Building a 2v

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Hey guys looking to take the next step soon and build my weak little 2v from the bottom up... I am running a vortech v2 on it now at 10 psi and it is an intercooled set up with vortech mondo bypass.... I would like to see anywhere from 550 t0 600 I know I am gonna have to uprgrade pumps but was wondering how much u guys spent on building ures... want to the top and bottom end all in one shot... was wondering how much it cost to do I was planning on spending anywhere from 6 to 7 grand ... any info would be appreciated thanks :beer:

Chais92

Established Member
You can definitely get it done for 6-7k in my opinion. I ordered a brand new mmr 4.75l 750 shortblock that ran 3700 shipped. I then found a set of ported and polished heads from mmr for sale on this site and stole them for 700 shipped. Then I decided on a set of Houston performance s292 blower cams. Got them for 450 I believe don't remember exactly. That totals out to right at 5k and I definitely could've done it cheaper. There are always forged shortblocks on here for sale! Had it on a dyno before we realized it had a warped valve stuck open. The very first base run it made 397 with a dead cylinder and no corrections. Estimated to make 550-600 on 15 psi through a tiny v1

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the info... ill just piece the motor together slowly then seems like the best way to save money and Ill just look out for deals

Stanger00

Established Member
With that much money to spend you will have to buy used.

My build was all built with NEW parts. Only used part I bought was a Tial BOV and 03-04 Cobra tank.

Pushing 614hp at the wheel thru automatic FWIW. Pump gas boost level as well. Buy big injectors my 60#'s are maxed out. Go return style fuel system and SAVE a lot of money!

Chais92

Established Member
Just keep your eye out for good deals man. Like I said my heads were 700 and they had never even been installed on any car after the mmr work. Everybody is gonna give you different advice just do alot of research and make sure the setup is exactly what you want! Do it right the first time instead of going back later. I wish I would have gone turbo but it just wasnt in the cards and I wanted the car done. If I had known I would have all these delays and other problems I would've pulled the trigger on the kit I originally found.

Dasaliac03

TWINscrewed
Established Member
6-7g's isnt a bad start at all bud!

Shortblock and heads are going to be the majority of the expense.

As far as fuel goes.............buy you a used cobra fuel tank or pick up a Glens sumped tank, dual gt40 supercar pumps with a wiring upgrade and 60lb siemen deka injectors all should get you there with the right amount of boost of course

Last edited:

Dasaliac03

TWINscrewed
Established Member
With that much money to spend you will have to buy used.

My build was all built with NEW parts. Only used part I bought was a Tial BOV and 03-04 Cobra tank.

Pushing 614hp at the wheel thru automatic FWIW. Pump gas boost level as well. Buy big injectors my 60#'s are maxed out. Go return style fuel system and SAVE a lot of money!

I'd deff listen to this guy!

Stanger00

Established Member
I'd deff listen to this guy!

Anything we can do to help. I'd rather have a return style fuel system but I was set on keeping return less. I spent about 500-600 more than I should have over return.

There will lots of great deals if you collect parts over time. Just make sure you go through the parts you buy and make sure they are what you paid for.

Edit:

Just remember that with a stage 3 PI head you will need fly cut pistons. Stage 2 heads will be fine and will get you to your goal of 550 hp with 15lbs of boost. Add a 10% overdrive to pick up some torque as well and a little more horsepower up top with the extra boost.

Last edited:

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
Hey man

Mine ran me about 5-6k but had it all done at kurgan motorsports. Im on safe tune and still making 400rwhp

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys and I don't plan on cheating out on anything cause I want to do this right the first time... Far as a blower upgrade to think going to the Si impeller would get me to around 600 with a smaller pulley ... Currently running a 3.33 pulley making 10 psi

Stanger00

Established Member
Stage 3 PI heads, stock compression and a decent blower cam will get you to your goal of hitting around 600 hp with pump gas boost ~17psi. I highly suggest picking up a 10% overdrive crank pulley to help you get there and bring up torque as well.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
was looking into the lethal performance return style systems for a fuel set up.... was wondering if any of you guys have used these casue like you said I would like to do this right and do it once and I want to have the whole fuel set up for more power just incase I ever want to bring my numbers up more

Stanger00

Established Member
I could find a list I put together on what would be needed for a return style fuel system. I think I came out a little cheaper over the Lethal kit...However, you will have to measure and cut the fuel hose yourself and install them onto the fittings. I will add that all of the fuel line I priced out is PTFE coated to withstand ethanol fuels.

I did this after I spent a ton of cash on my returnless stuff...I am still running stock lines and stock rails.

froush

Established Member
14k including the price of the car for me including everything. Thats after the engine rebuild. My car started as a bonestock v6 also if that changes anything. You can easily do that for 6-7k. find a nice built shortblock. Id try to get a deal on ported heads but they arent needed for only 600ish hp. as far as fuel, i spent maybe $400 for my setup including injectors and its good for at least 700hp seeing that i was only at 81% fpdc at 600ish hp. Deals can be found if you know what to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread