C.E. Light But Cant Read Code!

NATEUSMCSVT

MAN THAT BLOWS
Established Member
I have had a check engine light on for sometime now. If i hook it up the code reader at auto zone will not get any codes. What could be the problem? Also i just replaced the heater core and after 12 hours it was all put back together but now the motor misfires. is there anything that i could have done to cause this?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
For the missfire make sure that the coils and injectors are plugged in. If they are, remove the #4 coil to see if the spark plug tube filled up with coolant when you removed the heater core lines.

NATEUSMCSVT

MAN THAT BLOWS
Established Member
okay i will check but im pretty sure that nothing leeked out. Oh what bout the hook up under the dash for the codes? Why is it not working? can i replace it or is it all spaghetti with the entier wiring harness?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Does it power up the tester or does the tester have it's own power supply built in. Check the fuse to see if the DLC is getting power.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
at wide open it will blow my fuse to my radar that hooks up to the cig lighter outlet.

It specifically says in the owners manual to not use the cig lighter for accessories, that's what the accessory plug is for...but I use it anyways because my acc plug doesn't work :shrug:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
just looked under the hood. no coolant found.

Without removing the coil and using a mirror to look down into the plug well you won't be able to tell if there is fluid in there or not.

It's a normal concern and the amount of liquid needed to make it missfire is very small. It's just the first place that I would look without being able to pull codes.

NATEUSMCSVT

MAN THAT BLOWS
Established Member
i replaced the fuse that was burn for the acces/cig plug. im going after work to see if i can read codes with it. i will post tomorrow the result.

NATEUSMCSVT

MAN THAT BLOWS
Established Member
okay this is what the codes read.

p0171

Fuel trim Bank One Condition

1. If bank one and bank two are set together suspect a fuel pressure or MAF sensor
2. Oxygen sensor defective
3. Fuel injector problem

p0174

Fuel Trim Bank Two Condition
The ECM has detected a rich lean air fuel ratio condition on engine bank two

1. If bank one and two are set together suspect a fuel condition or MAF sensor fault
2. Failed HO2S21 whatever that means
3. Ignition misfire condition
4. Fuel injector problem
5. Engine Mechanical condition

How do i know if its a MAF problem or something with the fuel? I only really hear it when the boost is on and im out of vac say around 6 to 8 pounds.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Search codes p0171 and p0174. Most often it is a vac leak. Most often it is the lower intake PCV fitting. You might have ripped the elbow when working on the heater core connections at the firewall.

Could be a component like the MAF, but I'd start with simple checks first.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Could also be bad O2 Sensors. Drivers side is a piece of cake to change. Passenger side...not so much fun....

Change Fuel Filter if you haven't recently.....

Make sure all coil packs are fully plugged in till the tab clicks on the connector.

NATEUSMCSVT

MAN THAT BLOWS
Established Member
i know the site has the diagnostic codes here it just wont let me search for them.
i looked under the boot and every were around the air box and searched around the vac lines but saw nothing out of place.

NATEUSMCSVT

MAN THAT BLOWS
Established Member
i just installed headers and had to use a universal o2 sensor for both the driver and passenger side. I had to splice them but Im pretty sure i did that right. the two white splice together and the gray goes together and the black goes together so i don't think its the o2 there brand new.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The hego sensor wiring should not be cut and extended. It will mess with the readings. The sensor actually breathes through the wire sheathing.

JDM makes correct O2 extenders.

Can you datalog your sensors at all?

Users who are viewing this thread