Buying 04 Cobra

metroplex

Established Member
For those who own '04 Cobras... any comments on the vehicle?

Any problems? Easy bolt-ons that you would recommend from the get-go?

Any tips on what to look for at the stealership?

I've asked the local dealership to do a search for a black 04 Coupe (no dark blue) :fm:

This will be a weekend driver/drag race car only. No winter/daily driving for this car.

My other car would be a ~300 hp N/A Crown Vic.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Welcome to the Cobra community. They dont make a blue cobra this year, so you should be ok for getting black and not navy blue. Have fun with it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The car isn't perfect but is well worth the money in my opinion. Mine is 13 months old now. No real complaints. Most first mods include CAI, catback and shifter. It pretty much never stops. LOL!

metroplex

Established Member
My other choices would be:
2004 Mach 1 factory ordered
Subaru WRX STi
Pontiac GTO

It looks like the STi is in the same ET range as the 04 Cobra, but it's a Japanese car.

What kind of problems are there with the 04 Cobra?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Any reason you want an '04 over an '03? If price is important, you'll get a much better deal right now on a leftover '03 than you will on an '04. There are no significant mechanical differences between the two. You can probably pick up an '03 for close to $6K off MSRP right now. A dealer by me has a black '03 10th Anniversary Coupe that I'm sure they will deal on.

Are you metroplex from CVN? I used to read that board a lot...but haven't read it much since I got a Cobra :-D

-Greg

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
You could possibly find a left over sonic blue 03 coupe if you wanted and, like above, it will be MUCH cheaper than an 04. The cars are the same except for exterior color choice changes and some TSB inclusions on the 04s. Just make sure the 03 is a second run model built after nov. of 2002.

Also, just because the mags say the STi is close in ET, doesn't mean it is so. Those guys can't drive and the AWD STi is much easier to launch for good times as compared to the Cobra with it judicious torque. Cobras spank STis all day long in the real world and are cheaper to mod with bigger gains.

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
1CEBITN, why would you want one built after nov. of 2002? Is it because those were better, say didnt have as much of the "tick" or other problems? let me know all info cause im in the market for an 03 cobra right now and dont want any problems! PM me

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
According to Ford, the cars built after 11/02 used revised heads (the same as on the 04) to fix the tick. If you do buy an 03, make sure they apply the latest flash to it before you take delivery as well so you don't have to deal with the stall either. That is under SSM 17542 if they can't find it. Good luck!

mmartin 6

Established Member
As far as the dealer, I wouldn't settle for anything less than x-plan ($33.4K on a coupe) and start from there.

For bolt-ons, I just put on Borla cat-back, K&N FPIK, and Billetflow throttle body. This took all of two hours and about $1,400. My 03 Redfire has risen to a different level. If I turn the radio off, I can hear the blast from the Stingers, the springlike whine of the SC, and the air rushing through the CAI at the same time while I'm on the throttle. It's pretty wild.

Oh, the dealer also contacted their Ford engineer who put in writing that these mods will not void the warranty. He did write, however, "no pullies or chips". I said, no probelemo, it will give me something to look forward to.

I say go for it. I couldn't be happier.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by mmartin6

For bolt-ons, I just put on Borla cat-back, K&N FPIK, and Billetflow throttle body. This took all of two hours and about $1,400. My 03 Redfire has risen to a different level. If I turn the radio off, I can hear the blast from the Stingers, the springlike whine of the SC, and the air rushing through the CAI at the same time while I'm on the throttle. It's pretty wild.

Oh, the dealer also contacted their Ford engineer who put in writing that these mods will not void the warranty. He did write, however, "no pullies or chips". I said, no probelemo, it will give me something to look forward to.

How did you manage that? I was glancing through the warranty guide & it said something about modifications & names exhaust and air intake as possibly voiding your wannanty.

Now I think that is bogus, but compared to my '01's warranty guide the only thing it said would void warranty was a subercharger, turbocharger, or nitrous. I think it said to just install these items it would flat out void it. The new one says it may void it.

Do you think this is something I should try to ask for? I already have a good relationship with a service writer at the dealer's service dept. He was cool with my mods on my '01 & I'm not gonna do that much on the '04. Just a CAI, & exhaust, maybe subframes welding in.

metroplex

Established Member
Greg: yep! I'm Metroplex from CVN, been doing some mods to my Vic lately. I'll be close to 300 crank hp after I'm through... it'd be my daily driver.

nuxx

Established Member
GTO = Too big, plus you arleady have a Crown Vic.

Mach 1 = Fun, not too much potential, mainly drag reasons with no IRS and auto. (Cheap too)

STi = Fun Fun little car. I drove my friend's black STi back from Houston and it moves pretty well. AWD is fun too. I ran him from a slow roll and only pulled a car on him. I'm bone bone stock, and he had testpipe (catless) and no catback. He also destroyed my friend's 2.80, etc... 03 Cobra from a stop. hehe I like it, just not for me.

03/04 Cobra = If you don't need to have a new for 04 color (Mystichrome, Comp. Orange, Screaming Yellow). Get an 03. You can have them for much less than an 04, with no difference, minus the seat color. Mabye even get a 03 10th. I loved my torch red 10th Anv., but didn't want to get another, and the Mystichrome was just too nice to pass up.
-Peter

metroplex

Established Member
I asked the local SVT place to do a search on the 03.

I'd like a dark blue (I only see Sonic Blue) or black... I'm not really into the new 04 colors so I guess a 03 Coupe is what I'm looking for? What kind of price is reasonable for a 03 Coupe at this point? $30k?

I don't have the A/X/B plan.

mmartin 6

Established Member
Originally posted by whitesnake2001
How did you manage that? I was glancing through the warranty guide & it said something about modifications & names exhaust and air intake as possibly voiding your wannanty.

Now I think that is bogus, but compared to my '01's warranty guide the only thing it said would void warranty was a subercharger, turbocharger, or nitrous. I think it said to just install these items it would flat out void it. The new one says it may void it.

Do you think this is something I should try to ask for? I already have a good relationship with a service writer at the dealer's service dept. He was cool with my mods on my '01 & I'm not gonna do that much on the '04. Just a CAI, & exhaust, maybe subframes welding in.

They faxed me copy of the OASIS report and wrote in that these bolt-ons "should be OK". I know that this could be open to interpretation, but I was happy to have that response. I would ask for it, what do you have to lose.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Some are getting them for $28,500 now. The '03s need to be moved by dealers badly, so you should get a smokin' deal if there's any Sonic Blue still out there.

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Gee-
Do ya think my warranty would be voided
if I got work done at my dealer. (LOL)
Oh wait a minute,that's right I just remembered
I would never get any work done at my Ford dealer.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by whitesnake2001
'03 has it, '04 don't.
But the car is still the same price. :dw: The $1,000 tax vanished off of the window sticker as a separate line item...but mysteriously worked its way in to the base price of the car. :bash:

Gotta give the beancounters at Ford an A for effort! :burn:

-Greg

Users who are viewing this thread