Built only for 800rwhp+?

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
I have been around many 10 sec. L owners that run built motors. All of them say about the same thing,...that the "built" motors that the "big 3" offer are all about the same and that all are good for around 800+ or - a few ponies. They say that the stock L block cannot hold much after that unless switched to the new all aluminum block. Is this true? How much is an all aluminum block? Where can one be found?

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Block is ok... it's the rods. You have to upgrade to billet internals to run 1000 rwhp or more. 99% of built motors do not have billet internals..

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I agree that the rods are the limiting factor. The block, whether iron or aluminum still has iron for the cylinders so it's the same material overall. I haven't seen an L motor get to the 800 rwhp mark yet so the H beams haven't really been tested yet. Some of the upcoming turboed L's will definately get closer than the KB'd ones, even with a big NO2 shot. Cost was the main factor that prevented me, like most, from going with billet rods. Another 1200 just for rods is a lot of $$$ when most will probably never approach the levels that would require them. Going with H beams and good rod bolts should hold anything I can afford to throw at it.

EZ SPEED

Boost Kills !!!!!!!
Established Member
Sal's old truck which is now owned by Scott Dunn, put down 803/834 :beer:

203Cree

Established Member
KB ZILLA said:

You beat me to it. I expect that we'll see higher numbers than that out of Shock's truck.

EZ SPEED

Boost Kills !!!!!!!
Established Member
203Cree said:
You beat me to it. I expect that we'll see higher numbers than that out of Shock's truck.

Yep :rockon:

I saw Shawns truck at Lightning Fest a couple of weeks ago....Very Impressive !!! :coolman:

203Cree

Established Member
KB ZILLA said:
Yep :rockon:

I saw Shawns truck at Lightning Fest a couple of weeks ago....Very Impressive !!! :coolman:

I saw both your trucks sitting right next to each other. In fact, I was parked right behind you guys. Both very impressive.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
KB ZILLA said:

Was that all boost? Very impressive, last I read JL's was putting 720 on the boost.

Shock's truck, IMO should easily hit upwards of 1000 with the right tune, fuel and conditions. I hope it does anyways.

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
Im going the aluminum block route due to the setup I want to run, 32v with, if it ever comes out the 3.3 race blower from whipple, but if they take to long we will either do the twin turbo or maybe just one large turbo.

I purchased the aluminum block wich is good for over 3000 hp and it cost $5200.00, along with that we are using custom titanium rods from crower those alone cost me $3300 and that was at discount.

Chi3f

Established Member
SVTFREEK said:
Im going the aluminum block route due to the setup I want to run, 32v with, if it ever comes out the 3.3 race blower from whipple, but if they take to long we will either do the twin turbo or maybe just one large turbo.

I purchased the aluminum block wich is good for over 3000 hp and it cost $5200.00, along with that we are using custom titanium rods from crower those alone cost me $3300 and that was at discount.

don't take this the wrong way freek but your crazy lol. I wish i had that kind of cash to put into a built motor :beer:

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
Chi3f said:
don't take this the wrong way freek but your crazy lol. I wish i had that kind of cash to put into a built motor :beer:
Thanx :D, I forgot to mention the $2500 for custom crank from Crower.

Last edited:

203Cree

Established Member
ID 10 T said:
Was that all boost? Very impressive, last I read JL's was putting 720 on the boost.

Shock's truck, IMO should easily hit upwards of 1000 with the right tune, fuel and conditions. I hope it does anyways.

That's all boost. He has a 250 shot on top of that, but I don't think he's hit it yet.

EZ SPEED

Boost Kills !!!!!!!
Established Member
203Cree said:
I saw both your trucks sitting right next to each other. In fact, I was parked right behind you guys. Both very impressive.

Cool !!

Did you stay for the show on Sunday? I won the Mild Gen 2 class :pepper:

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Ford has just recently added the aluminum 5.4l GT block to their list of purchaseable parts.

It costs over $2000 for a bare block. I asked JDM directly about the modifications on this, and they are in the process of building a mod motor for none other than Vinnie Telesco. I am watching that.

After they do his (see the progress detailed on lightningrodder.com), another one will be built for a JDM racetruck....money talks.
Don't expect JDM to crank out many of these motors for mere mortals, even if buyers have cash for it.
They'll do their pals first, getting publicity from magazines & racing events.

I am dreaming about a model with 32-valve ported GT heads with custom Crowers, Manley rods, and a forged crankshaft.
Top that with a MonsterBox tranny and aluminum oilpan, modified with a custom brakejob.....a sleeping, emissions-legal 500hp street truck is within my grasp.

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
To reach 1000rwhp from let say a JDM long block that you can order, Is all you need to do is buy the billet i-beam rods or is there more than that like a crank and pistons and bolts? Are the heads from JDM offered good to that kind of HP or would new valvetrain be recomended

Users who are viewing this thread