buying parts safely?

svt_cobra01

Established Member
i see people all the time posting items for sale and people also selling exhaust and various parts. im wondering is it safe to make purchases from other members on this site? idk if this is a stupid question but i would like to get good deals but im not sure how safe it is or even the process of how to go about buying?

MackDombles

Established Member
Stand up bunch of people it seems to me. I'm really new here but buy on forums ALOT, and this place has a good vibe. Always a bad apple or two but so far, so good. Good luck with your hunt.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I use PayPal and never send the money as a gift unless it's someone I know. I've only been burned a couple times over the years. One of them was before PayPal was around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
never send money as a gift

ask for plenty of pictures

be ware of people that only have a handful of posts but are on here selling

its fine the vast majority of the time

Beavis281

Established Member
I have bought a few items here on the forums. All the guys have been great to deal with.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I've bought a lot of parts here and have only been burned once on some take-off Bilstein struts that ended up being bent. Seller said he bought them off someone else on SVTP and never tried to compress them so he washed his hands of responsibility and wouldn't refund my $. I'm a lot more picky of what I buy used now. But overall, a great set of people on SVTP.

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
If you're that concerned, then ask for very specific pictures to know the seller actual has that item in hand. As mentioned already, never pay by paypal gift. Never.
With the newer trading rules requiring a dated member name photo, the likeliness of getting screwed is very low here.

Lastly, as a PSA, the $ still goes on the LEFT side of the currency in the U.S. :) $1,234.56

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Ask LOTS of specific questions. You would be surprised how people will just say Cobra trying to pass it off as a 03/04 part instead of another year. Making them answer specific questions goes a long way towards a claim either through Pay Pal or even the admins on this site if they try and screw you. Things come up for sale quite a bit, so if you miss something, don't sweat it, just wait a little longer and it will come up.

DJAMiller

Established Member
While I haven't ever purchased anything off this forum I have bought and sold a lot of items on other forums, I will say its been my experience that buying off of forums is the best way to buy used online. I've purchased things on ebay that were junk, broken, missing parts, etc. All of my forum transactions have been pleasant however.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Bought and sold quite a bit on this site and other forums. Never been burned (knock on wood) Ebay as well. Ultimately it comes to taking the time to research the seller and part. 10 minutes can save you $ and a headache.

I also only use paypal and that uses a CC.

Basically if the seller has no feedback, doesn't contribute outside the market or has a low post count combined with a newish join date then i pass. It can be one or all of those things. Its just not worth it. Just use common sense.

Plus the new rules around here are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
I got ripped off by a long term member on headers. My bad for gifting the money but didn't think someone so active would do that.

He got banned but 90% sure he's back in here under a new username.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

James.03Cobra

Established Member
I have bought and sold on here 2-3 times in the past 3 months of owning my car. Everyone has been super cool and honest.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread