Built short block questions

cheetohead04

Established Member
ok my car is a 2011 and it broke a piston ring. The piston looks perfectly fine from what I can tell and so does the cylinder wall. So I'm wondering who makes a drop in piston / rod kit. I see complete rotating assembled from mmr and jdm but not really just a piston/rod combo. If I'm pulling the motor to fix the one piston I feel like I mine as well spend the little extra money and upgrade them all as well. Is balancing going to be an issue? I was going to reuse stock crank. I will also probably install a set of cams while it's at. Car will be a fully bolt on e85 tvs. So maybe 8-900 hp.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Any quality modular engine shop should be able to accomplish what you want. Many rod/piston combo's to satisfy what you need. They will need to rebalance the rotating assembly. Don't forget a set of quality wrist pins at that HP level.

sleek98

Established Member

cheetohead04

Established Member
Let me know if you need any help, we do offer our rebuild kit designed to be a direct replacement for 11-12 GT500's. http://www.teamjdm.com/5-4l-aluminum-gt500-shortblock-1200-hp-rebuild-kit/

If there is any scoring to the cylinder walls you need a hone but remember you can only clean up about .001-.0015" before it becomes too thin.
Does that include the crank or just rods and pistons? I haven't pulled the motor yet I looked at the top of the piston with a scope and it looks fine. The cylinder wall looks fine too just some discoloration like its burnt a little bit I saw no gouging or scratches tho. And if I just buy the rods/pistons will there be any balancing issues?

JimIII@jdm

Does that include the crank or just rods and pistons? I haven't pulled the motor yet I looked at the top of the piston with a scope and it looks fine. The cylinder wall looks fine too just some discoloration like its burnt a little bit I saw no gouging or scratches tho. And if I just buy the rods/pistons will there be any balancing issues?

Sounds like you'll definitely need to have a machine shop inspect and hone the block. Hopefully it checks out. You absolutley need to balance the roating assembly, the rods and pistons are different weight than stock so they need to be balanced with the crank. No crank in our kit although we do offer them separately, the rotating kit just includes what is listed in the package as per our site...

Kit Includes:
  • Manley H-Beam Rods w/ ARP 2000 Bolts
  • Mahle Forged NHRA Spec Pistons
  • Total Seal Custom Ring Package
  • Calico Coated Main Bearings
  • Calico Coated Rod Bearings
  • New Main Hardware

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If you broke a ring you almost certainly have damage to the cylinder wall. It doesn't take much to trash the liner in the aluminum blocks, as stated above.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
How do you know you broke a ring? Have you pulled the short block apart? If you broke a ring, why did it break? I'd mic that cylinder very carefully and check it for roundness.

Papaw

Established Member
I'd hate to see you go to the trouble and expense of replacing the piston/rod combo and then find out that the cylinder is slightly out of round. If it is then the rings might not be able to completely seal the combustion. Those hot gasses escaping past the rings will surely lead to bigger problems.

Users who are viewing this thread