C.O.P. gone bad?

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
what are the symptoms of a bad COP? Mine seems to be studdering at WOT only, pulls just fine under normal driving though...I didn't know if a bad COP would cause a dead cylinder all the time or possibly only under WOT. I plan to check them tomorrow evening for the appropriate ohm specs, but i just wanted to borrow some of your expertise.
BTW I washed my engine a couple hours before this symtom appeared which leads me to believe I may have fouled something...
Thanks,
-Joshua

Lightning_Bolt

2002 Lightning
Established Member
Mine was studdering at WOT and it turned out to be the last spark plug on drivers side had no electrode left on it. I would check your plugs first and start with the last spark plug on drivers side.

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Lightning_Bolt said:
Mine was studdering at WOT and it turned out to be the last spark plug on drivers side had no electrode left on it. I would check your plugs first and start with the last spark plug on drivers side.
Dammmit man, I just changed 'em. God I hate these plugs! lol
thanks for your input
-Joshua

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I chased the same problem for a while. Had NGK TR6s when it originally started. Turned out, i was running a plug the truck didnt like. i went from TR6s, to TR55s and now im running BR7s.

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Well, I drove to school this morning and it runs perfect again. So I assume something just needed to dry out, but thanks for the help fellas
-Joshua

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
How many miles can you expect to get on the stock cop?
ttt
I was researching them last night when I was expecting to have to buy some and they said they crap out as soon as 30k, but I'm still on my original set at 86k...I was going to upgrade to the Grannatelli (spelling?) Motorsports ones but alot of people say they can't tell a difference from stock...Accell has a set too for pretty cheap although I'm not sure as to their pro's/con's.
-Joshua

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Im running 'mostly' stock COP's (7 not 8) at 103k. I dont know what the official mileage rating is supposed to be, but in my experience they are to damned inconsistant to label with a 'rating'. Maybe someone can correct me on that.

I had an 02 GT that 2 COP's went bad at around 24000 miles, and not another until 76000 miles. My buddy has an 01 GT (that I assume use the same ones) and he lost the #5 COP at around 98000 miles. My L just lost the #4 COP at 99500 miles.

As far as 'upgraded' COP's like the grannatelli's, I probably wont be running anything like that until I'm already on a built block and working on a finer tune while attempting to push a wider gap.

Even then theres no reason to unless you want to run like a .42 gap while pushing 12-16 pounds.

RUNVS?

Established Member
I have the Accel COPs on my truck. Every bit as good as the factory units at a fraction of the cost.

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
thats funny about the GT cop, i replaced one on my 00 gt at 50k and now its at 55k and i have the same one gone bad again. wierd.

Users who are viewing this thread