Buying my son a car, what to do?!?!

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
Nick85 said:
Entropy comes here for advice on mods and instead she gets lessons in parenting :rollseyes
Seriously. Just answer his questions he is asking, don't try and control and give advice on what he should do. If he wanted to know what you thought about him buying his kid a car, then he would of asked.

This sh!t gets annoying sometimes. :mj:

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
Maybe it's just me, but the car already has 475rwhp, who cares what x-pipe or catback you put on it! I'm assuming it still has the original h-pipe and catback, which seems kinda strange to me. Slap a catted Magnaflow x-pipe and Borla Stinger catback on that thing, and it'll sound just fine!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
SOrry, but coming from a father of four (me). I REFUSE to give you any feedback. I have seen to many kids get hurt because of parental irresponsibility. Between me, my father, and grandfather being volunteer firefighters; my dad being a doctor, I can tell you, NO 18 year old is responsible enough to handle a 450HP car.

If you disagree. I can get you in contact with a father that thought the EXACT same thing as you. His son got the good grades just like yours. His grad present was a brand new Corvette (C4 at the time). Let me just say, he never went to his first day of college. And the Phone company had a fun time changing the phone pole.

Do what you want, but I will be able to sleep tonight, knowing i did not potentially help a father knowingly put his own son is harms way.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
A Mach would be fine, but I wouldnt get one with a blower on it. IMO, your asking for trouble. The first bit of rain, and a Blown Mach can be like trying to drive a bar of soap, if you dont know what your doing.
Go ahead, ask me.. :)

mustangmach04

Banned
I would say that the car would be fine, it just depends on how reliable he is on his own things, will he take care of it and not kill him self. I would say he wouldnt be safe while ur around in it, its a fast car that is attracting attention with a supercharger on it. I had to buy my own car and like a dumb ass in a gt(my first car) i lost my license for reckless driving while doing burnouts. Now i drive a mach and take care of it at the age of 19. But like alot of folks, i didnt have the beauty or having my parents by me a car. Take in consideration of what you are doing for your son, its a nice thought and yes we all on this board would have wanted the same damn car if our parents were to buy it also.

If u were doing exhaust i like the combo of its kooks long tubes, dr.gas off road x, magnaflow or even bassani catback, but that is gonna be loud as hell, so i might go witha 2 catted x/h. well hope this helps and maintain control of your son, hes young as i am but like me i dont have a father anymore due to cancer and i couldnt imagine what he was thinking when he knew he wouldnt see his son aymore since he was passing away, think of that for your self. good luck man

Chris@BAP

Established Member
Hey I am 19 I have purchased two car by myself (a 2003 Cobra and a 35th Anniversary Edition '99 GT) age is definitely not as much of a factor as people think its all about the individual, I pay for everything for my cars including insurance and the like... But like mustangmach04 said as far as exhaust goes I personally would go with a bassani catted X (I have one that you could make off/on-road) because for young people like us the cops just like pulling you over for nothing I have not received any tickets in my cars but they like hassling us so its best to keep it legal. Good Luck.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Get a offroad x, or h pipe, and a flowmaster, or a slp, or borla exhaust. Get a short throw shifter, steeda, upr, mgw.

entropy said:
Hi all. I am buying my son a 03 blue mach1, 14k miles on it for 22k. It has a procharger stage 2 supercharger, 475rwhp. It has no other mods other than this.

I do not have knowledge of good mods for this car, and was looking for your advice. From what i gather the bassani x-pipe with cats is a pretty popular one. What catback exhaust should i run with this to get a badass rumble that he wants out of it? And how much HP do you expect to gain with these?

Also, is the installation of these easy? Both the catbacks and the xpipe.

Thanks a lot for your advice, and I am sure my son will be visiting these boards quite soon (and a happy one!)

kyStang1889

Ford Tech
Established Member
I got an idea!!! How about you let your son buy his own car...

That way he'll appreciate it and not wrap the car around a tree that daddy bought for him.

i got an idea why don't you answer the guys question instea of being pissed off cuz ur dad wouldn't buy your car

ThatsBAD06

Thread Killer
Established Member
Give him credit! I got my mach when I was 16 and I had no problem handling the money and I respected the car for its power. I have no dicked around in it and haven't pulled anything and my record is clean. I'm 17 now and I'm so sick of older people stereotyping teenagers as horrible immature drivers. Your son will love the mach.

black89lx

Established Member
im 16 and have paid for my car all by myself.

my mom and dad know its fast but arnt really car people so they dont know what all is really done to it. kind of sneeky i know but its what i gotta do.

im more mature than booksmart i would say.

right now im making about 1400 a week so the car is getting transformed rapidly because i have no bills other than gas, insurance, and my cell phone.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
I would upgrade the internials of the motor before I do anything else to that car.. If the person put a supercharger on it most likely they have other mods on it as well.. You can get a complete engine build up from Modularperformance.com for about 1500 bucks.. That will include your Forged pistons, rings, rods, all bearings, arp bolts etc.... I would pull the motor and have the internials replace if you want that motor to last.. JMHO...

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I am wondering i you considered buying a Mustang with a blown motor, or a GT and putting a crate motor in it.
I don't know how mechanically inclined you and your son are, but it might be a good father/son project, and he will hone his mechanical skills, and maybe appreciate what it takes to build, care for and enjoy a HP car.
Just an idea.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
ThatsBAD06 said:
Give him credit! I got my mach when I was 16 and I had no problem handling the money and I respected the car for its power. I have no dicked around in it and haven't pulled anything and my record is clean. I'm 17 now and I'm so sick of older people stereotyping teenagers as horrible immature drivers. Your son will love the mach.

Um, does your mach 1 have 450 HP?? didnt' think so.

blumnday99

Established Member
entropy said:
Hi all. I am buying my son a 03 blue mach1, 14k miles on it for 22k. It has a procharger stage 2 supercharger, 475rwhp. It has no other mods other than this.

I do not have knowledge of good mods for this car, and was looking for your advice. From what i gather the bassani x-pipe with cats is a pretty popular one. What catback exhaust should i run with this to get a badass rumble that he wants out of it? And how much HP do you expect to gain with these?

Also, is the installation of these easy? Both the catbacks and the xpipe.

Thanks a lot for your advice, and I am sure my son will be visiting these boards quite soon (and a happy one!)

I'd go with a bassani midpipe and an SLP LM 2 if you want the rumble. Add some headers too if you're going to do the exhaust.

On a side note...my mach dynoed about that much with a D1SC and if I try to make a turn and get on it a little too much it gets sideways. I'd be careful with that car...it can be really hard to control especially when that procharger is in the higher rpms.

04torchred

Established Member
entropy said:
As I said, he is going to pay for part of it. He helped my family out a lot by getting great grades and a sports scholarship to a UC, and we pay very little for his college. That itself is a form of hard work, just as working with a job is.

Again, I am not asking whether or not to get it, but what modifications to make for it. If it is too much power, then we will go from there. I really would just like to know what basic mods are for mach 1s. Thanks.

Don't worry about what other people say, your son sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and that is what counts. I have seen people 10+yrs older then me(22yrs old) drive like complete idiots with far less power then I have. My younger brother is 17yr almost 18 and has an 03 Mach 1(full exhaust, tune, etc.) and he drives just fine. Glad to hear you are being a great dad, all kids need a little of that every once in a while. Honestly, my parents helped both of us obtain our cars(down payment) and I for one do not appreciate my car any less. Love my parents to death for helping us out.

Exhaust is an easy install as long as you are not doing headers, the BBK LT's on my brothers mach too nearly 8hrs to install. Catback took me all of 1hr.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread