Buying a 2012 GT500 - Fill me in

NuclearPower

Established Member
2012 with SVTPP here and I also get plenty of wheel hop on hard launch. I have Bobs LCA and BMR UCA waiting to go in. I hope this plants the rear a little more. The Goodyears on the SVTPP package SUCK. I liked them at first, but they quickly got slicky not sticky...

Welcome back and beat her wild!:rockon:

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
I feel like family here. I had a 03 cobra and loved it except it was uncomfortable for my 6'3" height. The 2011 GT500 is nice and comfy. Ford finally got it right. I have some wheel hop on cold days with stock power.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thanks for all the input on the wheelhop guys, guess I will expect some out of the box on hard launches. Sok though, I'll switch over to DR's as soon as I kill the stock tires. One of the benefits of living in NorCal is I don't have to worry about real rain so much :)

I go pick it up at noon tomorrow, and I can't wait :)

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Picked it up yesterday, here's the pics as promised:

UKat3l.jpg

ygOdwl.jpg

EvDcXl.jpg

ledDll.jpg

ocJ3ul.jpg

Album:
GT500 - Imgur

Drove it 200 miles yesterday, and I am loving it. Definitely ordering new wheels an tires today and selling these, not enough traction in the stockers. I will be writing a full review for my blog soon, though, just got to get time to collect all of my thoughts. :beer:

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Oh sweet! Post up pics of that too. I just ordered the blend mount for mine but, I'd be interested in something more stealth. I have a 9500ix.

I was going to buy wheels/tires like you have there from someone but, decided to hold off for now....I think they look pretty good though! Maybe I'll go back to that person and buy them! Just makes the car look mean! I'd like to have Alcoa's but, I ain't paying $4k plus for them right now...LOL!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Oh sweet! Post up pics of that too. I just ordered the blend mount for mine but, I'd be interested in something more stealth. I have a 9500ix.

I was going to buy wheels/tires like you have there from someone but, decided to hold off for now....I think they look pretty good though! Maybe I'll go back to that person and buy them! Just makes the car look mean! I'd like to have Alcoa's but, I ain't paying $4k plus for them right now...LOL!

I'll post pics of the detector once it's mounted. The SVTPP wheels look way better in person, IMHO, but they just aren't wide enough for my taste. I'm going to get the Steeda Spyders because those are the only reasonably priced wheels I can find in 20x11. I'll definitely post pics when I get them on. :beer:

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
Nice ride it looks familure! :D Also I got rid of my 04 cobra for the GT500, there really is no comparison, the Shelby is superior.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Nice car...congrats! :rockon:

Thanks man :beer:

Nice ride it looks familure! :D Also I got rid of my 04 cobra for the GT500, there really is no comparison, the Shelby is superior.

I agree, at least so far. :) I've been VERY impressed by the Shelby, it's a much more refined and higher quality car than any I've owned in the past, including the Cobra, GTO, and C5.

Congrats! Same color and spec as mine. I agree, the SVTPP wheels look way better in person. Enjoy!

Colin

Yea, but I've already ordered new wheels and tires, LOL. The car just doesn't hook with the stockers.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Congrats on the beautiful car! Now you need to pave your driveway. Having a black car on that dirt driveway would drive me insane cuz the car would never be clean.

BigDan

Established Member
No chance of wheel hop on a 2012 PP. Ford fix that that problem in 2011 and also gave it sticky F1 G2 rubber that was delivering 1.9 second sixty foots my first time out with the car.

I haven't experienced even 1 second of wheel hop on my 2011 and that's even after testing 3 sets of tires for 12k miles.

Last edited:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
No chance of wheel hop on a 2012 PP. Ford fix that that problem in 2011 and also gave it sticky F1 G2 rubber that was delivering 1.9 second sixty foots my first time out with the car.

I haven't experienced even 1 second of wheel hop on my 2011 and that's even after testing 3 sets of tires for 12k miles.

Well, now that I've had the car a bit, I can say that it does have minor wheelhop stock. Nothing like an 03 Cobra, but when the tires are cold I can get it to bounce a bit if I get into the throttle in first. More like a hard vibration than hop like a bunny, but it's still wheel hop.

As for the F1's, the compound is definitely sticky, it's always picking up pebbles and shit, but I think the sidewalls are just too hard because it doesn't hook at anywhere near WOT in first and will spontaneously break loose at about 4K RPM in second. At least I know the TC will let it get sideways pretty readily, though :dancenana:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Being able to go wot in 1st is asking a little too much there.. ha. On street tires, I never once went wot in 1st or 2nd gear in my pulled Cobra without wheelspin. That's street tires for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread