Buying my son a car, what to do?!?!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
04torchred said:
Don't worry about what other people say, your son sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and that is what counts. I have seen people 10+yrs older then me(22yrs old) drive like complete idiots with far less power then I have. My younger brother is 17yr almost 18 and has an 03 Mach 1(full exhaust, tune, etc.) and he drives just fine. Glad to hear you are being a great dad, all kids need a little of that every once in a while. Honestly, my parents helped both of us obtain our cars(down payment) and I for one do not appreciate my car any less. Love my parents to death for helping us out.

Exhaust is an easy install as long as you are not doing headers, the BBK LT's on my brothers mach too nearly 8hrs to install. Catback took me all of 1hr.

"you can't see the entire nut if you are inside it."

Just sit and think about that phrase for a little while. It will sink it.

04torchred

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
"you can't see the entire nut if you are inside it."

Just sit and think about that phrase for a little while. It will sink it.

It has sunk in, but I don't understand why people are hassled for doing stuff like this. Would you rather he help his son buy a Volvo wagon, Golf GTI, etc. because they have less power. To some people the thought of 450rwhp scares them, when to others you are just starting to get into power. His kid seems to have a level head, so why do people instantly think he is going to crash it. When people say stuff like that it makes me think they are jealous and pissy because they were never helped out, grow up and deal with it, not every kid that gets stuff is a spoiled piece of shit who appreciates nothing.

Also, I have paid my parents back nearly every damn cent they lent me and I am making payments on my Cobra as we speak, so how do I not understand or appreciate what I have? Just because I was helped does not mean I do not value what I have or appreciate why I was able to get it. Hell my parents helped us out because they were proud everyone of their kids is in University taking Engineering.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
04torchred said:
It has sunk in, but I don't understand why people are hassled for doing stuff like this. Would you rather he help his son buy a Volvo wagon, Golf GTI, etc. because they have less power. To some people the thought of 450rwhp scares them, when to others you are just starting to get into power. His kid seems to have a level head, so why do people instantly think he is going to crash it. When people say stuff like that it makes me think they are jealous and pissy because they were never helped out, grow up and deal with it, not every kid that gets stuff is a spoiled piece of shit who appreciates nothing.

Also, I have paid my parents back nearly every damn cent they lent me and I am making payments on my Cobra as we speak, so how do I not understand or appreciate what I have? Just because I was helped does not mean I do not value what I have or appreciate why I was able to get it. Hell my parents helped us out because they were proud everyone of their kids is in University taking Engineering.

It's called getting used to the power. NO ONE can just "hop" into a car with real power and be able to handle it. And at 17-18, you dont' have enough experience to handle a car like that. Heck, most people in here couldn't handle the cars they have if somethign were to go wrong. And I understand sh!t happens. Fact is, it is easier to give into temptation of doing something stupid when you are younger. Having a "level" head is not enough. Only his son knows if he will make the right choice..........and excuse me if the well being of my children are more important. If he truely wants to help is son out.....send him to as many "performance" schools as possible. Drag school, road racing....etc. Now THAT is a real present from a caring father. Not a 450HP car.

04torchred

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
It's called getting used to the power. NO ONE can just "hop" into a car with real power and be able to handle it. And at 17-18, you dont' have enough experience to handle a car like that. Heck, most people in here couldn't handle the cars they have if somethign were to go wrong. And I understand sh!t happens. Fact is, it is easier to give into temptation of doing something stupid when you are younger. Having a "level" head is not enough. Only his son knows if he will make the right choice..........and excuse me if the well being of my children are more important. If he truely wants to help is son out.....send him to as many "performance" schools as possible. Drag school, road racing....etc. Now THAT is a real present from a caring father. Not a 450HP car.

Agreed, but he said his son was doing okay with modded cars, learned to drive on a Z06. I understand what you are saying and that is something he must decide if his son is capable of knowing his limits with the car. Maybe I am a bad example and so is my brother because my first car was a 4 cylinder S-10(but then it got a 350hp/327ci, then a 430hp/383ci and now I have a Cobra)

Driving schools would be fun, but pretty damn expensive. I had the opportunity to attend a defensive driving course last summer with skid recovery, slalom, high speed evasion and it was a blast.

I guess in the end I agree with you, but it is the parents call to tell if their kid will be able to handle the car. Some people can drive and some just can't. They should be in a parking lot practicing pitching the car sideways and steering into it to get a feel for what the car is gonna do and if the kid cannot handle it either he will be scared and appreciate it or his dad will not let him drive the car till he can.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
04torchred said:
Agreed, but he said his son was doing okay with modded cars, learned to drive on a Z06. I understand what you are saying and that is something he must decide if his son is capable of knowing his limits with the car. Maybe I am a bad example and so is my brother because my first car was a 4 cylinder S-10(but then it got a 350hp/327ci, then a 430hp/383ci and now I have a Cobra)

Driving schools would be fun, but pretty damn expensive. I had the opportunity to attend a defensive driving course last summer with skid recovery, slalom, high speed evasion and it was a blast.

I guess in the end I agree with you, but it is the parents call to tell if their kid will be able to handle the car. Some people can drive and some just can't. They should be in a parking lot practicing pitching the car sideways and steering into it to get a feel for what the car is gonna do and if the kid cannot handle it either he will be scared and appreciate it or his dad will not let him drive the car till he can.

:beer:

To me, the driving lessons are never too expensive. We are talking about the well being of a son/daughter. The price to learn how to control the car, respect it, is worth alot more, and is surely less than the price of a 450HP mach.

:beer:

jlauth

Established Member
Ok I am only 20 and when i turned 16 i got a 96 gt, which i payed for. Let me tell you i got myself into some sticky situations, and had a lot of fun. At the time that car was plenty. I also learned how to drive on a 87 5.0 LX stang with many mods, it was my parents. My car was totaled when i was 18 (the accident was not my fault) then my mom got me a loan for which i have paied every penny (same as the first car). Only now do i feel that i am ready for a little more power that is why i am getting nitrous. I will only be at like 380 HP and i only hope that i am prepared this summer. I think that your son deserves a mach 1, but get him a stock mach. Then you and him mod the thing over the years. I think that he could have just as much fun in a 305 hp which he will be able to put his hard work into.

Last edited:

Chas

Established Member
Since your in California I would skip the mid pipe to avoid any problems and just get a Flowmaster catback if he wants it to rumble. I would also be very concerned about the stock Mach 1 pistons at that HP level and 91 octane gas. They are not a forged piston and will not stand up to any detonation. I think that is an answer to your mod questions.

Now, I have to say there is a learning curve to driving high HP MUSTANGS and it doesn't start anywhere near 475 HP. I had more fun driving the two Mustang GTs I've had then I do in the Cobra. It has about 450 HP and it scares me and I have 20+ years of driving experience. I would get him an 04 or an 06GT it will be easier on gas (more money for beer), have a warrenty, less HP = safer, be more reliable and is still a great car to give him as a gift.

Please don't dismiss others concerns for your sons safety.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
04torchred said:
I guess in the end I agree with you, but it is the parents call to tell if their kid will be able to handle the car.

Unfortunately LOTS of parents overestimate their childrens abilities and it can be very costly.
Dont you people watch American Idol?!?! :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread