Buying gears, quick question

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Where does the speedo gear actually go? I want to check which one I have.

onebadmystic

Established Member
on one side of the transmission i forget which side theres a harnass that connects to it. I can post a pic tomm since my cars up on jackstands now while i'm working on the suspension.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
WAIT WAIT WAIT... sorry to hijack your thread, but wtf? i noticed that when im on the freeway and in 5th at 80mph im at 3,000rpm. do i have 4.10's? or wa? i bought the car like this.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
just get a new speedo gear to correct the speedometer. 30 second install and only $10 or so you can get them anywhere. Unless your drastically changing your tire height (like with slicks which you wouldn't use on the street anyway) a speedcal isn't really neccessary http://www.steeda.com/products/speedometer_recalibration_gears.php

Now i just installed a T56 into my 98 cobra and its an electronic speed cal and i didnt do the speed cal. I currently imlike 160 in a slow roll so i need to do something about that lol..

I was looking at the dallas mustangs setup but would the steeda one work for me? Im not thinking it will as it seems it just for doing gears not the entire trans

onebadmystic

Established Member
dooms day i'm not sure how the electronic speedos work. can't help you there i know most people use there handheld tuners to correct for it in the new edges, but I'm guessing you need different (new edge) wiring for that.

heres where the gear is located. It's at the rear of the trans on the drivers side.
IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

you might even be able to get them at the dealer, the steeper speedo gears are fordracing parts

PIXER

Banned
just get a new speedo gear to correct the speedometer. 30 second install and only $10 or so you can get them anywhere. Unless your drastically changing your tire height (like with slicks which you wouldn't use on the street anyway) a speedcal isn't really neccessary http://www.steeda.com/products/speedometer_recalibration_gears.php

so you have these and like them?
Pretty accurate? (done the drive next to someone thing?)
Never heard of them (heard of the ones that go in your guage cluster)

onebadmystic

Established Member
yes they're accurate i've never driven next to someone to find out but I never felt the need to. im pretty sure these are what the manufacturer uses when for example some trucks have options for different gear ratios in the rear end. so they just use a different speedo gear to correct the speedometer

Helomech74

Established Member
The problem with the speedo gear is that the one for the 4.10's doesn't exactly match the tooth pitch of the drive gear in the tranny. Over time it will shred the gear to pieces. I went through 2 of them before ditching them for the speedcal. I paid 90 bucks for the speedcal, and I run the stock gear now.

As for adjusting the speedo after a T56 swap with the electronic speedo adapter, make sure you get the EXTENDED RANGE speed cal from dallas mustangs. The standard one won't work.

PIXER

Banned
You guys need to come to Illinois. I got mine done for $250, and that price included oil.

Getting mine done for $175, not including oil.
Think I am going to have the bearings replaced as well.
ANyone got a link to where I can order new bearings?

roush24

Established Member
Spend some time with your car and do them yourself. Get a book or video, get the tools, and spend a day doing it on your own or with a buddy. Gear install is very easy to do, and in the end you learn a little something about your car, you didn't flush money down the toilet, and you can pat yourself on the back because you saved money and did the work yourself.

yeah but what do u do when u cant get something rite and u get mad and start throwing ****? hehe cuz that happens to me 10 out of 10 times i do my own ****. Sometimes its better to just pay someone who has all the right tools, a lift, and has done it many times b4 to just get er done.

Trust me by no means am i saying dont do ur own work because theres definetly a real pride in that but sometimes you just have to say some jobs are bigger then what most would do.

PIXER

Banned
yeah but what do u do when u cant get something rite and u get mad and start throwing ****? hehe cuz that happens to me 10 out of 10 times i do my own ****. Sometimes its better to just pay someone who has all the right tools, a lift, and has done it many times b4 to just get er done.

Trust me by no means am i saying dont do ur own work because theres definetly a real pride in that but sometimes you just have to say some jobs are bigger then what most would do.

PICS of your car or BAN

Users who are viewing this thread