Building a clone, thoughts?

BottleRocket

Established Member
So I'm finally getting back into Mustangs after a several year break from them. I've only had two (87 GT vert and a 91 LX coupe). Well now its time for something completely different, sorta. I have a friend who has a 1991 GT hatch I want to make into a clone. I want to make it as complete as possible, but by no means do I want to try to pass it off as a real Cobra. I love the SVT cars and have lots of respect for them. I just like how they look. But I also hate the half-assed clones running around (wing and grille insert with ponys and GT scoops, etc).

To my point, what makes a "respectable" clone? At first I thought a Cobra was simply the body, intake, MAF, injectors and wheels/brakes. I had no idea it was so many other minor things (reading the sticky). I wanted to build a clone, tastefully modify it with some nice suspension bits and maybe a power adder for good measure. But I have a bad feeling making a true clone will break me if I delve into all of the finer details such as the leather steering wheel with no cruise, the brake modulator, bigger MC, etc.

What do you guys consider a good clone?

WillyB93

Established Member
I think you would be better off buying a 70k (or higher or lower) mile 1993 cobra for what you are going to spend on making a clone!!! Some of the parts are easy to come bye and then there are some that aren't as easy too!!! I say this cause i see cars like this for a decent price all the time!!! Good luck but I would weigh your options a little.

BottleRocket

Established Member
I think you would be better off buying a 70k (or higher or lower) mile 1993 cobra for what you are going to spend on making a clone!!! Some of the parts are easy to come bye and then there are some that aren't as easy too!!! I say this cause i see cars like this for a decent price all the time!!! Good luck but I would weigh your options a little.

The decision is almost already made. I'm a college student, so not really able to swing picking up a real Cobra, and this GT I found is $2500. I can easily pick up most of the key parts with the money I have left over from the sale of my car.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
no problem with it. dont claim its a cobra though ;). i think painting the car and putting the cobra engine components, rear axles and oem rims, and body kit, your already spending way over the value of the car... get a good shape cobra for 10-12k. or just get rid of that rear bumper on the gt and put a cobra bumper and get the cobra spoiler and call it a day =)

buddha93

Established Member
Nothing wrong with a clone car. I've seen some really nice ones. I wouldn't get to caught up in the "finer" detail stuff. Slap the correct body parts and wheels on it and call it good. Otherwise like the others mentioned, you may as well go by the real deal. They can be had for dirt cheap right now.

BottleRocket

Established Member
Honestly picking this thing up for $2500, I dont see spending more than $2000 getting it to at least LOOK like a Cobra. Thats before heads and intake, and I'd do that anyhow. But if someone knows where I can find a good condition Cobra for $5000, please let me know

bossman302

Banned
Clone

Honestly picking this thing up for $2500, I dont see spending more than $2000 getting it to at least LOOK like a Cobra. Thats before heads and intake, and I'd do that anyhow. But if someone knows where I can find a good condition Cobra for $5000, please let me know

If you can find all the parts for 2K your doing better than I am. Even the Cervini Kit is like $1200 Bucks, then you have to spend who knows how much getting it paited to match. You can find a Decent 93 Cobra rolle for around $5000. And have the real deal.

But I do understand the Limited funds factor, and having one that runs already is a plus. Keep us posted on the progress.

mean green lx

Established Member
meangreensdeath158-1.jpg

here is the clone that i'm currently building,but it'll be 5 lug an aod oh yea its going to have a 333 stroker under the hood, i'm all for the real deal or whatever but i can build MY cobra the way i want it,i could'nt really care less if its real or not i'm using all oem parts so i really don't see what the big deal is,as far as finding parts trust me the biggist prob is the ground effects,wings b covers that the easy part lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread