Buying a High Mileage Lightning

VasiliBrown

Established Member
I am looking at a 1999 ford lightning. It has a salvage title and 200,000 miles. All the work was done correctly to repair the car. Just a bent fender. The miles is what is scaring me the most. What should I look for? Does the supercharger go bad by then? I'm usually buying old cars so miles dont matter but this will be my first car that is newe than 1978 haha. I'm just in some unfamiliar territory

Hard Driver

Price is everything. The salvage title makes it pretty much worthless to a collector ... Doesn't much matter what the damage was. Salvage title due to flood damage (i.e. Katrina) - don't touch it at any price.
If you're confident in it's current mechanical condition, just looking for a daily driver and aren't worried about resale in the future, you won't have many more issues than any other hot rod. The supercharger is just another component that will eventually wear out and/or break. It's much more likely that there will be gearbox issues.
In 200k miles, you know this rig has been run hard, if not outright hammered on.
... I've got an '04 with a little over 59k on her and lemme tell you, these trucks beg to be let loose.
The only actual component failure I've had so far is the 6 disc CD changer stopped working. Everything else has been regular maintenance - belts, hoses and of course, tires!
I love my Lightning!

4a7191a

Established Member
200,000 miles... Unless it's dirt cheap and you get a good shop to really look her over I'd stead clear. That's a lot of miles for a lightning. They are tough trucks and reliable but with those miles I would lay money on the fact she's had a hard life .

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
The mileage alone wouldn't scare me; these trucks are really stout and should go well-past 200k with maintenance. Only things to watch out for with the '99's would be the intercooler, which was updated for potential leaks. The salvage title wouldn't be a huge deal provided it was fixed right, you can get it cheap enough, and you don't expect to make huge money when you sell it.

flip_86

Established Member
Depending on how cheap you can get it it may be something to consider, because a lot of lightning owners have replaced (or rebuilt with better components) most of the driveline to upgrade. If you're planning on buying it just to cruise i might second guess,if you're gonna mod it and the price is right, might not be a bad deal.

fordmanforever

Venomous
Established Member
??? Similar Situation.

Was using the search bar and this is the newest thread I could find that was close to trying to find a answer. I see the OP never said what he paid for his. I'm looking at a running driving White 2000 Lightning one owner with 220k but has some issues. Rust issues in some areas (I own a body shop so concerned but not that concerned still will take a while to repair) Interior is in pretty good shape. Never been wrecked. However, the spring shackle is broke on the driver side. The transmission has a leak (seal?) and that's pretty much it. What is something like this even worth or should I just walk away and you don't think its worth anything.

Dusten

Established Member
With those miles, not much. The bed and certain body parts are worth a bit. Few grand at the most. Figure to anyone buying parts, most of it needs rebuilt

fordmanforever

Venomous
Established Member
Thanks, thats kind of what I was thinking of offering. I was thinking 2000.00 when I posted this. I didn't want to be off base and insult the owner.

Users who are viewing this thread