Buying a 2012 GT500 - Fill me in

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
Great thread here. I already own a 2012 with SVTPP and I can say pretty much no wheel hop with stock power and stock tires. But the tires are slippery when cold. Once they get hot I am impressed and feel much more confident.

I also sold my 750hp 03 cobra vert for this, I miss that car because of all the work I did but this Shelby is in a whole different league.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Valentine One Mount

I got the V1 mounted and the concealed display installed, along with getting the wires hidden professionally this weekend. Here's some pics:

RDwfGl.jpg

CzIvVl.jpg

qcwyLl.jpg

4JYMpl.jpg

redline

Established Member
well the first i think is ,gm will not test the zl1 against it . gm only manages to test against the boss302.:read:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thats what I run but I don't try and hit it in 1st gear:nonono:
2nd gear shift has to be easy (I have no grind) or else it will be:burnout:

with just a pulley and tune it was love love

Really? That's kind of depressing. Reading the thread on the R888's here, there were guys with pulley/tune saying that their R888's would not spin at their power level, so that's what I was hoping for. Everyone was saying the R888's were stickier than 555R's and NT05R's. Since 555R's on my old 03 (with about 40 less RWHP) stuck pretty good even in first, I was kind of expecting these to hook well...

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
She's beautiful!!! I just picked up a 2012 myself. I also had an 03 terminator 10th anniversary, unfortunately a bi**H in a van hit me on the highway and it was totaled. Personally I like the GT500 more.

let me know what mods you go with!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
She's beautiful!!! I just picked up a 2012 myself. I also had an 03 terminator 10th anniversary, unfortunately a bi**H in a van hit me on the highway and it was totaled. Personally I like the GT500 more.

let me know what mods you go with!

Thanks man. Almost the same story here. Had an 03, and almost 10 years ago now I managed to wedge it up under a semi trailer. In the GT500 now, and I like it so much better. Such a well put together car, comparatively, and over 500 RWHP from the factory!

Only mods I've done so far are V1, A tom-tom with tripmaster for a ghetto HUD, and painting the cobra eyes red (GREAT mod, BTW). However, the Steeda wheels are sitting in my living room right now, and the tires are on the way, so those are next :)

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
How are you liking the 1-2 shift? Considering a shifter replacement or not having any problems?

So far, the 1-2 has been a bit balky, but I've only had it grind a handful of times. I'm getting the new wheels and tires put on this weekend, and should be able to take it to the track within the next month. The track will be the real test. However, from everything I have read, a new shifter just masks the problem. Besides, I am going to make Ford fix it if at all possible, so it's staying stock until the issue is resolved.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
I have come to honestly believe that the real reason this happens is from the ratio from 1st gear to 2nd gear is just too large and the synchros can not keep up. this was by design from Ford and we just have to shift slower.

I do think that an aftermarket shifter makes the movement more direct which will make it appear that it changes faster allowing less grinding.

But replacing all the parts with the same parts I don't believe will solve it.

I am envisioning that in 4-7 years from now, if you are a true drag racer then you will swap out the transmission (at least the gearing).

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I have come to honestly believe that the real reason this happens is from the ratio from 1st gear to 2nd gear is just too large and the synchros can not keep up. this was by design from Ford and we just have to shift slower.

I do think that an aftermarket shifter makes the movement more direct which will make it appear that it changes faster allowing less grinding.

But replacing all the parts with the same parts I don't believe will solve it.

I am envisioning that in 4-7 years from now, if you are a true drag racer then you will swap out the transmission (at least the gearing).

Yea, I hear you, and you may be right, but I'm skeptical Supposedly, once some of the guys on some other forums talked to the Ford CS rep that visits the board and got her to increase the priority of their case, the problem got fixed. Similarly, there's a list of parts on a forum (the Shelby forum, I believe, my links are at work right now) that has been claimed to fix it.

Regardless, if I really have the problem, which remains to be seen, as long as I can get Ford to listen and try to fix it, I'm going to keep pushing for it. I'm not planning on any real mods until the warranty is gone anyhow, so it's no big deal to me.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
Yea, I hear you, and you may be right, but I'm skeptical Supposedly, once some of the guys on some other forums talked to the Ford CS rep that visits the board and got her to increase the priority of their case, the problem got fixed. Similarly, there's a list of parts on a forum (the Shelby forum, I believe, my links are at work right now) that has been claimed to fix it.

Regardless, if I really have the problem, which remains to be seen, as long as I can get Ford to listen and try to fix it, I'm going to keep pushing for it. I'm not planning on any real mods until the warranty is gone anyhow, so it's no big deal to me.

Yea I do agree, if we can get the problem fixed in anyway then of course go for it. I have seen that list of parts and I did save it, hehe in the event that I find this to be an issue for me then I would have the ammo to help them fix it if they don't know about it.

AutocrosserBob

Established Member
First mod should be an MGW shifter. That IMHO will eliminate the 2nd gear issue. Do it soon before the 2nd gear syncro's get damaged...Then...pulley. I have ZERO wheel hop in my car (before and after FRPP's suspension swap). I also did 4.10's when the car was in for rear end work already and WOW did that wake it up...6th is now useful and it is quick. [email protected] with unheated Nitto's. Dyno'd at 513whp after pulley and gears...I know seems low but the MPH is pretty good.

BigDan

Established Member
First mod should be an MGW shifter. That IMHO will eliminate the 2nd gear issue. Do it soon before the 2nd gear syncro's get damaged...Then...pulley.

+1

I have a ton of videos of me missing 1-2 at the track and then just coasting through the lights to avoid heat soak. It was a total waste of time and money before I got my MGW.....not to mention the frustration and embarrassment.

Now I can no lift shift 1-2 and I'm all :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread