Buyer Beware! Anyone Purchasing a Home. Learn From my mistake. Long Read

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I will never, ever move or buy another house. We bought our 1st and last hopefully. We bought this one due to the price and amount of land. The land is fine, the house looked fine. They had 2 young daughters, which led to them childproofing every door, cabinet, wall outlet, and they couldn't paint for crap. I noticed the whole house basically had one coat of paint on the walls, couldn't tell with furniture in it. They didn't paint inside of the closets, couldn't see with clothes and junk in them. My favorite, they had to repair a place in the kitchen by the refrigerator and remove the laminate flooring. They done it with a skillsaw and then use some strips to cover the cut marks, which happen to look like they were put there to keep the brats from moving a computer chair from the desk area. I found that one the hard way when we ripped out the work area. The laminate was discontinued so we had to carpet the bedroom to get the laminate out of it to fix the kitchen. The idiot also couldn't hit a stud with a screw. They had several screws in the walls of the garage drywall [but not into a stud] to hang stuff on. Again, couldn't see all of this due to junk in the way. I will never buy any house while someone is still in it. The house is decent all in all but, I should have offered less and made them hire some professional painters to go over it. My next move better be a casket and burial plot, cause this one is still working me over.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Hate to say it, but you know you're right, but you'll end up spending more than $9000 if you keep going.

Drop it, drain the pool until you can get the fence up... Lesson learned the hard way..

Just sucks when you know you're right and did everything by the books :fm:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I will never, ever move or buy another house. We bought our 1st and last hopefully. We bought this one due to the price and amount of land. The land is fine, the house looked fine. They had 2 young daughters, which led to them childproofing every door, cabinet, wall outlet, and they couldn't paint for crap. I noticed the whole house basically had one coat of paint on the walls, couldn't tell with furniture in it. They didn't paint inside of the closets, couldn't see with clothes and junk in them. My favorite, they had to repair a place in the kitchen by the refrigerator and remove the laminate flooring. They done it with a skillsaw and then use some strips to cover the cut marks, which happen to look like they were put there to keep the brats from moving a computer chair from the desk area. I found that one the hard way when we ripped out the work area. The laminate was discontinued so we had to carpet the bedroom to get the laminate out of it to fix the kitchen. The idiot also couldn't hit a stud with a screw. They had several screws in the walls of the garage drywall [but not into a stud] to hang stuff on. Again, couldn't see all of this due to junk in the way. I will never buy any house while someone is still in it. The house is decent all in all but, I should have offered less and made them hire some professional painters to go over it. My next move better be a casket and burial plot, cause this one is still working me over.

It's called builder paint. Don't act a fool like you never have to paint a house again. I bought a house in 2003, it was built in 1999. I painted everything, walls, ceilings, everything. I also finished the drywall in the garage and painted it. Builder paint is crap so don't think you were screwed. And it's a 2500 sq ft house without the walkout basement.

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
Gotcha.. That is a good amount of fence to be installed.. Anyway, have you tried the avenue of suing the home inspector? Also the title company? they should have found out that the pool had not passed final inspection and there is an open permit on the house. I will talk to a few people I know tomorrow and see what they suggest.
With a home inspector, you can usually only get back the price of the home inspection. I'd be suing myself if I sued the title company (my wife works there). Anyway, it's the real estate company that would be responsible for checking permits, not the title company. If you find anything out, Please let me know. Thanks again, Guys!

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
It wasn't bought from a builder, the previous owner didn't paint after the builder, hell I'm wondering if the builder even painted. I feel for you on the size of your house too. I think ours is 1723sq ft plus the tight 2 car garage. I just never remembered all of the nanny gadgets on the cabinets and things when I was little. You got your hand slapped or learned the hard way. The kids used the gagage for a play area and the owner parked outside.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Holy crap Matt!

I'm really sorry to hear about this but at least you still have a kick ass house in a great neighborhood with a pool. Ladder golf anyday my friend

matted2thefloor

Established Member
DAMN, I am sorry to hear all of that. I would be so livid with the seller! It takes simple logic to deduce that YOU'RE in the right place by making this case. The judge must have been a tool. Just keep being the good person you are, this will turn around.

Karma is the key word here! Asshole people eventually get what they deserve. And when it happens...they will be wondering... "what did I do to deserve this?"

In this world, you just have to be a little selfish to succeed. -JasonSnake

Well said...you can't trust anyone anymore! Trust your instincts and do what YOU know is right...which obviously you have! I would pursue this as far as I could and knock their legs out from under them (figuratively!!!)...just don't do anything out of haste/anger!!!

hhmmmmmmmm.........where in SC did they buy this house?

Exactly what I was thinking...I'm in SC too!!!

I can't understand how a JUDGE (so called) can rule in their favor when they were admittedly in the wrong!!! WTF is wrong with the justice system?

G/L...stay positive and optimistic. I'm sure it will work out one way or the other.

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
Got a call from my lawyer yesterday(Friday). He received a letter from the sellers lawyer stating we had until close of business this coming Monday to pay the $2700 in legal fees or he would pursue the interest allowed. My lawyer was furious because their lawyer could have easily faxed him this letter on tuesday so we would've had the rest of the week to figure out what to do. Instead, he mailed it knowing full well my lawyer wouldn't get it until the end of business on friday, giving us no time to act. Apparently winning the judgment just wasn't enough for this guy. I'm at my wits end.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
thank you for sharing, im looking to buy a house and this story will absolutely help. BTW, does this include getting permits/passing inspection for hot tubes/jacuzzi's?

04Cobra23

Twin Screwed
Established Member
So I am assuming that the previous owners told the pool company that they would take care of the fence in order for it to pass inspection? So the previous owner had to be aware that it did not pass inspection. That should of been in a disclosure statement.. I am sure you got some sort of disclosure statement right?

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
So I am assuming that the previous owners told the pool company that they would take care of the fence in order for it to pass inspection? So the previous owner had to be aware that it did not pass inspection. That should of been in a disclosure statement.. I am sure you got some sort of disclosure statement right?

Didn't find out the pool hadn't passed inspection until after we purchased the house and went to transfer the pool warranty. The sellers found out after we contacted them. That's when they admitted responsibility. If we had known before we signed/closed on the house, we would have made an addition to the contract.

venmos1

Established Member
wouldnt the selling real estate company require the sellers to have this inspection completed prior to sale? like as a contingency? for the new pool warranty to even exist shouldnt it need to pass inspection? seems like something should have been completed with a sale like this. would the home warranty cover anything? good luck

coolguy10786

Established Member
Sorry to hear. I definitely will take what you posted into consideration when it comes time to buy a house.

Best of luck to you and stay strong. Hopefully, things will work out.

04Cobra23

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Didn't find out the pool hadn't passed inspection until after we purchased the house and went to transfer the pool warranty. The sellers found out after we contacted them. That's when they admitted responsibility. If we had known before we signed/closed on the house, we would have made an addition to the contract.

Ok.. The pool did not pass inspection because of the fence (amoung a couple of other things that the pool company fixed). Someone had to know that a fence needed to be brought up to code in order for the inspection to pass. The pool company HAS to know this, and I am sure they informed the homeowner about the need to upgrade the fence. Sounds to me like the homeowner is playing stupid and thought the fence deal would only cost a couple of thousand if that and this is why they told you they will take care of it once they found out home much it really cost they backed out. I would bet that they knew this fence would not pass inspection. Who pulled the permit? Pool company or homeowner? whom ever did has to know what needed to be done in order to pass.

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
Ok.. The pool did not pass inspection because of the fence (amoung a couple of other things that the pool company fixed). Someone had to know that a fence needed to be brought up to code in order for the inspection to pass. The pool company HAS to know this, and I am sure they informed the homeowner about the need to upgrade the fence. Sounds to me like the homeowner is playing stupid and thought the fence deal would only cost a couple of thousand if that and this is why they told you they will take care of it once they found out home much it really cost they backed out. I would bet that they knew this fence would not pass inspection. Who pulled the permit? Pool company or homeowner? whom ever did has to know what needed to be done in order to pass.
No permit got pulled. After we took ownership of the house, the sellers told us to contact the pool company to transfer the pool warranty into our name. The pool company said, this pool hasn't passed inspection yet(pool company is responsible to get pool inspected and has a year to do this. pool was 8 months old when we bought the house) Pool company had the county come out to inspect it. It failed on a few things and the ones that the pool company were responsible for, they had taken care of. The sellers had opted to build a pool fence on their own and not have the pool builder build it. So, the seller was responsible for the pool fence. Hope that makes sense.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'm thinking when I send the check, I'm also including a tube of 80spf sun screen and a note:
Hell's pretty hot
You're gonna need this

what the hell you sending a check for? send it all in pennies via UPS. put the pennies in those big water bottles .. Talk to your lawyer about what happens if he refuses payment.

Users who are viewing this thread