Buying a dslr, need some advice

mdever12

Established Member
Hey guys, I want to get into photography. I always loved taking pictures, but the point and shoot cameras aren't really cutting it. (I know this isn't a photography website, but just want to get opinions from people who shoot subjects that I want to).

I'm looking at the Nikon d3200 ($476) and the d5200 ($696). From what I've read, the d5200 has some nicer features like 1 more fps, the fold-out screen, etc. I mainly want to take pictures of cars, my dogs, and some landscape.

My main question, is the d5200 worth the $200 more than the d3200. I understand that glass is the really important thing in photography, but i don't want to get a body that I'll out grow real soon.

PS, I'm not expecting extremely stunning pictures out of the box. I know it takes time to learn how to properly use a dslr.

Whatever advice/opinions you guys can give, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Zemedici

Established Member
I'm getting my girl the 3200 to learn with. The 3100 was the go - to introductory dslr a few years back, and still is to many. The 3200 is 10 more MP, and had a few improved features. If you look around you can get a starter kit with an upgraded memory card, a few lenses, and a carrying bag for ~$600.

I looked at the 52 too, but it seemed more involved than I would want a introductory camera to be, a steeper learning curve. I don't want my girl to be overwhelmed off the rip, so I'm sticking with the 32.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
either one is a good camera … the 3200 will do you good but you will want more pretty quickly. the 5200 will do you longer before the itch will need to get scratched.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
sold my 3000, had it for a while and bought a used D90 with a 50mm lens with 8k clicks for $405...you can get a 3k with some good glass til you're ready to upgrade. it's not all the camera, gotta factor in post processing, and skills too lol

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
buy a d7000.... i love mine and with the right lens you can take some mean pics
I love mine .. but it is beyond what he stated he wanted to spend .. as a starter camera not such a good idea.

Op one thing, the lenses are the most important part of your camera kit. if you wind up buying extra lenses go for quality not quantity since they will be usable on your upgraded camera body when you get it.

mdever12

Established Member
I'm getting my girl the 3200 to learn with. The 3100 was the go - to introductory dslr a few years back, and still is to many. The 3200 is 10 more MP, and had a few improved features. If you look around you can get a starter kit with an upgraded memory card, a few lenses, and a carrying bag for ~$600.

I looked at the 52 too, but it seemed more involved than I would want a introductory camera to be, a steeper learning curve. I don't want my girl to be overwhelmed off the rip, so I'm sticking with the 32.
Makes a lot of sense, thanks!
either one is a good camera … the 3200 will do you good but you will want more pretty quickly. the 5200 will do you longer before the itch will need to get scratched.
That's what I've been thinking/reading. I don't want to buy the 3200, and in a couple months, already want a new body. On the contrary, I don't want to get the 5200 and be over my head either...
sold my 3000, had it for a while and bought a used D90 with a 50mm lens with 8k clicks for $405...you can get a 3k with some good glass til you're ready to upgrade. it's not all the camera, gotta factor in post processing, and skills too lol
Definitely, with either camera I'd stick with the stock lens for a while till I'm more comfortable with the camera. Then I'd probably pick up the 70-300 VR lens. What processing software would you recommend?
buy a d7000.... i love mine and with the right lens you can take some mean pics
Probably will step up to the D7xxx line eventually, but I want to learn around a "friendlier" camera.
Would you choose the t5i over the 5200 and 3200? If so, why?
I love mine .. but it is beyond what he stated he wanted to spend .. as a starter camera not such a good idea.

Op one thing, the lenses are the most important part of your camera kit. if you wind up buying extra lenses go for quality not quantity since they will be usable on your upgraded camera body when you get it.
Yea, like I said above, I just want to get started with the stock lens, and then down the road pick up the 70-300 VR lens.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
The 5200 is going to produce just a LITTLE bit better of quality than the 3200. I think really you just need to put them side by side and compare the differences and determine if the extras are going to be worth the extra money. If you plan on upgrading it in the future for something better then I would just go with the 3200. It will have EVERYTHING you need to learn how to shoot and learn photography. Take my advice with a grain of salt because I am not that experienced but that is my opinion.

dom418

Established Member
Which ever you decide...canon or nikon...they lens is key. I'm not a fan of the cheap kit lenses. Also really practice on manual mode because if you just shoot in full auto, your photos will look like they were taken with a iPhone. I can't stress enough how important quality lenses are. You can always upgrade your camera body, but the lenses stay with you as you upgrade.

02TrueBlueGT

Established Member
I have a Canon T3. Good camera for a starter in my opinion. I bought a bundle of stuff from a vendor on eBay for a really good price when T3s were new. Love the camera and use in AP mode 95% of the time. I dabble with manual once in awhile.

rjs281

Established Member
If you really want to do this as a hobby that you well stick with, get the better camera. You well be in over your head with both at first. If you stick with it you well be wishing you got the better camera down the road. When the lesser camera's burst mode isn't enough or something like that. If money is an issue then get the cheaper one. This is not a cheap hobby no matter which one you get.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I have had 3 Nikons and now moved on to a Canon. They are all entry level, and I enjoy the canon much more. I now have a T3i, with the kit lens, 55-200 and a 10-22 wide angle. I couldn't go without the flip out screen.

mdever12

Established Member
The 5200 is going to produce just a LITTLE bit better of quality than the 3200. I think really you just need to put them side by side and compare the differences and determine if the extras are going to be worth the extra money. If you plan on upgrading it in the future for something better then I would just go with the 3200. It will have EVERYTHING you need to learn how to shoot and learn photography. Take my advice with a grain of salt because I am not that experienced but that is my opinion.
Yea I'm gonna run up to best buy today and compare them.
Which ever you decide...canon or nikon...they lens is key. I'm not a fan of the cheap kit lenses. Also really practice on manual mode because if you just shoot in full auto, your photos will look like they were taken with a iPhone. I can't stress enough how important quality lenses are. You can always upgrade your camera body, but the lenses stay with you as you upgrade.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely will buy some nicer glass after I get comfortable with the camera in manual.
I have a Canon T3. Good camera for a starter in my opinion. I bought a bundle of stuff from a vendor on eBay for a really good price when T3s were new. Love the camera and use in AP mode 95% of the time. I dabble with manual once in awhile.
I'll look into it, thanks.
Lens kits aren't THAT bad. Not for someone who is shooting for fun and to learn. It ALL comes down to the person taking the picture and how well they can do it.

If you really want to do this as a hobby that you well stick with, get the better camera. You well be in over your head with both at first. If you stick with it you well be wishing you got the better camera down the road. When the lesser camera's burst mode isn't enough or something like that. If money is an issue then get the cheaper one. This is not a cheap hobby no matter which one you get.
Yea it's not. I definitely am not buying the camera so it can sit on the shelf
I have had 3 Nikons and now moved on to a Canon. They are all entry level, and I enjoy the canon much more. I now have a T3i, with the kit lens, 55-200 and a 10-22 wide angle. I couldn't go without the flip out screen.
That's why I'm looking at the 5200. It seems people really like the flip out screen.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I've had a canon t3i with the flip screen used it for bit sold it. The poor higher ISO quality at night time did it for me

I went to a nikon d7000. And it has 2 separate dials one for f stop other for shutter now holding this button and turning dial.. I need to change settings fast d7000 where it's at.

If I were buying a new camera for a first it would be the d5200 better ISO and more room to grow.

Buy a better lens and learn with it.

mdever12

Established Member
I've had a canon t3i with the flip screen used it for bit sold it. The poor higher ISO quality at night time did it for me

I went to a nikon d7000. And it has 2 separate dials one for f stop other for shutter now holding this button and turning dial.. I need to change settings fast d7000 where it's at.

If I were buying a new camera for a first it would be the d5200 better ISO and more room to grow.

Buy a better lens and learn with it.
I'm leaning towards the 5200. I just swapped a TVS into my 03, so I'm going to wait to spend more money on a lens, but which one would you suggest?

ALSO, what are you guys using to process your photos?

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I'm leaning towards the 5200. I just swapped a TVS into my 03, so I'm going to wait to spend more money on a lens, but which one would you suggest?

ALSO, what are you guys using to process your photos?

Adobe Lightroom.

I just signed up for the Adobe Cloud services. Usually I would just get my software for "Free" but at one point or another you always hit snag if it isn't registered so I just went legit. Maybe it's just with age. Anyways, I pay $9.99 a month for the service and you get Photoshop and Lightroom.

Users who are viewing this thread