C & L Elbow vs K&N FIPK Intakes

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Has anyone compared these two? It seems a lot of guys run C&L elbows with filters. Yet I do not see as many FIPK full systems. Which produces more HP? Does one have better flow than the other?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The C&L guys tend to build their own system. The FIPK is nice because you get everything you need in one box. I had the K&N and really liked it.

chrisheltra

Established Member
I doubt there is much difference between the two power wise. I went away from the K&N elbow for the C&L because the K&N buckled when you tightened the hose clamp on the TB side causing unmetered air to flow in. K&N = Plastic C&L = Metal.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
My truck had a K&N elbow on it when I bought it but it had the problem that Chris described. It creased on the bottom so I upgraded to the C&L as soon as I got my next paycheck.

thorntonSVT

Established Member
I have the K&N. Everything else is bone stock.. my truck runs at 9 #'s boost. I though lightnings were only rated at 8. Not sure if the K&N is giving me that extra pound. Would be nice to know though :)

chrisheltra

Established Member
I have the K&N. Everything else is bone stock.. my truck runs at 9 #'s boost. I though lightnings were only rated at 8. Not sure if the K&N is giving me that extra pound. Would be nice to know though :)

Some run a bit more but the stock gauge isnt the most accurate (if thats what your reading from). The cooler weather is probably contributing to it as well.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I doubt there is much difference between the two power wise. I went away from the K&N elbow for the C&L because the K&N buckled when you tightened the hose clamp on the TB side causing unmetered air to flow in. K&N = Plastic C&L = Metal.

My truck had a K&N elbow on it when I bought it but it had the problem that Chris described. It creased on the bottom so I upgraded to the C&L as soon as I got my next paycheck.

I think you guys must have overtightened the clamps, I never had that problem.

chrisheltra

Established Member
I think you guys must have overtightened the clamps, I never had that problem.

Nope sure didnt I had it on for a few years and over time it just collapsed. I assume its just a problem for some and not for others.:shrug:

IMHO when it comes to clamping surfaces metal>plastic.

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
i had the cl and switched to a kn elbow...the cl is metal which gets real heatsoaked sitting on top of the engine. the kn is a very complete kit for the money.
knsetup2.jpg

i still want to get a different filter, possibly the jlp box but this is what has been holding me over till i find somthing i like....i just wish it matched a little better.
kn32.jpg

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
i had the cl and switched to a kn elbow...the cl is metal which gets real heatsoaked sitting on top of the engine. the kn is a very complete kit for the money.

i was thinking the same thing, is the FIPK plastic just too thin, resulting in the bending problems? or is the hose clamp too agressive

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
Everything else up there is metal so why does it matter?
that is a good piont but i know that the cooler the air the better and when i used to touch the cl it would be hot to the touch and the kn is not.

maybe its just me but the if i can make the air going in just a lil cooler by changing the elbow i will...:beer:

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
So is it possible to swap out the plastic FIPK elbow for the C&L and still have everything fit correctly on the FIPK kit?

SVT2122

Established Member
My truck came with the FIPK And I've never had that problem with it, after seeing the C&L I'd recomend the K&N anyday over it.

Jroc

Established Member
why do you say that? what turned you off from the C&L?

x2. I'm not saying he's wrong, I would just like to know what he finds wrong with it.

I don't own a L, but I run a FIPK on my Cobra,(which uses the factory plastic inlet tube) and ran a C&L on my old 99 GT and I think both companies make very quality produces that work well and you would probably do fine with either.

I say C&L inlet pipe + K&N FIPK FTW!

bird_jenkins8

The Demon
Established Member
I'm running a C&L and think it's a well built piece.......I'm curious to know what you don't like about the C&L as well.....

TheDemon010-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread