Buying My First Car/Mustang

Lucus Austin

Im turning 16 in two weeks and have been looking for about 6 months for the "perfect" mustang for the price i want and i found one that meets all my needs (heres a link to all the Specs) as its a v8 Manual 2001 mustang gt 4.6 L (obviously) silver Convertible, i wanted to know if you guys wanted to tell me any tips or thoughts on it, as it is my first car and first manual i will ever driven and if its worth the price thanks!

cobralvr01

Established Member
corral.net, that has more GT model subforums. SVTP is more...well...SVT Cobra related. My biggest piece of advice though, is LEARN THE CAR BEFORE YOU STOMP ON IT. My first car was a Mustang and I could've killed myself several times simply because I didn't know the car. Especially since you are an inexperienced driver, your learning curve will be different. Get used to the car. Research on the problems or the different sensitivities GT's tend to have while driving it. If you are going to go buckwild with driving it definitely go to a LARGE, EMPTY parking lot first and go crazy. You can learn better that way of what not to do when driving these things because they are known for their understeer and the rear can kick out pretty easily.

Last edited:

Martin Gonzalez

Established Member
A gt is a good car while they aren't super powerful they have more than enough power to put you in trouble,so easy on the gas pedal is a good advice.
Mustangs tent to turn people into torque addicted maniacs and a new driver could easily lose control of the vehicle specially on a manual transmission.
If you end up buying one just be mindful of your experience level and the vehicle's limitations.
Good luck.

Martin Gonzalez

Established Member
I understand this is mostly an svt forum,but there is plenty of svt owners that also own gt version of the mustang,and I'm sure some will be happy to express their opinions in this thread.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you're looking at the right year and models, plenty of fun as a Mustang, but not crazy power to cause you trouble as a first vehicle.

I'd get one with lower miles, a little shopping should turn them up under 100k miles for that kind of price.

Have you checked insurance quotes? If insuring it solo a Mustang GT will likely be crazy high for a 16 year old. If using parents, then probably not an issue.

Good luck and welcome to the Mustang obsession!

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Well, people will tell you not to get that for a first car to drive to school with in midwest winters since it is RWD... but I did it. It can be done, and it can even be fun. Just be prepared for some days where you just can't get around.

One concern is the headlights. I am not a fan of smoked headlights to begin with since it reduces your visibility, and at your age those things are ticket magnets.

The mileage is a little high for what I'd buy for myself, but if it has been well maintained it isn't too scary. Hard to know, though.

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
Sounds like you have a good plan. Welcome to the wonderful world of Mustangs. I would just reiterate that you first get an insurance quote for whatever car you are interested in prior to purchasing it. At your age, insurance premiums can be pretty high, especially for a Mustang GT. Also...not to sound like a parent but remember you will be driving a 3500lb vehicle. If you drive it the right way you will hopefully have years of motoring joy. If you drive it the wrong way it is a weapon that can have consequences that will haunt you the rest of your life. The parent side of me thinks a Mustang GT as a first car is a mistake, but I don't know you and perhaps you are a responsible young person. Either way, save the fast stuff for the track.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Welcome to SVTPerformance and I hope everything works out for you regarding your first car purchase. Everyone above has already given you great advice. I'll just add a few comments to what they've already said.

Make a sincere decision now, if you haven't already done so, that you WILL BE a responsible new driver. Many say that, but then throw caution to the wind once they get their license. Some learn from the mistakes of their siblings/friends and actually maintain good, responsible driving practices. That said, I hope your parents will monitor your driving and maybe even require that one of them drive with you for first couple of months, to help you beyond the initial time spent behind the wheel leading up to getting your license. Once you're on your own, again remember all of the lessons learned and keep them in practice. Don't succumb to peer pressure and get yourself potentially in trouble. Treat your new Mustang (or any car) with due respect and drive with respect for the car and others, and you'll do fine.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Here's my Ward Clever:
1) Read, read, read about Mustangs on the net - You have a great advantage over us old dudes. You can learn so much about these cars with just the click of a mouse.
2) Go to car shows and talk to Mustang owners.
3) Don't be overwhelmed by the "glitzy cars". Get one that is mechanically sound.
4) Look, don't buy, as many Mustangs as you possibly can IN PERSON - Pics always make cars look better than in person. Seeing them in person will give you a great idea of what is actually out there versus what some salesman/seller tells you.
5) Get a Carfax and/or Autocheck - It's worth the dough.
6) Check insurance rates - Grab the VIN off several cars you like and get them quoted.
7) Buy a stock car, not a modded car - You want to drive and enjoy it, not fix it.
8) Have a mechanic check it out before you buy.
9) Most importantly - Never, ever, ever say, "Watch This"!

Good luck!

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
One thing to add, check tire prices. Really cuts down on your desire to do a smoke show when you know it will cost you a paycheck.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Don't get a vert - they make more noise with the top up, they are harder to see out of, they will possibly leak, and there are more things to fail. I love my vert as a weekend nice weather car, but would never daily drive one. Oh - and they are break-in magnets and not as safe. Be sure to read up on things to check on any used car.

openaccount

Established Member
Do your self a favor and check out an "scca Street survival school". There will be one in a couple months in Lincoln. They will help you become a much better driver and will likely help lower insurance costs.

04YellowGT

Established Member
People have already hit on a lot of what I was going to to mention.

My first car was a 2001 Mustang V6 at 15 years old followed by a 2004 GT at 16 which I built to a 10 sec car by 18. Never got a ticket but not saying I shouldn't have. Number one word of advice is know your car and know its limits. When you do push it, because we all know one day you will, do it on a road you know is safe (flat, smooth, and little to no side streets/ roads) with absolutely no traffic. NEVER beat on your car on a new road you've never been on and never do it on a road with traffic. I learned these tips from a good friend's dad who owned an 03 Cobra, I live by these rules and I've never even had a close call.

With that said. A lot of people are going to tell you its too much car for a new driver and it may be. I think its great to see young drivers getting into Mustangs and the automotive hobby. If this is what you want to get, then make sure you are careful and be a smart responsible driver (Remember my rules). A manual convertible is going to be more difficult car to handle if you do something stupid. Remember that. If it was me I would look for a coupe unless you are dead set on a vert. The car will be a little more stable plus its one less thing you have to worry about on a car of that age.

Couple things to think about for a first car.

Is this going to be your only mode of transportation and are you paying for everything by your self?
If you live in an area that gets snow plan on investing in some snow tires. Can you afford another set of tires?
Do you know how to drive stick? If not, do you feel comfortable being a new driver and learning to drive stick at the same time?

As for things to look for in a Mustang especially one with that many miles:
Clutch: Has it ever been replaced? When?
Heads: Check the heads and make sure they haven't blown a spark plug. The heads on those cars were known to blow plugs.
Convertible: Check the top, make sure it doesn't leak or need replaced. Also make sure the vert motor is in good working condition
Suspension: With that high of miles suspension components may be shot and need replaced.
Brakes: Look them over make sure it doesn't need pads and rotors soon.

Like others have said I think you could find a better deal with lower miles. Also if you get a coupe you could most likely save a few more bucks. Look on here and some other mustang forums at the cars for sale. I think you could find a better deal on here and the car will most likely be better maintained.

Good luck and be safe!

Users who are viewing this thread