Building Boost...what Rpm's?

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Im trying to figure out the difference between the twins vs the single hellion as far as building and Peak boost levels.

SICKBOY

Established Member
bigger singles have more lag once spooled the power builds hard smaller twins spool faster sooner..you can dial your single to spool earlier but there is still goin to be some sort of lag as the boost pressure is created by exhaust gasses spinning the impeller

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Smokey1226 said:
LOL thanks man but i know of all that, im looking for specific RPM #'s!

Unless you give specific details of the 2 combos (single/twin) your talking about there is no answer for you!

To many variables!

SICKBOY

Established Member
sorry bro had no clue to what degree you understood turbos...and the rpm question depends on what size turbo your run..isn't the hellion twin kit two 56mm..how big a single do you plan runnin or what size twins....does the twin kit work sequentially?

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
SICKBOY said:
sorry bro had no clue to what degree you understood turbos...and the rpm question depends on what size turbo your run..isn't the hellion twin kit two 56mm..how big a single do you plan runnin or what size twins....does the twin kit work sequentially?
The Hellion Kit is a Single 76mm Turbo While the HP TT's can be a few different. Im talking about the 57's mm.

SICKBOY

Established Member
I see well then looks like you need some cats with personal setup to chime in... but again at what rpm they build will also depend on the combo you wanna throw together..There is no magic rpm without knowing tons more info....what are you looking to acheive and maybe you could go from there...is this a DD what are the HP goals? you know man shit like that... You plannin on ploppin the hair dryer on your stock mill? need more info. till then there is no answer

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

the hellion goes from 62 to 76, not just 76. so you really need to determine the size turbo's you ar comparing. my 76 hellion would hit full boost at 4k, start spooling about 3k depending all on when you hit the gas. if I hit the gas earlier it would start spooling sooner. hit it later and is spools later.

no matter the kit, a boost controller can help any kit spool faster.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
My HP twin 50's will start to build boost pretty much whenever I hit the gas....... say 1500 rpms. Next up.... it depends on what gear you are in. I see full boost by 4500rpms in 1st gear....... 2nd gear.... much lower. I can see full boost (14psi before 3000 rpms in 3rd gear on the street). See mine in action here:

Right Click, Save As

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
People need to put their car in 4th at 2000 RPM go WOT, and see at what RPM they achive peak boost.

Doing hits in lower gears isnt as accurate to guage spool data from setup to setup.

TRBO VNM

what would really be cool is have a video camera in the car at the track mounted to the cage. then you can see boost and rpm in each gear.

all the tests I did on the street I would see full boost between 4-4300 no matter the amount of boost. I tried from 10# to 18#.

now, people also need to realize the controller can change things as well like I stated before.

also, no matter the boost amount, once you hit the gas you start building boost.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
what would really be cool is have a video camera in the car at the track mounted to the cage. then you can see boost and rpm in each gear.

all the tests I did on the street I would see full boost between 4-4300 no matter the amount of boost. I tried from 10# to 18#.

now, people also need to realize the controller can change things as well like I stated before.

also, no matter the boost amount, once you hit the gas you start building boost.

The problem is that there are so many variables in a turbo setup, especially within the boost controller manufacturer and setup. Tuning and optomizing every component is key. You just can't go buy all the parts and expect it to be a success story. A turbo kit is more than the sum of its parts.

Ashley

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
The problem is that there are so many variables in a turbo setup, especially within the boost controller manufacturer and setup. Tuning and optomizing every component is key. You just can't go buy all the parts and expect it to be a success story. A turbo kit is more than the sum of its parts.

Ashley

So very, very true!!!

:beer:

TRBO VNM

LargeOrangeFont said:

Ashley

totally agree. there are so many different options in these controllers that none of us have scratched the surface to their potential and what the cars can really do. although, there aren't too many of us that ran them at the track to see track results.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
The weather is all crappy right now otherwise I'd go out and do a 4th gear low rpm pull. I've never done that before other than on the dyno. I don't drive my car like that, so I just never thought to do it before.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Guess I have to disagree here!

LargeOrangeFont said:
People need to put their car in 4th at 2000 RPM go WOT, and see at what RPM they achive peak boost.

Honestly nobody I know drives like that, and if they do they don't need to be driving a turbocharged Mustang....lol.....I don't feel it's going to give any factual info to base off of other than my car and such and such set-up spools at xxxx rpm in fourth gear if I floor it from 2000 rpms!!!:shrug:

LargeOrangeFont said:
Doing hits in lower gears isnt as accurate to guage spool data from setup to setup.

I would be more concerned with when the boost comes on full when you run thru the gears compared from set-up to set-up....just as the car is driven! Thats what matters, not when it spools under conditions you will never drive it in!

JMHO:beer:
Ken

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
4sdvenom said:
Guess I have to disagree here!

Honestly nobody I know drives like that, and if they do they don't need to be driving a turbocharged Mustang....lol.....I don't feel it's going to give any factual info to base off of other than my car and such and such set-up spools at xxxx rpm in fourth gear if I floor it from 2000 rpms!!!:shrug:

No, of course nobody drives like that. You are wrong in thinking that it it is not factual information though. Doing this test is just like running your car on the dyno. You can get a baseline #, that you can actually compare with others, and can adjust from there and see real results. Doing it in forth gear puts a real load on the turbo you cannot replicate on most dynos.

Doing pulls through the gears, or seeing peak boost in each gear is nearly useless because it is harder to keep track of while driving, and changing one component, such as an exhaust manifold will have a drastic effect on peak boost per gear. Boost is just a measure of resistance, so seeing a boost change on the guages at speed dosent really tell you anything.

4sdvenom said:
I would be more concerned with when the boost comes on full when you run thru the gears compared from set-up to set-up....just as the car is driven! Thats what matters, not when it spools under conditions you will never drive it in!

JMHO:beer:
Ken

If you optimize spool in the worst possible condition, what do you think the car is gonna do when you start banging gears, and the conditions are optimal?

Also, the more work you do in these areas, the less likely you are to suffer lag, which will make the car alot more fun to drive on the street.

If a 4th gear pull is useless then why do we dyno tune cars in a single gear pull from 2000 RPM?

If you tune your car like you suggest, you are leaving power on the table. If you tune your car using a more accurate test like a forth gear pull, the "quick hit" response from the car will be much better. Remember, if you get your boost onset sooner, you will also need to give the car fuel sooner as well.

Ashley

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
smashedheadcat said:
The weather is all crappy right now otherwise I'd go out and do a 4th gear low rpm pull. I've never done that before other than on the dyno. I don't drive my car like that, so I just never thought to do it before.

The more people we get to do it and post their results, the more info everyone will have regarding spool charateristics of various setups. I will even start the thread so people can post this info in one central location.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
No, of course nobody drives like that. You are wrong in thinking that it it is not factual information though. Doing this test is just like running your car on the dyno. You can get a baseline #, that you can actually compare with others, and can adjust from there and see real results. Doing it in forth gear puts a real load on the turbo you cannot replicate on most dynos.

Doing pulls through the gears, or seeing peak boost in each gear is nearly useless because it is harder to keep track of while driving, and changing one component, such as an exhaust manifold will have a drastic effect on peak boost per gear. Boost is just a measure of resistance, so seeing a boost change on the guages at speed dosent really tell you anything.

If you optimize spool in the worst possible condition, what do you think the car is gonna do when you start banging gears, and the conditions are optimal?

Also, the more work you do in these areas, the less likely you are to suffer lag, which will make the car alot more fun to drive on the street.

If a 4th gear pull is useless then why do we dyno tune cars in a single gear pull from 2000 RPM?

If you tune your car like you suggest, you are leaving power on the table. If you tune your car using a more accurate test like a forth gear pull, the "quick hit" response from the car will be much better. Remember, if you get your boost onset sooner, you will also need to give the car fuel sooner as well.

Ashley

For tuning purposes I might agree with some of what your saying! (Even though dynos don't fall under something my car uses or ever will)

But the original thread starter is not looking for how to tune for peak boost, he simply wants a comparison of what spools lower in the rpm range...which I took to mean...he wants to know which is going to plant him in the seat quicker when he plants his right foot, and runs thru the gears!

Not argueing with you.....just took a different perspective, and interpretation to his question!

Ken:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread