Busted the track cherry

vbguy01

Established Member
Made it to the track tonight for the first time ever. With the nice weather, it was packed at Gateway but I managed to get a few runs in. My best also happened to be my first....

60- 2.0
1/8- 8.3 @ 84.6
1/4- 12.8 @ 110

I need to work on the timing of the tree as well as the launch. Both my first and second runs I have substantial wheel hop. I was launching at 2k but dumped the clutch (being nervous/anxious) instead of easing it out. The third run I tried a launch at 1k. Not a good idea. Although no wheel hop, it seemed very slow out the gate with a 2.3 60' and a 13.1 @111. It was against my friend's 03 ZO6 (who is much more experienced.)

Anyhow, I saw a few other 03's out there (a DSG and a Procharged Redfire) among others. A good time and a learning experience. I think the bug has bitten me. I see a pulley and chip in my future.

Brian

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree. Great timeslip for a first-time effort. Work on that 60' time a bit and you'll be in the mid 12s. :)

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Anything in the 12's is decent for first time out.. Your 60' isnt bad, but has .1-.2 more in it

vbguy01

Established Member
I'm fairly happy with high 12's my first time out. I think I can run 12.5 with practice. I need to study up on launching techniques. I see the strip is quite different from the street. I'm not even sure if I need to do a burnout on the DR's. Learning....

elmo0244

Established Member
Originally posted by vbguy01
Made it to the track tonight for the first time ever. With the nice weather, it was packed at Gateway but I managed to get a few runs in. My best also happened to be my first....

60- 2.0
1/8- 8.3 @ 84.6
1/4- 12.8 @ 110

I need to work on the timing of the tree as well as the launch. Both my first and second runs I have substantial wheel hop. I was launching at 2k but dumped the clutch (being nervous/anxious) instead of easing it out. The third run I tried a launch at 1k. Not a good idea. Although no wheel hop, it seemed very slow out the gate with a 2.3 60' and a 13.1 @111. It was against my friend's 03 ZO6 (who is much more experienced.)

Anyhow, I saw a few other 03's out there (a DSG and a Procharged Redfire) among others. A good time and a learning experience. I think the bug has bitten me. I see a pulley and chip in my future.

Brian
did you go on a tuesday or friday?i didn't make it last night i stayed at sixflags to long.

vbguy01

Established Member
I went last night (Tuesday) and it was packed...Got 3 runs in 3 hours. Ridiculous. I think everyone came out for the cool weather.

elmo0244

Established Member
Originally posted by vbguy01
I went last night (Tuesday) and it was packed...Got 3 runs in 3 hours. Ridiculous. I think everyone came out for the cool weather.
what time did close last night? i was kinda close to it last night around 10:00 and wasn't going to go because i thought it was to late.but i was messing around with a white lighting that had some number's on the back.did you see it there?i'm going to try to make it next week. will you be there next week?my luck trying to get down the 1/4 mile has been bad.what was your 1/8 mile?

vbguy01

Established Member
Originally posted by elmo0244
what time did close last night? i was kinda close to it last night around 10:00 and wasn't going to go because i thought it was to late.but i was messing around with a white lighting that had some number's on the back.did you see it there?i'm going to try to make it next week. will you be there next week?my luck trying to get down the 1/4 mile has been bad.what was your 1/8 mile?

I made my last run just after 10pm. There were about 25 rows of cars behind me so they prolly went until 1030. I think they stopped letting people get in line aaround 10. I'm not planning on heading out again until it cools off. It is supposed to be getting hot again next week. Maybe I'll head out again in October. But who knows for sure. I need to buy a helmet and maybe fiddle around with the car a little. I did see a white Lightning there, I didn't see his run though (nor the procharged 03). My 1/8- 8.3 @ 84.6

speedtigger

Established Member
Originally posted by BEATNGU
get that 60" to a 1.8, you will be looking at a 12.5, possably a 12.4.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
interesting quote

cut 2 tenths out of your 60 ' and pick up 3 to 4 tenths:??:

sorry couldn't resist:burn:

rust0r

Established Member
Originally posted by speedtigger
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
interesting quote

cut 2 tenths out of your 60 ' and pick up 3 to 4 tenths:??:

sorry couldn't resist:burn:

it does make sense, if you come out the hole quicker you'll be able to run some faster ET's (even if your 60ft is only better by .1 or .2 you might be able to shave down the 1/4 a few more 1/10 like he said) or atleast thats my understanding of it :beer:

speedtigger

Established Member
Alot of people theorize on this site (and all the others) and that's cool i guess-we all do as part of the procees of modding.
But then there is experience. and the fact is unless you spin past the 60' there is just the mathematical difference. if you are in a really fast car(10's or better)and you normally dead hook and you spin badly you might lose another 5 hundreths due to the loss of speed at the end of the 60'.
but the reality is, in most of our cars, a spin or bog is just 60' math.
that comes from 10 years of nhra racing.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread