Built or aftermarket supercharger

baggedsvt99

03 Lightning
Established Member
I want honest opinions on which route to go if I have 5-6k. I want the most power for street and some strip time. I basically want a bad ass street truck . Should I get a whipple and supporting bolt ons or build the motor and use the eaton? What numbers have you guys seen either way?

Last edited:

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
If I did it over again I would have gotten a built motor first. Right now I have a KB 2.3 on my stock block so I am not getting anywhere near its full capability. I have a JLP built shortblock here but who knows when I will have the time or money to throw it in. If you can get the motor first cause its easier to come up with a grand or two for a used twin screw blower

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Built motor first so you aren't faced with a blown engine and the immediate need for a short block. That twin screw sure will look pretty on the blown engine, but sure as hell won't get you out of the garage on its looks alone. :beer:

If you have the cash saved up just in case on the other hand you could drive the ticking time bomb around and build it when required. This will get more use out of the stock engine, but the downside is that you can't sell the stock shortblock and/or use it as a back-up later and you also risk the possibility of a major catastrophe when the engine goes.

baggedsvt99

03 Lightning
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Thats the way I was thinking as well but didnt know if anyone had had success with the stock internals and high hp. I think I am going to get a longblock with cams and heads so im not in there after the fact. a twin screww is easier to come by as u said. Built here I come. :beer:

Last edited:

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
most ppl dont get much over 500 without blowing their engine...there r a couple exceptions out there with a couple guys making a bit over 500 on the stock block and hav been for years. if you have the money now id just go built and save your self out of a truck for a while. i went the other way and now my truck has been parked for months waiting to get the money to go built

DolSVT00

Established Member
Build the motor, add the twinscrew later. If you add the twinscrew now on the stock block, you will never be able to use its potential and if you grow nutz and get a good track number (faster than 11.9's..... You can do that with a ported eaton, anything slower than that is not impressive if you have a twinscrew blower) with the twinscrew and the stock block, you will be on borrowed time.....

With a built block its practicly impossible to hurt it with the Eaton, I spin my eaton 19psi (8#lower 2.80 upper) and probably have 20 bottles of N20 through it and have been doing it for 7200 miles on my home built block, and every weekend it runs 7.60's and 7.50's in the 1/8'th (off the bottle)........

Best of all, when I do go twinscrew or turbo (as planned) I dont have to pull the motor to use it.............

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I posted the same thing roughly over a year ago and I got a supercharger first which was a mistake. Engine blew at the track and I ended up buying a built longblock from JDM. A built motor even with an Eaton will make more than a Stocker with a KB or Whipple. The motors alone with upgraded heads/cams are a huge difference.

robbyb

Established Member
for those here who did build their engine and didnt do any of the work themselves and had to pay to have a mechanic do the work, about how much did it cost you in the end with everything added up

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Build the motor, add the twinscrew later. If you add the twinscrew now on the stock block, you will never be able to use its potential and if you grow nutz and get a good track number (faster than 11.9's..... You can do that with a ported eaton, anything slower than that is not impressive if you have a twinscrew blower) with the twinscrew and the stock block, you will be on borrowed time.....

+1 Perfect description. Except my best with a severely de-tuned 2.3 Whipple was 13.1.:fm:

If I could go back I would have went built first.

One thing that people forget is gaskets during a build. Even at 10% over cost, it's almost $600 just for the gaskets. That is if you replace every gasket on the motor, which I recommend doing.

If you toss a rod on your stock block you are looking at another $200-$250 for all of the parts that you will damage when it lets go (oil pan, oil pump pickup tube, oil dipstick tube, etc)

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Normally I'd suggest the whipple first. However after recently building my own engine.. I'd say build the motor first.

When I tore mine down I was SHOCKED to see a nearly 5 gram weight difference in the stock rods. And.. I was putting down 428rwhp PLUS a 100shot on top of that. (went a best of 11.70 @ 115 on the stock motor)
I'm certianly lucky I didn't chuck a rod.

Rich

Last edited:

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
and its usually not that cheap if u break that rod its more than likely going to knock a nice hole in the side as well

+1 Perfect description. Except my best with a severely de-tuned 2.3 Whipple was 13.1.:fm:

If I could go back I would have went built first.

One thing that people forget is gaskets during a build. Even at 10% over cost, it's almost $600 just for the gaskets. That is if you replace every gasket on the motor, which I recommend doing.

If you toss a rod on your stock block you are looking at another $200-$250 for all of the parts that you will damage when it lets go (oil pan, oil pump pickup tube, oil dipstick tube, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread