Buying a New Laptop, Need advice!! Mainly on good/bad brands...

allister

Established Member
Hey guys! I am in the market for a new laptop and am having a really, really hard time finding what I need. I'll try to keep this quick and tell you exactly what I'm looking for

-17"+ screen (I'm a designer)
-Windows , I guess 10 (if 7 is an option, I might go with that because then I'll know for sure all my current softwares will work with it)
-4 USB Ports (critical I have 4, most seem to come with only 3)
-CD Drive (I find it annoying that a lot of them seem to not come with these now)
-Quad Core processor
-Budget upto $2500

Right now I have a Dell XPS with quad core processor. It gets the job done but it's about 5 years old, and I would like to upgrade this year to start the process of getting things transferred over. The new XPS's don't come with 17" screens and nothing else they offer seem to come with both that screen size, and 4 usb's with a cd drive.

I am not familiar with other brands, what's good and not good. I appreciate any advice/experience with other brands and any help to get me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!!!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Is it a true mobile computer or do you just design at home or your offices.

The reason I ask is I would go with a smaller notebook and hook up one or two monitors 23+ at home or office when you work. See better than the 17 screen and so lighter to lug around.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
If I were in the market, I would probably get a razer. They don't have 4 USB ports though, you can easily get a USB hub to fix that problem with any laptop.

allister

Established Member
Is it a true mobile computer or do you just design at home or your offices.

The reason I ask is I would go with a smaller notebook and hook up one or two monitors 23+ at home or office when you work. See better than the 17 screen and so lighter to lug around.

I move during the day between different work stations and travel, so doing that wouldn't be feasible in my situation although a good idea. I wish I could just get a desktop and call it a day but really have to get something close to I have now.

Been looking at the Lenovo's they might fit the bill IDK if they are good brand or not though

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to recommend the Razer Blade Pro (HD, not the uber expensive 4K version), but the Amazon reviews aren't good, especially for support.

I would Google 'best 17" business laptops 2017' and spend some time reviewing the various recommendations. Yeah, it's gonna take some time, but you'll probably end up with a laptop that you believe will best meet your needs. Just be sure to search out reviews on your short list. Amazon is good for those. CNET tends to gloss over issues that typical users might raise.

Logan@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have a XPS17, XPS15 and a SP4. We're talking thousands of dollars in laptops... guess which one I only use? SP4.
The versatility with this laptop is second to none.. I went the "fully loaded" route and it is awesome, still. I know lots of people use this laptop for design, although its a smaller screen.

allister

Established Member
I had one built to spec by Falcon Northwest and have not looked back. https://www.falcon-nw.com/
Thanks for your comment! I actually have been eyeballing the SP's for awhile now. I was thinking about getting a 17" for at home and a SP for when I travel. I talked myself out of it because I have an Ipad but I still also have to bring my computer and don't need all the USB's when traveling.

I'm really nervous about adding USB ports via docking stations. I feel like I'll run into troubles with connectivity and data transferring? IDK why but doing that makes me nervous. Plus not really ideal having a whole other device to plug in everyday.

Still learning towards the Lenovo. Anyone have any good or bad experience with them?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I move during the day between different work stations and travel, so doing that wouldn't be feasible in my situation although a good idea. I wish I could just get a desktop and call it a day but really have to get something close to I have now.

Been looking at the Lenovo's they might fit the bill IDK if they are good brand or not though

I am a pretty big fan of Lenovo. I currently have a T560 that is Work supplied to me. I run design software for machine development involving ladder logic and HMI development. It is lacking some of the things you are wanting, I can’t remember exactly all the things you wanted, but Lenovo makes some great hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread