Buying used rods?

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
I am looking at buying a used 04 cobra rotating assembly from a member on here for what i think is a pretty good price and is pretty local. Entire assembly has less than 20k miles and everything looks to be in good shape, bearings look good no scaring. Im looking to put the rods and crank into a turbo motor im building, looking for 600 street hp and maybe 700 race hp. I know the crank is just about bullet proof, and the rods are Manley H-beams, but are they the awesome H-beams that can do 800rwhp safely or are they a slightly cheaper version? And i assume 20k miles isnt bad for the rods since they are still in good shape?

Quick Strike

Established Member
Get the ARP 2000 rod bolts and have the rods sized and checked at your machine shop. The will be fine to 1000 FWHP or more.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Well you don't know how the car the internals came from was maintained, and if you're going to do a 700 hp build why not do it "right"?

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
Well you don't know how the car the internals came from was maintained, and if you're going to do a 700 hp build why not do it "right"?

Figured Manley H-beams were doing it right for my needs. I plan on inspecting them when i go to pick them up, check to make sure journals are round and so scaring is seen. Dont see how it much different from other cobra guys destroying a piston or 2 and taking the motor apart buying new pistons and putting the stock crank and rods in. Not to come off as a dick but Nate you are the only person on here and the turbo forums to say not too, they all said if they are in good shape go for it.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Nothing wrong with buying a used crank or rods bud as long as u have a good machine shop to check everything over and know what to look for...if its a good price go after it.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I am looking at buying a used 04 cobra rotating assembly from a member on here for what i think is a pretty good price and is pretty local.

if you are putting that dohc motor in your 69 i demand to see a build ! we just did a 69 mach 1 with a 408 but id like to see how you deal with all of the wiring and all because I've been considering a late model swap like that

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
if you are putting that dohc motor in your 69 i demand to see a build ! we just did a 69 mach 1 with a 408 but id like to see how you deal with all of the wiring and all because I've been considering a late model swap like that

Yep the 4.6 is going in the 69, i currently has a 418 in it, its been a fun motor but moving on, plus i wanted a turbo car and the 418 has right at 11:1 which is no good for turbos. It will have a build thread when i get more parts, by this summer i will have the R&C front suspension in it, will also have a TH400 in it. Not sure on what EFI i want to do yet.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
nice man keep me posted ! i think if i was to do it in a fox body at least i would run stock 03 cobra style harness and cpu and just use custom auto meter gauges. not much room for gauges in those stock dashes nor would i want to cut them up

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
but on the rods a buddy of mine bought used cobra rods 50k miles i think ? and they look perfectly fine the machine shop has seen them already i wouldn't hesitate as long as the shop gives you a thumbs up

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
i've looked into it quite a bit and from what i have seen it looks a lot easier to have the 03 and tune it just like you own an 03 cobra with a handheld tuner like SCT. I think standalone would be a lot more $$$

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
You DEFINITELY dont need ARP 2000 Bolts.

When have you EVER seen a stock rod bolt fail? NEVER.

The whole point of buying used is to save money....but it also comes with risks.

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
also you will have to notch the shocks towers in the 69 cause there literally bigger then a 427 lol well wider

well with the R&C coil over rack and pinion front suspension i get to cut out the shock towers completly much like this car.

65-dohc.jpg

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
that certainly makes things much easier ! i have fallen in love with the 03-4 cobra motor and it sucks because i literally just got finished building a 347 before i bought this car i like the big block look they give in a engine bay and how well you can dress them up awesome idea !

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
that certainly makes things much easier ! i have fallen in love with the 03-4 cobra motor and it sucks because i literally just got finished building a 347 before i bought this car i like the big block look they give in a engine bay and how well you can dress them up awesome idea !

Sell the 347!!!! I bought a complete 97 cobra motor for $400 had 96k or 86k miles cant remember which one, guy took it out because it was making a noise and his mechanic said it was a rod bearing cutting into the crank, so he replaced it with a cheap GT crank then found a deal on a termi and swapped that in.

Users who are viewing this thread