Buying used SC, what to know?

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
I've been dreaming of a new SC for my car this year, but I'm also on a modest budget & patiently waited all year for Black Friday deals only to be dissapointed by what was out there this year so I'm shopping the used market now for a TVS unit. If buying a used Trinity, Gen2, Gen2R blower (head unit & pulley only) is there anything else I would need for install to budget for or will I re-use all stock hardware from my stock M122?
I know my 2010 would need the BPS evap piece for the elbow on a Trinity.
Anything else like would I need to buy a new install kit from VMP for the g2, g2r?

Edit, I already picked up a VMP dual BAP.

PM-Performance

Established Member
all stock hardware used. you would need a matching elbow for the blower. Not sure on the evap piece, likely though, but I have the 13/14 evap on my Trinity.

I have a low mile Trinity I have contemplated selling. I have the stock elbow as well as a ported BPS elbow as well. . . . . But i just noticed you are in Canada. Shipping can be silly depending on where in Canada you are. I think that is gonna be your biggest issue buying used

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Thanks Pietro, fyi the VMP blowers have teh elbow intergrated into the head unit so they are not a seperate piece.
You're right, shipping costs are rediculous when coming up to Canada, but I'm close to the CDN USA border & can have everthing shipped to a USA address, then drive down & import it back across myself.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Thanks Pietro, fyi the VMP blowers have teh elbow intergrated into the head unit so they are not a seperate piece.
You're right, shipping costs are rediculous when coming up to Canada, but I'm close to the CDN USA border & can have everthing shipped to a USA address, then drive down & import it back across myself.
The 2’s don’t do they? 2r+ does.
In that case lmk if interested. I won’t give it away, but I have fuel injectors and everything to drop in with it too I can do a package for.

TVS_Mach

Established Member
I just picked up a trinity , shipping was 200 US and duty was 110 CAD.

Tough for us Canadian guys as the blower market is slim pickings.

Supercharger was as advertised , but seller could of spent a little more time packing it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PM-Performance

Established Member
I just picked up a trinity , shipping was 200 US and duty was 110 CAD.

Tough for us Canadian guys as the blower market is slim pickings.

Supercharger was as advertised , but seller could of spent a little more time packing it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

big stuff like this, I send wrapped up and then in large tubs now. No fighting with the carrier then on car board box damage. If the tub is cracked, they ****ed up. Pretty cut and dry. Lol.
I learned that from a guy I bought an intake manifold off of after the first one got damaged from the carrier from the first guy I bought from.
Second was in a tub and was genius!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
big stuff like this, I send wrapped up and then in large tubs now. No fighting with the carrier then on car board box damage. If the tub is cracked, they ****ed up. Pretty cut and dry. Lol.
I learned that from a guy I bought an intake manifold off of after the first one got damaged from the carrier from the first guy I bought from.

awesome idea. Thanks for sharing that.
And honestly, the buyer can cover cost of that even if it is an extra $15.00 or so

Imatk

Established Member

That's a GREAT idea... hell you'd probably pay less for the plastic tub than a friggin cardboard box!

PM-Performance

Established Member
awesome idea. Thanks for sharing that.
And honestly, the buyer can cover cost of that even if it is an extra $15.00 or so
I do not do business that way. I hate when people put it on the buyer. That is a pet peave of mine when saying Fees and shipping extra. Just factor your price with parts and materials and shipping included.

Sorry for the tangent, but thats one of those things I hate when seeing people sell.

PM-Performance

Established Member
That's a GREAT idea... hell you'd probably pay less for the plastic tub than a friggin cardboard box!
Yea, those tubs are maybe $15. On a couple thousand dollar blower or similar, I rather eat the $15 to be honest than have to deal with a pissed off customer. I been on the other end of that deal and it sucks because the seller was lazy

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, those tubs are maybe $15. On a couple thousand dollar blower or similar, I rather eat the $15 to be honest than have to deal with a pissed off customer. I been on the other end of that deal and it sucks because the seller was lazy

You should make a "how to video" of packing a blower for shipment. And pepper the video with plenty of F-Bombs :)

PM-Performance

Established Member
You should make a "how to video" of packing a blower for shipment. And pepper the video with plenty of F-Bombs :)

Hahahaha, maybe if I get bored enough one of these days.
I barely have enough time to make the videos I do. I had to slow down on vinyl/shirts so I could focus on my studies for a certification at work, so my time has been extremely limited.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I have sold, packed, and shipped 5 superchargers through the SVTP marketplace. Have fabricated double thick cardboard boxes that I made to fit the basic contour of the supercharger and used plenty of interior packing materials. Certainly takes a bit of creativeness and attention, but all five buyers have been complimentary of the effort. Not trying to toot my own horn, but just offering that it can be done effectively without much expenditure.

XP900

Established Member
I've been dreaming of a new SC for my car this year, but I'm also on a modest budget & patiently waited all year for Black Friday deals only to be dissapointed by what was out there this year so I'm shopping the used market now for a TVS unit. If buying a used Trinity, Gen2, Gen2R blower (head unit & pulley only) is there anything else I would need for install to budget for or will I re-use all stock hardware from my stock M122?
I know my 2010 would need the BPS evap piece for the elbow on a Trinity.
Anything else like would I need to buy a new install kit from VMP for the g2, g2r?

Edit, I already picked up a VMP dual BAP.

Make sure you check out the VMP Gen2R Budget SC kit. It has almost everything you would need already put together and it is not always advertised or listed on their site very well. You have hunt for it sometimes. It is under 4K and sometimes they discount it a hundred or two but not much. They also don't allow any substitutions in that kit...no BAP in it ..separate purchase but it does include a free tune. I only used their tune to get the car to a tuner. If you haven't already modified the car then this is a really good starting point. You can't buy everything new in that kit separately and match that price unless you are buying used equipment.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Make sure you check out the VMP Gen2R Budget SC kit. It has almost everything you would need already put together and it is not always advertised or listed on their site very well. You have hunt for it sometimes. It is under 4K and sometimes they discount it a hundred or two but not much. They also don't allow any substitutions in that kit...no BAP in it ..separate purchase but it does include a free tune. I only used their tune to get the car to a tuner. If you haven't already modified the car then this is a really good starting point. You can't buy everything new in that kit separately and match that price unless you are buying used equipment.

Thanks for getting this back on track and the suggestion, however I already have all the other parts that comes in that kit except the head unit. If I was starting from scratch though I agree that kit is the way to go.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-pJWgZDv/0/df977e2e/L/i-pJWgZDv-L.jpg

kodiakmustang

Established Member
If you have everything in the budget kit, then the only thing you may need (I did) might be the EVAP provision for your 2010. Weird thing is I was going to give you a link to the VMP part, but their picture is different than the bolt-on EVAP elbow that I installed on mine. The VMP part number I bought was VMP-SUP071. Here's a pic of the back of a modified/ported Gen2 and my M122, which shows the empty EVAP spot on the Gen2 that needs an elbow angling down. Also included a crappy pic of the EVAP provision installed on the Gen2 after the blower was installed.

0219191231c_resized (2).jpg
IMG_1433.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread