Buying a Used Corvette SUCKS!

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I've finally decided what car I want to buy after I gave myself these choices: 03-04 Cobra, 02-03 Z06, and 05-06 Corvette. I went with the last options. Number 1 was a new Z06, but the prices haven't dropped enough for me to be willing to pay that much.

The frustration: I've been to over 5 massive dealerships around my area looking for a corvette in my price-range. Every one of these dealers has called me up telling me about a corvette that has just come in with a good price (that I would be willing to pay.) As soon as I ask for more info, they call back upon checking all the info and tell me it has already been sold. I'm not even sure how to approach buying a corvette without some pro undercutting me. I am assuming that if I see a good price, I need to jump on it without even checking it out in person. If I buy it from a dealership, all (if any) kinks can be worked out.

Is this the right strategy?

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Not at all, there are tons of Corvettes around. You might need to travel a little further, but take your time, you will always end up with a better deal if you wait for the right one.

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I agree. I might not know the corvette market but, I do know this; do not rush into a purchase. If you are patient, you will find a deal that is just right.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Use autotrader. I know with my audi I knew exactly what I was looking for. Color, manual, awd, interior. Found all the cars in the country that met my criteria, talked with the owners of the ones in great shape from pictures. Carfax etc. A week later a one way flight to atlanta and I had a great car for the price.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I've finally decided what car I want to buy after I gave myself these choices: 03-04 Cobra, 02-03 Z06, and 05-06 Corvette. I went with the last options. Number 1 was a new Z06, but the prices haven't dropped enough for me to be willing to pay that much.

The frustration: I've been to over 5 massive dealerships around my area looking for a corvette in my price-range. Every one of these dealers has called me up telling me about a corvette that has just come in with a good price (that I would be willing to pay.) As soon as I ask for more info, they call back upon checking all the info and tell me it has already been sold. I'm not even sure how to approach buying a corvette without some pro undercutting me. I am assuming that if I see a good price, I need to jump on it without even checking it out in person. If I buy it from a dealership, all (if any) kinks can be worked out.

From a stealership you're probably looking @ high 20's low 30's to start for C5Z's. I've found private sellers going as low as low 20's for used C5Z's. On the other hand I've seen Terminators go for low 20's at stealerships.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member

There is a black C6 for sale, private owner in my town. Beautiful car. Want the phone #?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member

No...sounds like they're trying to bait and switch you, Corvettes are not selling that well right now. Where in Texas are you? Every time I drive by dealerships in my area (N. Houston) they're full of Vettes. But, private seller is probably the way to go. Check out the for sale/Texas section of LS1tech, you should find a good deal there.

NinoAvila

Who's awesome....YOU ARE!
Established Member
If you've already secured financing, screw the dealerships.

Going to the dealership is like going to best buy to buy a computer. Go to autotrader or ebay. That'd be like going to newegg.com instead of best buy. You'll pay less.

Also, if you got financing in the bag, look into private sales (individuals listing their own cars). Most of the time private sale owners (that i've seen) with cobras and corvettes take good care of the car and are willing to put in the time/effort to list it.

Good luck on your choice!

-N

Last edited:

Wintermute

Banned
Use autotrader. I know with my audi I knew exactly what I was looking for. Color, manual, awd, interior. Found all the cars in the country that met my criteria, talked with the owners of the ones in great shape from pictures. Carfax etc. A week later a one way flight to atlanta and I had a great car for the price.

+1 on autotrader. Took me about a year to find the right vette at a place that wouldnt rape me for the cobra. Turned out to be a ford dealership.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
No...sounds like they're trying to bait and switch you, Corvettes are not selling that well right now. Where in Texas are you? Every time I drive by dealerships in my area (N. Houston) they're full of Vettes. But, private seller is probably the way to go. Check out the for sale/Texas section of LS1tech, you should find a good deal there.

San Antonio. I'm looking for high 20's though. Everyone I find anywhere in TX gets sold before I can pick up the phone.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
The reason I was looking at buying one from a dealership was because I wanted to trade mine in. I don't have the time to arrange test drives when I'm trying to sell mine privately. Also, I don't want to deal with liability and everything else. Maybe I should just put mine on autotrader.com.

Users who are viewing this thread