about the same amount of TQ. Now i have a good working t45 that I'm thinking about sending out to Zak at the t45 source to get beefed up with the street heat build for about 1600, but i came across a t56 for 1200. My question is, would i be crazy to pass up the t56 or should i go ahead and send the t45 in. the only reason I'm really considering the t56 is because i can offset that price a little by selling my t45 and it would cost me anywhere from 600-800 for the t56 after selling the t45. What do you guys think?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I put a T-56 in my 01 and loved it. I like the gear spacing better then the 5 speeds. If it were me I'd get the T-56 and do the 26 spline input shaft upgrade.

Gtmaniac

DR. SVT
Established Member
Yea that's what I was thinking plus I have never had a 6 speed so it will be cool to have one now I gotta figure out what gears I w be using lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yea that's what I was thinking plus I have never had a 6 speed so it will be cool to have one now I gotta figure out what gears I w be using lol

I originally had the stock 3.27's with the T-56 and it pulled pretty good. But I had the extra cubes to help. I traded center sections with a buddy that had 3.90's and it definitely made a difference. I car accelerated in all 6 gears with no issue. I could pass on the freeway without down shifting. However the cruise rpm got old. Mostly because I had an open BOV. If I could've quieted that down I would have been ok with the rpm. Also, I know no one cares, but my mpg didn't change at all between the gears. On the freeway at least. Around town it went up.

I'd rock the stocker til it breaks, I'm still on mine with the oem clutch which amazes me...

It all depends on how you drive it. I had my stock 3650 for a long time. Never had an issue. Sold it to a buddy with a stock 01 and he killed it in a couple of months.

shurur

Established Member
You could also probably trade the t45 for a rebuilt t3650 through Zak. They rebuild both transmissions. It depends on how much you want a six speed.

Gtmaniac

DR. SVT
Established Member
I'd rock the stocker til it breaks, I'm still on mine with the oem clutch which amazes me...

I would but with a baby on the way and a dead line of july given by the ole lady I gotta get it to a sort of "worry free" point im not harsh on my car like that haha im more of a cruiser with a slight heavy foot :coolman:

You could also probably trade the t45 for a rebuilt t3650 through Zak. They rebuild both transmissions. It depends on how much you want a six speed.

yea I spoke with zak (pretty cool guy btw) and he doesn't know if he will have some in the future as the parts for the tr3650 are on a nation wide back order. and im still tossing around sending mines out for rebuild but that t56 is soooo tempting lol

leegro1015

Established Member
If you could get the T-56 complete swap for $1,200 then do it. If it is just the transmission remember it is not a direct swap. You will need a new 03/04 pinion flange, drive shaft or modify your own, cross member, bell housing(if not included). I personally would never get a TR-3650. Installation is a pain in the ass because the transmission and bell housing are one unit. The t-45 and the t-56 are two piece units which make install and removal a bit easier.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The 3650 is all one piece too. Only the T-56 is two piece. If you run the 03/04 driveshaft you just need the u-joint that adapts the smaller pinion flange to the driveshaft.

Gtmaniac

DR. SVT
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys i went ahead and grabbed the t-56 i was complete with drive shaft already modded for a gt and the bell all for 1300 (originally wanted 250 for the driveshaft but he ended up selling it for 100). The crossmember i heard will swap from t-45 to t-56 with a little modding or from what i read from some forums. :shrug: Even then I'm so farr into the build i would fork out the money to finish this thing up. At this point i just want to drive the d**n thing. the jetta just doesn't have enough torque :bored:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good choice. I was just going to recommend the T-56. You're going to like it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread