Buying my son a car, what to do?!?!

entropy

Established Member
Hi all. I am buying my son a 03 blue mach1, 14k miles on it for 22k. It has a procharger stage 2 supercharger, 475rwhp. It has no other mods other than this.

I do not have knowledge of good mods for this car, and was looking for your advice. From what i gather the bassani x-pipe with cats is a pretty popular one. What catback exhaust should i run with this to get a badass rumble that he wants out of it? And how much HP do you expect to gain with these?

Also, is the installation of these easy? Both the catbacks and the xpipe.

Thanks a lot for your advice, and I am sure my son will be visiting these boards quite soon (and a happy one!)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
if your son is still learning to drive i would think twice.

in the spring of 04 in northern california a 16-17 year old high school athlete crashed his mach 1 on some back roads at night with three friends in the car. after he got out of the hospital he got a new mach 1 and his friend in the passenger seat recieved a one way pass the the morgue. :(

i dont think any car over 300 horsepower is the correct car for kids to learn how to drive.

as for sound, you will hear the whine of the blower over everything. if you want that old fashioned musclecar sound you will not get it with a blower on the engine. also the x pipe will give it more of a raspy sound. if you want muscular tone go with something like the mac prochamber h pipe, with a good chamber muffler.
there is a good vid down below - mach 1's stocked geared finish in 3rd with 5 speed that only has a single chamber flowmaster with stock tubes. the car sounds good.

horsepower added will be very minimal compared to the gains already made by the blower. i would say 20-30 to the wheels. will you be able to feel it? i dont think so.

MachWon320

Established Member
Also how many pounds is the blower set up at to put 475 rwhp? That sounds like quite a lot and the pistons in the mach1's will not last too long on that much boost. You may also want to upgrade internals if he runs that much boost all the time.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
I got an idea!!! How about you let your son buy his own car...

That way he'll appreciate it and not wrap the car around a tree that daddy bought for him.

machstang23

Established Member
I agree with everyone else, in the fact that if your son is young, this is not the car for him to learn to drive in. Yes it sounds like an extremely nice car, but bone stock it will still send an inexperienced driver for the ride of his life. I know because my mach was my first real muscle car ( I had a stock 88 lx.... that thing is slow compared to the mach) and the first time I drove it, it scared the s*** out of me. But hey your the parent.... you make the decision, and just hope your son is mature enough to handle and respect the power that the car has. just my $.02

entropy

Established Member
He is 18, we are selling his current car and he is going to split the payments with us. It is a birthday/graduation present. He has driven fast cars quite often. He learned to drive stick on his uncles 2002 ZO6. Him handling the power is not a problem, especially with zero tickets or accidents

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
entropy said:
He is 18, we are selling his current car and he is going to split the payments with us. It is a birthday/graduation present. He has driven fast cars quite often. He learned to drive stick on his uncles 2002 ZO6. Him handling the power is not a problem, especially with zero tickets or accidents

i'd really wait on it, i have no tickets/accidents, but with that much power everyone gets tempted, i'm 19 btw, had a 65 mustang, then a 88Gt , took that to the track several times, and now an 04 mach1, i pay for everything and appreciate it :pepper:

entropy

Established Member
As I said, he is going to pay for part of it. He helped my family out a lot by getting great grades and a sports scholarship to a UC, and we pay very little for his college. That itself is a form of hard work, just as working with a job is.

Again, I am not asking whether or not to get it, but what modifications to make for it. If it is too much power, then we will go from there. I really would just like to know what basic mods are for mach 1s. Thanks.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
Get it for him!!! Installing the headers on any 4valve cobra/mach is a real pain in the ass!!! A shop will charge 350-450 to do this. I'm sure he is responsible if you are doing this for him. Don't listen to all the step dads on here(ASSHOLES).

SteveChris

Established Member
XCELR8 said:
I got an idea!!! How about you let your son buy his own car...

That way he'll appreciate it and not wrap the car around a tree that daddy bought for him.
HE'S BUYING HIM A TREE TOO!?!? :shrug: :nono:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
entropy said:
As I said, he is going to pay for part of it. He helped my family out a lot by getting great grades and a sports scholarship to a UC, and we pay very little for his college. That itself is a form of hard work, just as working with a job is.

Again, I am not asking whether or not to get it, but what modifications to make for it. If it is too much power, then we will go from there. I really would just like to know what basic mods are for mach 1s. Thanks.

this is the part i dont understand. if you and your son want to mod a car together why dont you start off with a near stock mach 1. imo by starting with 550 horsepower mach 1 that is already heavily modified you really can not do that much in terms of creating more power. really the only thing you would be able to do is pay for visuall modifications.

i would make the engine fire proof before adding any more power mods. get all the moving parts of the motor forgerd before adding anything else.

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member

The major mods for my car are in my sig. It is set up to drag race (track only). I would love to put a blower on but I can buy my daughter her first car for what a ProCharger set up/install would cost me.

I don't regret any of my mods. List of things to go on next: adjustable drag struts, u/l control arms in the rear, maybe a 75 shot of Nitrous.

Good luck. My son is a Junior in high school this year. Next year he will be a Senior center on the football team and a wrestler. I'm very proud of him too as you are of your son. Great times. ;)

IZZY

Established Member
There are a number of aftermarket cat-back systems, x-pipes, and h-pipes for the mach. Much is a matter of personal taste and the depth of your wallet. For a cat-back system, I chose the Borla Stinger. It's sound is deep and menacing. An h-pipe will maintain or enhance the muscle car sound while the x-pipe will give it a race car tone. I won't bother with the horsepower aspect of the x and h-pipes because your son's car has a blower. You will need to retune the car, when you make these exhaust changes. If not, you run the danger of running lean and causing major engine damage.

reliK

gimmeh that ishhhh
Established Member
hey i just turned 16 and i have a 01 bullitt with around 315rwhp. you just gotta make sure the kid isnt a maniac and or make sure he is responsible. thats all it takes, u gotta know your limits and know when to let off. sounds like a nice car though.

Users who are viewing this thread