Building a 2017 mustang

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
If you wanted to build a 2017 mustang just to get back into the mustang game, and wanted everything from the factory/dealership, what would you recommend? Car will see daily usage with my kids and possible drag racing

My thoughts::

2017 grabber blue
Standard base gt
Power pack
Recaros
Upgraded wheels
Dealership installed roush blower---727 kit or maybe 670 kit
Gt350 valence and rear diffuser
Automatic

What else am I missing?? Any suspension upgrades I need?? I'm looking to get the car from the dealer ready to rock. In other words, I don't want to have to add anything.

Anything special for 2017 other than newer colors?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just colors.

I'd install some sort of suspension kit and different rear tires. No way you'll be able to put the power to the ground without it.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I'm not sure exactly what comes with the performance pack, but I'd likely get it for the brakes. Doesn't that come with sway bars, different differential, and 3.31's or 3.73's??

I also plan on drag radials at a minimum for the rear. Going to see if I can order cobra jet rear wheels from the dealership although I don't know if they would work with the brakes

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Is the performance pack worth it for the factory brakes?

The standard brakes are very good but the performance pack comes with a ton of other good stuff that is worth the money. I wish I had it just for the wheels and tires.

I would add some Ford Racing or DSS halfshafts and some BMR suspension goodies to put the power down without breaking something. Oh, and a manual so you don't offend the delicate sensibilities of SVTP /s

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm not sure exactly what comes with the performance pack, but I'd likely get it for the brakes. Doesn't that come with sway bars, different differential, and 3.31's or 3.73's??

I also plan on drag radials at a minimum for the rear. Going to see if I can order cobra jet rear wheels from the dealership although I don't know if they would work with the brakes

You can only get the PP with a manual but yes, it does get you 3.73s, sway bars and a Torsen diff. I believe the smallest wheels that fit over the rear brakes are 17s unless you make some modifications.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

performance back gets 6 piston Brembos, 3.73 w/Torsen T2 diff, 255 tires up fron, 275 out back and some suspension stuff etc...FWIW the 4 piston factory front calipers/brakes are fantastic. My buddies 15 stops faster than my 14 track pack GT with brembos...Hell the 15+ factory calipers look like they were probably sourced from Brembo, just not branded and painted like Brembo.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
The standard brakes are very good but the performance pack comes with a ton of other good stuff that is worth the money. I wish I had it just for the wheels and tires.

I would add some Ford Racing or DSS halfshafts and some BMR suspension goodies to put the power down without breaking something. Oh, and a manual so you don't offend the delicate sensibilities of SVTP /s

I had a 2014 with the 4pot brembo package and it was well worth the money. I'm not a fan of the new performance pack wheels since black wheels do not always look good with every color. I have also heard the 3.73 with the torsen is not all that strong, but I'm not sure if it's more capable than the normal LSD.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I had a 2014 with the 4pot brembo package and it was well worth the money. I'm not a fan of the new performance pack wheels since black wheels do not always look good with every color. I have also heard the 3.73 with the torsen is not all that strong, but I'm not sure if it's more capable than the normal LSD.

The Torsen is a strong diff, plenty of guys have been auto-x'ng them for years at high power levels and no complaints, its a great diff for guys that enjoy auto-x/corner carving. I would not want one if my intention was to do a lot of drag racing at the strip.. You aren't going to hurt it with the occasional pass down the strip, just wouldn't want if that is something you do every weekend.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
The Torsen is a strong diff, plenty of guys have been auto-x'ng them for years at high power levels and no complaints, its a great diff for guys that enjoy auto-x/corner carving. I would not want one if my intention was to do a lot of drag racing at the strip.. You aren't going to hurt it with the occasional pass down the strip, just wouldn't want if that is something you do every weekend.

That makes sense. I'm more of a corner carver myself so that's great info.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
performance back gets 6 piston Brembos, 3.73 w/Torsen T2 diff, 255 tires up fron, 275 out back and some suspension stuff etc...FWIW the 4 piston factory front calipers/brakes are fantastic. My buddies 15 stops faster than my 14 track pack GT with brembos...Hell the 15+ factory calipers look like they were probably sourced from Brembo, just not branded and painted like Brembo.

The standard S550 GT brakes are the same size and number of pistons as the 11-14 Brembos but aren't technically Brembos like you said, I wouldn't be surprised if they were essentially the same parts. A lot of the braking improvement comes from the suspension design that controls brake dive a lot better.

I agree about the black wheels but thankfully they are available in silver as of the 2016 MY

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
My buddies 15 stops faster than my 14 track pack GT with brembos...Hell the 15+ factory calipers look like they were probably sourced from Brembo, just not branded and painted like Brembo.

There is some pretty good info out there on brakes. The trend of big brakes doesn't always equate to shorter stopping distance. The short and watery version is that big brakes are for heat, i.e. consistent stopping under track-like conditions. A car with smaller calipers and rotors can actually be better if the system is properly balanced. Some folks even hurt their performance by adding more brake by throwing off the bias.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There is some pretty good info out there on brakes. The trend of big brakes doesn't always equate to shorter stopping distance. The short and watery version is that big brakes are for heat, i.e. consistent stopping under track-like conditions. A car with smaller calipers and rotors can actually be better if the system is properly balanced. Some folks even hurt their performance by adding more brake by throwing off the bias.

I agree with the above. FWIW I have never been that impressed with track pack Brembos as they came. I will be going to different pads and adding braided steel lines, the pedal has just never had a real firm feel and that initial bite when engaging the brakes just isn't there. The S550 factory 4 piston calipers and discs are the same size, perhaps it is as VenomGTX pointed out. The front suspension on the S550 is an improved design and just works better under braking. I imagine the pad compound is different as well, his brakes have a lot more initial bite and don't take nearly as much pedal travel.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
All I care about is straight line performance, so I'm not interested in the manual, as sad as that sounds. So the performance pack is not an option with the auto? Can I source the parts from the ford catalog and just have them installed?? That sucks

RRMBrembo

Established Member
Seems like the performance pack isn't a great value for straight line performance. As stated above the differential does not stand up to 1/4 mile abuse and the brakes don't seem the worth the money.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Not getting a 350, because I'd want a 350r, and I'm not paying over msrp for another car again unless it's special

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm ready for the build and price on Ford's site to come up for the 17's

Users who are viewing this thread