Buyer Beware! Anyone Purchasing a Home. Learn From my mistake. Long Read

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
Post their info.... SVTP will take care of them! BAhahahah

Edit: Not laughing at you, that's bullshit and they are truly bad people. Hope you make the right choices for you and your family, sometimes it's best to just cut the loss and move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
Sorry bro, this is ridculous. Im sure you did everything you could but did you get a disclosure agreement? I would try and sue the pool company they were aware of this problem and let it go. Now they should fix it and make it right. Is this a big ppooll company? The homeowner is an ass either way but I had a situation when I replaced my a/c at my house, I got a call a year later from the city wanting to inspect because the company never got the final release and I wasnt aware of it.
The pool company has up to a year to get the final inspection done. The pool was 8 months old when we took ownership. Sellers just assumed the pool had passed inspection and never notified the pool builder that they were selling. They tried to go after the pool company when we first notified them of this situation. Since the pool company was not contracted to build the pool fence (the owners opted to do it themselves and the pool company has documentation of this) they are not responsible for bringing the pool up to code. Everything the pool company was contracted to do passed inspection.

04Cobra23

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Sorry just re-read your post.. Getting late :) So you have this in writing that the previous homeowners will take care of the fence and the judge just brushed it away?! On a side not $9000.00 seemd a bit high for just a fence around the pool. Are you handy? Shoot it will probably cost you 2-3k in materials to build the fence. Have you thought of doing it yourself to get the final inspection?

juliet2kg

Established Member
Some bullshit happened to my sister when she bought a house too.
Bought it from a relative, agreed to some closing cost reimbursement not in the contract, the relative moved to Maine, changed all information, phone #, etc. She thought about pursuing legal action, but it would cost her more than it was worth. She never saw her $1200.

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
Sorry just re-read your post.. Getting late :) So you have this in writing that the previous homeowners will take care of the fence and the judge just brushed it away?! On a side not $9000.00 seemd a bit high for just a fence around the pool. Are you handy? Shoot it will probably cost you 2-3k in materials to build the fence. Have you thought of doing it yourself to get the final inspection?
Didn't care what I had in writing from the seller's because it was after the sales contract was signed. anything after the fact was irrelevant aside from another contract. $9000 was for a fence company to do it. Black aluminum wrought iron. 300 feet with 2 gates. My plan was to do it myself. I just needed an estimate for the trial.

musclefan21

Established Member
wow! this is sad. what is your next step! I really really hope you somehow take them to bigger district court and you will be the one who is laughing. keep us updated if you plan on taking the next step!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
It makes me mad when I read the law getting twisted like this when its clear the other side admitted fault. People not living up to their word sucks....anyways keep talking to that lawyer and a few others for an opinion on your situation....don't give up just yet

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
that sucks to read all this man....I have been in the market my self lately looking and really am being very cautious because of price range. It on the lower side which I am dealing with most houses that need work. I have been at it now for around 8 months and feel as if it's becoming a lost cause. Already paid for 2 home inspections and an appraisal totaling around $1500 and have nothing to show for it. Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue next....and like others have said above me, karma is a b****!!!

ff500

Established Member
Were the first 2 violations taking care of by the pool company? I second the idea of installing something around the perimeter of the pool yourself, whatever you do alarm the fence or put a motion alarm in the water I have a friend who lost his 4 year old daughter in a pool accident.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Send their info to Common and Txaloo the will ruin their lives! lol That does suck man sorry.
I know you're being sarcastic, but OP, do not do this. Something like this happens and they will automatically think you are to blame and then you have an even bigger headache on your hands.

Talk to numerous different lawyers (not just one) about this and see if it is even worth pursuing. Otherwise, try to move on from it. Your experience has definitely taught me a lesson, though.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Buying house is the same a buying used car. I looked at a lot of homes and some of the things people thought they were hiding was amazing. Sorry to hear you are out a fence and fees but it could be worse.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Thanks. It gets harder everyday to keep doing the right thing when you see the opposite get rewarded

This shit makes me sick... The sellers must feel really good about themselves.

I hope karma comes in the form of a bus to the face for them. Sorry to hear that the good guy lost. I'll remember this for when I purchase my first home.

+65,000

Red Devil. It cost you money, you lost sleep over the stress, but know this:

Stand tall, you did the right thing every step of the way. Legally, AND morally.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Its time to find a lawyer that is capable of launching a strong case in order to recover all of your lost money, time, and hardship. I would begin by suing anyone involved in the purchase of the house and construction of the pool (seems like the real estate company knew - hence the rushing of the purchase). In most states a written agreement/acknowledgment is legal binding and in itself a contract. I would not back away from this. As most have said Karma is a bitch... Karma will bite them in the ass with the next trial.

ff500

Established Member
Its time to find a lawyer that is capable of launching a strong case in order to recover all of your lost money, time, and hardship. I would begin by suing anyone involved in the purchase of the house and construction of the pool (seems like the real estate company knew - hence the rushing of the purchase). In most states a written agreement/acknowledgment is legal binding and in itself a contract. I would not back away from this. As most have said Karma is a bitch... Karma will bite them in the ass with the next trial.

Interesting strategy, I agree with it.

04Cobra23

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Didn't care what I had in writing from the seller's because it was after the sales contract was signed. anything after the fact was irrelevant aside from another contract. $9000 was for a fence company to do it. Black aluminum wrought iron. 300 feet with 2 gates. My plan was to do it myself. I just needed an estimate for the trial.

Gotcha.. That is a good amount of fence to be installed.. Anyway, have you tried the avenue of suing the home inspector? Also the title company? they should have found out that the pool had not passed final inspection and there is an open permit on the house. I will talk to a few people I know tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread