Buying gears, quick question

PIXER

Banned
Picking up a set of used FMS 4.10's for my '98

How much can I expect to pay to have them installed?

Whats the do-hicky that I need to correct my speedo or can that be done through a tune?

Right now I am getting ~27mpg hwy, ~20mpg average.
80mph = 2,200-2,300 RPM, whats it going to jump to? (yes search button is my friend, but there were allot of threads and nothing directing to my speedo cal.)

Thanks.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
The average going rate for gear install in S.F Bay Area is 350.00

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
I got my gear install done for $150 in Northern Cal. Get a speedcal.

blkvenm97

Established Member
Mine was like 310 bucks for the gears and installation...I got a good deal cuz I was having my motor rebuilt at the same time by this shop.......what is a speedcal guys? I need one of those myself...my speedo has been off so long I've gotten used to it lol

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Mine was like 310 bucks for the gears and installation...I got a good deal cuz I was having my motor rebuilt at the same time by this shop.......what is a speedcal guys? I need one of those myself...my speedo has been off so long I've gotten used to it lol

I'm the same way. I just realize now that 80 means 65 lol. The problem with it is you are putting fictitious miles on your cobra. I have put about 5000 extra on mine to date :eek: .

You can get the speedcal from Dallasmustang. It's 100 bucks I think. I will get one soon. You can jsut calibrate it to your rear gears and tires size and the speedo will be dead on.

blackfang

Established Member

And that decreases the value of your car because it has a True Mileage Unknown.

Here is a quick easy write up I made from when I installed my speedcal.

http://www.svt4u2try.com/Tech.html

SVTmunks

Established Member
In albuquerque, FRPP 4.10's + installation + Royal Purple = ~$600
Stock gears @ 75-80mph I was at about 2300RPM. With the 4.10's @ the same speed I'm right at 2900RPM

SVTmunks

Established Member
Holy shit! That's a royal screw job....

Yeah, it was kind of expensive. It included calibrating the speedo too. I think it might have been around $550ish, I don't remember exactly how much it totalled cause I had a SPEC stage III cluth, new springs & a couple other small things done at the same time. But yeah, it all adds up.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
IIRC mine were about $200.00 with new bearings and fluid included. My buddy owns a shop so that makes a big difference.

Helomech74

Established Member
Spend some time with your car and do them yourself. Get a book or video, get the tools, and spend a day doing it on your own or with a buddy. Gear install is very easy to do, and in the end you learn a little something about your car, you didn't flush money down the toilet, and you can pat yourself on the back because you saved money and did the work yourself.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
ford racing also makes a speed cal that i like much better than the dallas mustang one and you can get it at a lot of ford dealers

Users who are viewing this thread